Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Custom NameServer options for multiple cPanel Reseller Accounts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Custom NameServer options for multiple cPanel Reseller Accounts?

Hi,
I'm trying to help a friend and this is out of my area of expertise. Any help would be appreciated.

If someone owns 5-6 cPanel reseller accounts across different providers setting up a DNS cluster isn't possible, based on my understanding. Instead this is the current setup:

(Server 1)
ns1.domain.com
ns2.domain.com

(Server 2)
ns3.domain.com
ns4.domain.com

(Server 3)
ns5.domain.com
ns6.domain.com

(Server 4)
ns7.domain.com
ns8.domain.com

etc.
etc
etc.
etc.

Is there a way to have domains being hosted across all 5-6 reseller accounts on different provider use the same name servers?

ns1.samedomain.com
ns2.samedomain.com
ns3.samedomain.com
ns4.samedomain.com

Regards and thanks in advance for replies.

Comments

• You can run own DNS server or use CloudFlare or any other DNS provider.

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • @jetchirag said:
    You can run own DNS server or use CloudFlare or any other DNS provider.

Thanks for your reply. A DNS cluster can be set up without root access for all servers?

• @Waldo19 said:

@jetchirag said:
    You can run own DNS server or use CloudFlare or any other DNS provider.

Thanks for your reply. A DNS cluster can be set up without root access for all servers?

No He means run independent dns not using cpanel. I use a company called zonomi. Much easier than faffing around and maintaining your own servers but with the added bonus for worldwide mirrors.

Think i Pay $1 per domain per year currently have about 50 domains with them

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • elofty said: zonomi

Many thanks for the clarification and suggested company. I was unaware of what options were present. Zonomi looks promising and cost effective. Web design leaves something to be desired but I can get over that if the company is solid, etc.

I'll look more into them and there competitors. Again, many thanks.

• I've used them since 2010 with the only issues ever being to do with their website went down once or twice. their dns always stayed solid.

Billed monthly based on your current usage figures too.

• @elofty said:
    I've used them since 2010 with the only issues ever being to do with their website went down once or twice. their dns always stayed solid.

Billed monthly based on your current usage figures too.

Seems nice to me too, any solid reason you can give for me to switch from cloud flare to this?

• dont really know anything about cloud flare so cant comment

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • zonomi

There's also cloudNS. I'd recommend cloudNS to anyone.

Thanks for sharing zonomi, I may end up using them. Looks like they don't have as many PoPs as cloudNS though, and their quote about instant updates seems a little misleading.

When you change a DNS record each name server is updated immediately. Unlike traditional name servers you do not need to wait minutes or hours for the change to propagate.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

You'll be need to have root access of all servers for do this properly.

But, you can also do this with your reseller accounts. It's will not glue properly, others IP will not respond, but your websites should work fine as server's main IP will listed on at least one name server.

- Shakib Khan

• @ricardo said:

zonomi

Thanks for sharing zonomi, I may end up using them. Looks like they don't have as many PoPs as cloudNS though, and their quote about instant updates seems a little misleading.

When you change a DNS record each name server is updated immediately. Unlike traditional name servers you do not need to wait minutes or hours for the change to propagate.

Any changes I make happen instantly. sometimes a bit slower with the work computers but at home I use google dns and its rapid.

• they also permit custom name servers i.e. i use my own domian so ns*.mbdns.uk

• @elofty said:

@ricardo said:

zonomi

Any changes I make happen instantly. sometimes a bit slower with the work computers but at home I use google dns and its rapid.

It's same with cloudflare. Changes are instant beside being it free. If your sole purpose is using dns, you can turn of proxy feature and take benefit of their great network

• Yeah, it's pretty normal for a change to be 'instant', but depending on TTLs and caching, for most intents and purposes it's not instant.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Anyone claiming it isn't "instant" means that the service doesn't do an immediate commit of your changes. Once you update your serial, your slave servers should be notified, and pull the updated zone.

However, as mentioned by @ricardo, this isn't always how it works. Any external nameserver can easily cache your existing data until your TTL expires, which is commonly around 5-10 minutes, but can be longer.

I've dealt with some really awful nameservers that enforce their own TTL rather than yours, but thankfully that hasn't been in several years.

• @WSS said:
    Anyone claiming it isn't "instant" means that the service doesn't do an immediate commit of your changes. Once you update your serial, your slave servers should be notified, and pull the updated zone.

However, as mentioned by @ricardo, this isn't always how it works. Any external nameserver can easily cache your existing data until your TTL expires, which is commonly around 5-10 minutes, but can be longer.

I've dealt with some really awful nameservers that enforce their own TTL rather than yours, but thankfully that hasn't been in several years.

then instant messaging isn't instant as well. Most of dns changes I made in cloudflare reflected withing 5-10 min which worked for me. By external nameservers do you mean domain provder's nameserver?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 2017

jetchirag said: then instant messaging isn't instant as well. Most of dns changes I made in cloudflare reflected withing 5-10 min which worked for me. By external nameservers do you mean domain provder's nameserver?

There's a separation between the idea of "your changes have been submitted and applied" and "what the rest of the world will see if they done a DNS lookup just now and if they have an older response cached, or any intermediates' cache". If you set a TTL of 86400 seconds and made a change, chances are you won't see your update for another day.

• @jetchirag said:
    then instant messaging isn't instant as well.

Irrelevant.

Most of dns changes I made in cloudflare reflected withing 5-10 min which worked for me. By external nameservers do you mean domain provder's nameserver?

I mean any nameserver which isn't a master or slave for serving your zone.

• WSS said: Irrelevant

I knew it was but it was the first thing came into mind. I typed and erased it 2 times but couldn't resist