Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CDN-related questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CDN-related questions

Hi, I am using a dedicated server mainly for web hosting. I would ideally like to achieve the following two objectives:

1. quick failover to a low-spec VPS for my websites (not DNS based)
  2. storage of photos and similar assets nearer the client / end user

Can CDN help me achieve both objectives, in principle at least? Does CDN (push) storage mean distributed (i.e. mirrored) storage, or is it plain old file storage? I am, for instance, considering the services of BunnyCDN and Cloudflare. Would they serve my two objectives? If not, are there any other CDN providers that would?

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2017

CDN cant host ur websites so #1 is not possible. #2 is possible and primary use for CDN. CDN basically mirrors ur images to server around the world and choses closest location for each viewer.

• @stefeman said:
    CDN cant host ur websites so #1 is not possible. #2 is possible and primary use for CDN. CDN basically mirrors ur images to server around the world and choses closest location for each viewer.

Last time I opened my bunnycdn zone url. It reflected complete site. Possibly we could use main domain as zone url and content from another subdomain?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2017

@jetchirag said:

@stefeman said:

Last time I opened my bunnycdn zone url. It reflected complete site. Possibly we could use main domain as zone url and content from another subdomain?

If it has built in reverse proxy like cloudflare, then #1 is possible.

• Thanks for your responses. I should have expressed myself more clearly:

I understand that CDN is not a web hosting service. I just need to confirm that CDN can act as a monitor, to enable the switch from my dedicated main server to a VPS failover server (and vice versa).

Similarly, I understand that the primary use of CDN is to bring content nearer the client / end user. My question is whether this can only be achieved by running multiple web servers and having CDN pick the optimal one, or also by using the CDN storage service offered by CDN service providers, for specific (relatively 'heavy') assets such as photos.

• @kotsius said:
    Thanks for your responses. I should have expressed myself more clearly:

I understand that CDN is not a web hosting service. I just need to confirm that CDN can act as a monitor, to enable the switch from my dedicated main server to a VPS failover server (and vice versa).

Similarly, I understand that the primary use of CDN is to bring content nearer the client / end user. My question is whether this can only be achieved by running multiple web servers and having CDN pick the optimal one, or also by using the CDN storage service offered by CDN service providers, for specific (relatively 'heavy') assets such as photos.

What? CDNs are only meant to redistribute content closer to the user. (CDNs are not built to monitor servers for you and perform failover actions.)

• qtwrkqtwrk Member
    edited September 2017

@kotsius said:
    Thanks for your responses. I should have expressed myself more clearly:

cloudflare on paid service has such thing.

You can set up 2 servers by load balancer , and they will monitor servers , if one goes down, traffic will redirect to other , and traffic will also be split due to geolocation, but you should check it out

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/sections/206719048-Load-Balancing

• Indeed, Cloudflare charges $5/mo for the 60″ failover monitoring service. Not ideal, but at least it is available as an option with their (otherwise) free plan.

It seems that CDN push-type storage invariably equates to vanilla file storage, far away from the edge servers (prior to any caching). CDNsun claim that "storage servers have premium connectivity to [their] edge servers", but I am not sure that this counts for much.

Thanks for all your comments.