Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moderate lowendbox's comments?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moderate lowendbox's comments?

I've seen a bunch of nonsense comments on LEB, they really don't add anything to the discussion but I think the reason they're doing it is to build back links to their site?

The time wasted reading those are starting to add up.

Comments

• xsetxset Member

Nobody has time to moderate

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

The site is nofollow anyway, so who would care enough to do that?

• wychwych Member
    edited August 2013

@SplitIce said:
    The site is nofollow anyway, so who would care enough to do that?

Nofollows can still help a site for SEO, no where near as much as dofollows though, plus they may also be doing it for the actual human reading the post to click the link...

EDIT- My stats show LET taking 3rd/4th position for referrals for my site since adding to my sig.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2013

1st here, but I would like to think I am not the target audience.

Funily enough its the case with most forums, but as soon as you stop posting so does the traffic.

1st here :P But a relatively small amount in total. I dont even want to know what #10 is about.

• wychwych Member

@SplitIce said:
    1st here :P But a relatively small amount in total. I dont even want to know what #10 is about.

At least there not flooding in from #10!

• I'll talk to Jon about this.

• xsetxset Member

@mpkossen @black Youre not seriously considering starting to moderate each comment before they can be posted to the site? It slows down too much the discussion flow.

• @xset said:
    mpkossen black Youre not seriously considering starting to moderate each comment before they can be posted to the site? It slows down too much the discussion flow.

I agree. Discussions fall apart when messages get delayed.

• @xset said:
    mpkossen black Youre not seriously considering starting to moderate each comment before they can be posted to the site? It slows down too much the discussion flow.

That's already the case for most comments. Anyway, I've proposed more moderators/more moderation :-)

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited August 2013

It is pretty fine with the current commenting rules. Mods, however, should read the comments more frequently and delete/modify the ones indicating spam/rubbish.

• xsetxset Member

@mpkossen said:
    That's already the case for most comments. Anyway, I've proposed more moderators/more moderation :-)

Sign me up :)

• @DalComp said:
    It is pretty fine with the current commenting rules. Mods, however, should read the comments more frequently and delete/modify the ones indicating spam/rubbish.

Exactly.

• @DalComp said:

I don't see problem so much in moderators activity (you would be surprised how much we're around in every single day...) than the fact that there is atleast 20% of posted content crap which don't add any value to LET and could be easily removed without any loss.
    And then we have another problem... lets guess which one. It's hard to do anything in community with so many members so full of themself bothering if their offtopic spam post get deleted but not hesitating with insults about nazi moderators. With a little bit more respect among people some things would be easier.

We try to moderate forum with common sense in a sensible way using moderation privileges sparingly only when really needed. This doesn't mean that we're lazy, that we don't monitor threads and you would be surprised how many posts daily get flagged and then (in case of removal) complains, anger, frustrations. And don't think that some "respectable" members are any better. Often right opposite. It's not fun to deal with them at all and then again - we do this on daily basis. For some we're opressors who overmoderate forum. For others right opposite - we don't moderate it enough. Where is the truth? Most likely somewhere in the middle floating among various members interests trying to made as best as possible decision for every potential problematic situation.

• @Spirit I don't see a problem with LET moderation either. User complaints are problem of every moderator in every forum. However, I think we are talking about obvious link spamming here. In LET if mods are missing a spammy comment/thread, members may help hitting the flag button. But there is no such feature on LEB, which is why I think mods should be more proactive there.

• How about a voting/karma system?

If a comment gets too many negative votes it disappears or/and the author gets banned a for a few hours/days.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2013

@DalComp out of curiosity - how would you classify "please test this IP" threads? Or "we expanded to" industry news? Or "market research" threads? Especially those which ask for opinions about new location or new hosting plan and let us talk about company and their plans few days with regular threads starter's thread bumping till they don't actually offer this new location/plan.

• @Spirit said:
    how would you classify

Spam? No.
    Violating rules? No.
    Annoying? Probably.

and let us talk about company and their plans few days with regular threads starter's thread bumping till they don't actually offer this new location/plan.

While I do find some threads are annoying, at times I can see nice information within the discussion

• IvanIvan Member

I've noticed sometimes spam threads do get deleted quick, really quick. But not always, sometimes they do stick around ;) Maybe it's because most of the mods are sleeping when I'm browsing, lol.

• xsetxset Member

Im pretty active since 26th July. Over 500 comments. Make me a moderator and you will not regret it ;)

• wychwych Member

How many people actually flag spam when they see it?
    I do, just wondered what userbase ignores vs reports...

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited August 2013

@wych said:

I do

• How many people actually flag spam when they see it? I do, just wondered what userbase ignores vs reports...

@wych I usually see 1 - 4 spam reports per spam(bot) post. Ordinary members "offtopic spam" is reported much less but still more than a few reports in a day. Those reports are helpful because we see them before regular scanning through all new posts/threads so we can act faster.
    Real offences are easy to deal with, more complicated is when someone rightly report some members offtopic/spam post, few others quote and discuss about it so unless we remove also all following comments removal sometimes isn't best option (depend from situation).
    Just in case of curiosity I check Moderation Queve/Flagged content usually atleast 30 times / per day and @mpkossen at least as often as me. Before I became moderator I skipped threads which didn't interest me, now this isn't an option, I check them all.
    Sometimes when we see some minor unimportant offence we may let it through, but most of them are dealt. In case of doubt regarding some flagged content (it happens every now and then) I leave it to administrators to decide.
    Answered? :)

• wychwych Member

@Spirit said:

Yes, an in depth answer for certain!

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • I'd be ok with only moderating comments that have a website link. Honestly, if that was the case, I think the meaningless comments would stop.