Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retrieve Checked Checkboxes Value from Database using AJAX
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Retrieve Checked Checkboxes Value from Database using AJAX

I have a php form where I have multiple list in checkbox format to be retrieved from MySQL database. Say for example:

<form>
<label><input type="checkbox" name="diskusage[]" value="gleen" />Glenn</label>
<label><input type="checkbox" name="diskusage[]" value="peter" />Peter</label>
<label><input type="checkbox" name="diskusage[]" value="louis" />Louis</label>
<label><input type="checkbox" name="diskusage[]" value="freddy" />Freddy</label>
<label><input type="checkbox" name="diskusage[]" value="mark" />Mark</label>
</form>
<br>
<div id="result"><b>Total Disk Usage from selected user is:</b></div>

And table in database:

+----+--------------+---------------+
| id |  username    |   diskusage   |
|  1 |  glenn       |       200     |
|  2 |  freddy      |       120     |
|  3 |  peter       |       400     |
|  4 |  louis       |        50     |
|  5 |  mark        |       380     |

Can anyone help, how to sum data usage from the selected checkbox to displayed automatically with AJAX?
I tried to googling to find tutorial about this, but mostly is using selectbox or text input as example.

Comments

• bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited September 2017

You can use onclick="yourAjaxFunction('freddy')" on the checkbox but that won't register the keyboard selections. You can try onchange, but I haven't tried that one myself.

• do $('#checkbox').is(':checked'); on onclick event. If it is, add the value of input to x variable

Thanked by 1WSS
  • bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited September 2017

@jetchirag using jquery for such a small task is definitely overkill and will increase loading time significantly on slower connections for no reason.

if(document.getElementById("checkbox").checked) { do shit } should be fine.

• bapbap Member
    edited September 2017

Link <= Here is the link.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2017

@bap said:
    Link <= Here is the link.

What does this have to do with JS/Ajax?

• bugrakoc said: @jetchirag using jquery for such a small task is definitely overkill and will increase loading time significantly on slower connections for no reason.

Actually data in table is about +500 row, so I think using ajax may be better, although I don't understand much about programming. Usually I just follow the tutorial and similar examples which I found.

Currently I am using something similar to this

• jQuery and AJAX are different.

• @Bayu said:

bugrakoc said: @jetchirag using jquery for such a small task is definitely overkill and will increase loading time significantly on slower connections for no reason.

Actually data in table is about +500 row, so I think using ajax may be better, although I don't understand much about programming. Usually I just follow the tutorial and similar examples which I found.

Currently I am using something similar to this

Why do you want ajax? I think you are confused between differences in both

• BayuBayu Member
    edited September 2017

bugrakoc said: jQuery and AJAX are different.

I don't know what the difference, as I don't know much about code. Because when I search for it, the word "ajax" is mentioned in the title.

jetchirag said: Why do you want ajax? I think you are confused between differences in both

When I search php & mysql tutorial/example, one of them I found like this:
    https://www.w3schools.com/php/php_ajax_database.asp

Somewhat similiar as I needed, but the tutorial example is using dropdown instead using checkbox as input.