Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal use container??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Personal use container??

Hey, which container software would you recommend just for personal use & why? SolusVM or virtualizor, I am also open to opinions for other containers.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Wait, are you looking for a control panel or trying to decide which virtualization technology to use? Does it have to be a container or would a VM work?

• Proxmox is perfect for personal, and it's free.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @KuJoe said:
    Wait, are you looking for a control panel or trying to decide which virtualization technology to use? Does it have to be a container or would a VM work?

Well I have a server that I am going to use for personal use & I wanted to create VMs on it for whatever my needs are.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@ValuedCloud said:

@KuJoe said:

Well I have a server that I am going to use for personal use & I wanted to create VMs on it for whatever my needs are.

Then don't pay for a control panel, there are plenty of free ones out there that are perfect for personal use. Proxmox, XenServer, and ESXi are all good solutions.

• run QEMU/libvirt, put on a cluster of coreos/kube in kvm, pretend like you have a cloud

• Go with Open Source Vistulization Management Platform (Proxmox) if you are going to use /create VMs for personal use.

• a2razora2razor Member
    edited September 2017

@ValuedCloud said:
    Hey, which container software would you recommend just for personal use & why? SolusVM or virtualizor, I am also open to opinions for other containers.

-If personal use without the need to run custom kernels, and if you don't need custom TCP settings per instance, then OpenVZ and LXC should be considered. (for their low overhead and for resource-sharing)

That said, if you go PV (eg, OpenVZ) rather than full virtualization ... odds are you're going to need to do special things by-hand either way [like allowing access to modules]. -- so I'm not sure a GUI manager really helps

• if you want to virtualize Windows, VMware ESXI better than promox an XenServer

• Proxmox it's free and easy and stable to use. Most of the dedicated providers have ready installation templates.

• There's always good old virt-install. If you don't want to learn how to manage it from the command line, virt-manager exists.