Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress or?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress or?

Hello,

Whats the best system to use these days? I have used wordpress for years but it seems to be alot more unsecure these days.

Comments

• If you don't have to do regular editing, go for custom

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

WP is not insecure. Some plugins and themes are. The rest is proper use of fail2ban.

• What's the purpose for your web? If it's just for diary or your writing just use blogger

• Usually just static websites but use wordpress for the easy editing backend.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2017

I love Grav. https://www.getgrav.org

A bit like Wordpress on steroids with a bit less functionality. But whenever I am not building something by hand or need a certain Wordpress feature, Grav is my go-to solution. I should add that I hate everything database related with a passion and try to avoid it as often as possible. Mostly because I am a nationally certified moron when it comes to DBs. Grav does not need a database to work.

• Not much configuration work
    • Sync it over to another server and it works without any hassle out of the box again.
    • Backups are a breeze.
    • It has a nice backend for editing, but you can as well maintain everything from command line, if you prefer to.
    • It has Themes, Plugins and Skeletons.
    • Works great with Apache, just put it behind nginx for very heavy loads and it behaves like a rocket, compared to WP

Did I mention that it's free?
    Give it a try, I could imagine that you will like it.

• There is nothing like "the best CMS". But some are better suited for particular task, then others. Tell us what you want to do with it...

• I've tried several. I've used Grav, Ghost, Pico, and all of the latest and greatest, but I always go back to TextPattern. You can build every bit just as you want, and the templating system is very advanced compared to WP (and has been for over a decade). It has a slightly steep learning curve, but it's really nice. I've built tons of things using it over the years.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2017

@WSS - That one seems very nice, too - Will have a look into it!

Minutes later:

Before you can install Textpattern, you will need a MySQL database ready,

Okay, I am out. It is surely great - but, as said, me and databases... ;)

• A German afraid of databases is like a German afraid of, well, databases.

Thanked by 1pike
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2017

@WSS said:
    A German afraid of databases is like a German afraid of, well, databases.

I know, my fear of databases is a bit weird. And not very german.
    But this is what happens if there are databases:
    [...] what's wrong with storing client's databases on mega.nz? - BecomeWebHost

Thanked by 1WSS
  • I am with Amitz at least to a degree. I find it just in-fucking-credible how many toy, hobby, 3 page blogs, etc. are based on something that's based on mysql (besides the fact that mysql isn't a database but a disease).
    How about sqlite? Unless you don't have much more than 100k of anything sqlite will do just fine and faster than a sql server, too. Which translates to: 99% of all the mysql based web nonsense out there has got it pretty much wrong anyway. Which, in my personal opinion, is the real meaning of mysql anyway -> "Has got it wrong in some way".

Thanked by 3Amitz Lee sandro
  • Back in the day, "My first blog" was how people learned SQL. Not very well, but much like drivers' training- it was enough to get you past the test.

• bsdguy said: I find it just in-fucking-credible how many toy, hobby, 3 page blogs, etc. are based on

This is what I mean. There are, of course, perfect applications for databases. But not necessary for the above-mentioned ones.

• There's also nothing wrong for a dynamic blog/site running on a DB. Back in 2003, this was just how you did it.

If it's going to be mostly static with a twitter/fb feed, obviously there is little need for a local DB.

• @Amitz said:

bsdguy said: I find it just in-fucking-credible how many toy, hobby, 3 page blogs, etc. are based on

This is what I mean. There are, of course, perfect applications for databases. But not necessary for the above-mentioned ones.

Btw: With all them scripting languages having dynamic arrays, maps and whatnot plus (at least the better ones) serialisation, I'm wondering why they would use mysql instead of just dumping/reading their 300 users and 30 blog post metadata to/from a fucking file. Would be not any slower (quite the contrary) and more practical, too.

• @bsdguy said:

Make a CSV parser that works for all CSV formats.

• Any alternative for multisite wp, with user = site registration?

• whats wrong with mysql and DBes?

• wp and seo works well

• @sandro said:
    whats wrong with mysql and DBes?

Some would be running the MySQL server and performing regular database backups. It's a bit overkill for static sites with minor editing and updates.

• @CyberneticTitan said:

@sandro said:
    whats wrong with mysql and DBes?

Some would be running the MySQL server and performing regular database backups. It's a bit overkill for static sites with minor editing and updates.

So if I wanted to built a dynamic website with grav that doesn't rely on static files it would be stupid?

• @sandro Do you come here just to ask questions that are distinctly against the entire design and ideology of the product?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2017

I have been using Kirby for a few months, really enjoying it, more than grav. Databases optional.

• Static web : I have been using Jekyll for a few months, really enjoying it.

• @Lee said:
    I have been using Kirby for a few months, really enjoying it, more than grav. Databases optional.

Just to add that Kirby is commercial.

Having to use a database with a CMS may be overkill for a small site, but I guess that the intention behind many CMSes is that they should scale well in the case of big sites. If one is already running MySQL for an independent reason, it may not be such a big deal to use it for a CMS as well.

• @WSS said: I've tried several. I've used Grav, Ghost, Pico, and all of the latest and greatest, but I always go back to TextPattern.

I knew about the first ones but I don't know about TextPattern. I'll take a look.

• That is interesting and perhaps another project called Hugo which people says it is even faster.
    Do you know it?

@bap said:
    Static web : I have been using Jekyll for a few months, really enjoying it.

• @cpsd said: That is interesting and perhaps another project called Hugo which people says it is even faster.

Since we're talking about static sites, it's not clear whether minor speed differences in site generation are so important. For small(er) sites, this is unlikely to be an significant issue.

In practice, the question of Jekyll vs Hugo probably comes down to a question of Ruby vs Go.

• @elofty said:
    Hello,

Whats the best system to use these days? I have used wordpress for years but it seems to be alot more unsecure these days.

I agree with @PUSHRcdn. Wordpress is insecure when you are less aware of plugins use and hosting provider selection.
    Today, no other platform is offer as much as customization and user friendly interfaces to maintain a site. But wordpress is always the best for every non-technical and professional bloggers. I would like to suggest you the following few fundamental tips to follow and have check list.
    Secure Your WordPress Site in 9 Quick and Easy Ways

• @MarkWilson: You've just signed up, two posts so far, both linking to your web site. Take it easy on the maple syrup.