Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xen question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xen question

Is Xen similar to KVM that VMs run their own kernel? What I do know is Linux only. But I'm not sure if each has their own kernel

Sorry if this is a common question, but since Xen is not common nowadays I forgot the answer tot he question.

Comments

• Xen HVM can run any OS, IIRC.

If your provider supports it, Xen-PV servers can run their own kernel with pygrub/pvgrub/something ending in grub

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

There are 2 types, -pv and -HVM
    pv from paravirtualization, while runs own kernel (can without too) is a special kernel aware is running in a VM and has special relations with the host kernel.
    HVM can run unmodified OSes, including windows.

Now there is a project to take the advantages of PV to hvm, promissing so far.

• If pv, and I only need Linux, is it safe to assume it will behave like KVM? Meaning it's not hackish as OpenVZ and I expect things to run like a dedicated?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It depends, pv does not support booting from iso, for example, but supports debootstrap.
    You can expect most things to work as in a kvm, though, you have "real" emulated nics, can compile own kernel, if the original one lacks support for something, etc. Most distros have xen kernels.

• @jcaleb said:
    If pv, and I only need Linux, is it safe to assume it will behave like KVM? Meaning it's not hackish as OpenVZ and I expect things to run like a dedicated?

Yes.

• Thanks for the answers!

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

XenHVM is good for Windows OS.

I am using XenHVM and never face a any issue(Easy to upgrade/downgrade and easy to manage/debug,etc)

Thanked by 1jcaleb