Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Java default heap allocations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Java default heap allocations

vemacsvemacs Member

Also known as: Help me win an internet argument.

Can you run java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -version | grep HeapSize and paste results, as well as amount of memory, and OpenJDK7/Oracle?

If you're feeling adventurous, you can try downloading the Spigot Minecraft implementation:

wget http://ci.md-5.net/job/Spigot/1073/artifact/Spigot-Server/target/spigot.jar
java -jar spigot.jar

tl;dr: Trying to convince people that Java defaults don't always work.

Comments

• The defaults vary per machine. It might not work for what you do. It also varies per operating system, 32 vs 64 bit and many factors.

• @concerto49: Exactly. Unfortunately, some people don't understand that.

• @vemacs said:
    concerto49: Exactly. Unfortunately, some people don't understand that.

Just add the memory flags and get over it :)

• JavaHostJavaHost Member
    edited August 2013

@concerto49 said:
    Just add the memory flags and get over it :)

-Xmsn
    Specify the initial size, in bytes, of the memory allocation pool. This value must be a multiple of 1024 greater than 1MB. Append the letter k or K to indicate kilobytes, or m or M to indicate megabytes. The default value is 2MB. Examples:
           -Xms6291456
           -Xms6144k
           -Xms6m

-Xmxn
    Specify the maximum size, in bytes, of the memory allocation pool. This value must a multiple of 1024 greater than 2MB. Append the letter k or K to indicate kilobytes, or m or M to indicate megabytes. The default value is 64MB. Examples:
           -Xmx83886080
           -Xmx81920k
           -Xmx80m

I've seen these values different for each OS & version (java and os)...
    Usually it's around 2GB+ on windows and 1GB on Linux.
    Just use these flags and your all set especially the Xmx.

• @JavaHost said:
    Usually it's around 2GB+ on windows and 1GB on Linux. Just use these flags and your all set especially the Xmx.

There's a formula. It depends on the maximum available memory on your machine.

• JavaHostJavaHost Member
    edited August 2013

@concerto49 said:
    There's a formula. It depends on the maximum available memory on your machine.

I believe that's correct. I read something about that before, but i think that might only apply after 1.4.