Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do on a dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to do on a dedicated server

utkunutkun Member
edited January 2012 in General

Hello guys,
I have a dedicated server lying around, which I think wouldn't count as "low end", it has 2 GB RAM, 100 GB HDD, nice traffic, etc. The problem is that I leased it for no reason whatsoever. It's just lying around, because I like the idea of having a server. :P I'm looking for something to put up there, what do you use your dedicated servers or VPSes for? What are some cool apps etc that I could put up there? I can think of installing a gameserver, or use it for as a proxy server... Can you think of anything "useful" like those?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• host adult website.

• Use the search function to look at the numerous "What to do with idle VPS" threads. Same ideas apply.

Thanked by 1utkun
  • Couln't find any of those in the forum via the search.

• Install OpenVZ kernel and make a bunch of tiny vm'z for your friends.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • I was going to suggest a gameserver as well, VPN, websites or even your own VPS's? There's plenty of things you could host on it, just depends what interests you :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

Change the password and gimme :D

I'm just cuirous, is this at home, or colo'd or is it rented? If it's laying round and not being used why waste your money?

As @GBServersLtd said, it depends on what interests you. I would probebly have totally different uses than you would.

• Start a VPS hosting company. You can probably put 100+ 128MB $15/y clients on that.

• Starting a hosting company won't work, you won't get that many IPs allocated on the server. Web hosting might work tho, but turning it into a company would be too much of a trouble. Better offer free hosting to your friends or sponsor some clans a Teamspeak server.

• @charliecron said: Install OpenVZ kernel and make a bunch of tiny vm'z for your friends.

But what is, when those vms got hacked, or sth else shit happens?

• Just delete them when they get hacked.

They arent going to have their own IP's anyway.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited January 2012

Is it at least quad-core and RAID-1, housed in a reputable datacentre, backed by a reputable company that offers a hardware-replacement guarantee, and less than $75 month?

If it isn't, I'd shut it down & cancel. It's not 2005 anymore :) Spin up a quality VPS when you need it.

• When I said it wasn't that "low end", I didn't mean it was a monster. The processor is too lame for running bunch of VPS or stuff like that, only **one ** cool thing at a time is all it can handle (hopefully), even that'll get the server overloaded probably. Processor is Celeron 1.2 Ghz, so bear that in mind :)

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

Mine BitCoins/LiteCoins on it..

• Throw cPanel on it, and do shared hosting. That server is more than adequate for that.

• @SpeedBus said: Mine BitCoins/LiteCoins on it..

You're not even going to get 1 bitcoin in a year doing that.

• @justinb said: You're not even going to get 1 bitcoin in a year doing that.

Hehehe

@utkun said: Processor is Celeron 1.2 Ghz,

Oh, is a Kimsufi 2G

• @yomero said: Hehehe

Even with a dual quad xeon or whatever, same deal. There are spergs running 4000+ GPU rigs raising difficulty level.

• I still have my original servers that I bought way back when. Most of them still work (Some got whacked for parts.) and they just sit at home running @Home scripts.

May want to consider a legit file sharing service. Something like http://etree.org if you're into stuff like that. I know when I was first starting, I put up some of the Grateful Dead and Phish concerts in the extra space on my servers and let others download them.

Just some thoughts.

• Use it for offsite backups?
    Run a gameserver? (small minecraft/srcds or similar should be fine)

• @Basil said: Use it for offsite backups?

I think that might be overkill. An entire box for a single client's backups....

• vmhostsvmhosts Member
    edited January 2012

save the world and power it off. If your hosting this it has to be far more expensive to run than other newer alternatives out there

• seederseeder Member
    edited February 2012

what you can do is install transmission daemon and apache2 and let me have access to it :)

I'll fix all your problems with what to do with your VPS lol

if you want i can turn your Transmission public, every body will be able to upload their
    torrents on your Server :D