Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone have any experience of vyprvpn?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

anyone have any experience of vyprvpn?

I apparently get a vyprvpn package free with my giganews account, and I'm wondering if anyone has much experience with them? I occasionally VPN for location sensitive stuff (mostly back to the UK for iplayer when i'm away).

Comments

• GunterGunter Member
    edited August 2013

VyprVPN is known for it's heavy logging and full cooperation with law enforcement entities.

I've used it before. It was... OK. L2TP services were semi-reliable, PPTP was horribly misconfigured in it's custom client. Didn't have access to OpenVPN.

GigaNews sucks either way. Overpriced and terrible in many ways.

• not to mention a lot of vyprvpn accounts been hacked,leaked and sold around the black market.

• I honestly only think I've used it to get to iplayer from abroad, and one time i was bored i wanted to see if i could get Pandora working on my phone from the UK (surprisingly easy). Thanks for the warnings, might have to find myself something more suitable.

darknyan: I never had any trouble with giganews in the 6 or 7 years I've been with them but I'm open to suggestions. Would you care to suggest an alternative?

cosmicgate: meaning someone else could have my account details and be using them? My logon, password and registered email address there aren't tied to me in any way, so hopefully no harm done if that's the case.

I'm considering setting up a VPN on one of my spare LEBs, but not really sure on what type i should be using. I've used PPTP and L2TP with vyprvpn, but i'd need to check what my various bits of hardware would support.

• @cosmicgate said:
    not to mention a lot of vyprvpn accounts been hacked,leaked and sold around the black market.

They go for around $4-6 US. 9 for OpenVPN AFAIK.

@adrock said:
    darknyan: I never had any trouble with giganews in the 6 or 7 years I've been with them but I'm open to suggestions. Would you care to suggest an alternative?

I've heard good from astraweb.

I'm considering setting up a VPN on one of my spare LEBs, but not really sure on what type i should be using. I've used PPTP and L2TP with vyprvpn, but i'd need to check what my various bits of hardware would support.

OpenVPN. Extremely easy (dozens of setup scripts floating on the Internet, that will do it for you in minutes, or OpenVPN access server.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-install-openvpn-access-server-on-ubuntu-12-04