Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you people know about hetzner's CX10 package or the entire CX series?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you people know about hetzner's CX10 package or the entire CX series?

I just stumbled upon on this VPS known as hetzner. Their packages seem cheap and worth, but I am wondering Is it really worth the price?

https://www.hetzner.com/virtual-server/cx10

They stated the Hard drives are SSD, but I noticed here
https://serverscope.io/trials/3Znd#system
The random read/write speed is horrible. It's low as much as 5MB/s. Is that true? or anyone has a reliable report of this series or the CX10 package? how about the latency?

If you are using this this CX10 package or any other package in the entire CX series, can you please check it with this serverscope.io and share its result with us? Thank you so much for reading, hope you will help me too.

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2017

CUTA said: They stated the Hard drives are SSD

They are:

root@s :: ~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 2.01548 s, 533 MB/s

They also, unlike most Hetzner dedicated servers, have 10G shared connectivity internal and external which however is not advertised or guaranteed:

root@s :: ~# wget -O /dev/null http://sbg.proof.ovh.net/files/10Gio.dat
    --2017-09-16 06:54:57--  http://sbg.proof.ovh.net/files/10Gio.dat
    Resolving sbg.proof.ovh.net (sbg.proof.ovh.net)... 2001:41d0:8:a051::1, 5.135.128.81
    Connecting to sbg.proof.ovh.net (sbg.proof.ovh.net)|2001:41d0:8:a051::1|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 10737418240 (10G) [application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig]
    Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

/dev/null                                           23%[=========================>]   2.35G   101MB/s    eta 1m 46s

This is a CX40.

CUTA said: can you please check it with this serverscope.io

No, don't trust their scripts, especially not as root

Thanked by 1CUTA
  • So are you saying their hard drives are fast as digital ocean, vultr ?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@CUTA said:
    So are you saying their hard drives are fast as digital ocean, vultr ?

Its certainly SSD and performance seems to be pretty good.

Thanked by 1CUTA
  • No idea, don't use larger plans of either. Certainly not something i would complain about on my plan, which does get nice 200GB of SSD/8GB RAM for just 20EUR which with the 10G added is damn nice even compared to Hetzner dedicated/Serverboerse.

Thanked by 2CUTA vimalware
  • @MikePT said:

@CUTA said:

I see. Thanks. If you could provide me a reliable report like serverscope.io, I would be more appreciating.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited September 2017

@CUTA said:

@MikePT said:

@CUTA said:

I see. Thanks. If you could provide me a reliable report like serverscope.io, I would be more appreciating.

I do not have any VPS from Hetzner. Im assuming it by the link you posted. The results are pretty good.

Thanked by 1CUTA
  • @William said:
    No idea, don't use larger plans of either. Certainly not something i would complain about on my plan, which does get nice 200GB of SSD/8GB RAM for just 20EUR which with the 10G added is damn nice even compared to Hetzner dedicated/Serverboerse.

I see. thank you too. I am wondering do you have a full report or something in performance as in serverscope?

• 1500 iops on a cheap vps is pretty good. Calling it 5MB/s is misleading. The sequential read speed will be much better than that.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @willie said:
    1500 iops on a cheap vps is pretty good. Calling it 5MB/s is misleading. The sequential read speed will be much better than that.

A full report is much better if it's possible :)

• @CUTA said:

@willie said:
    1500 iops on a cheap vps is pretty good. Calling it 5MB/s is misleading. The sequential read speed will be much better than that.

why not order one, check it out and cancel the order within 14 days if you don't like it? that's what their trial period is for...

anyway reading benchmarks vs. understanding them and relate the numbers to real life performance are quite some different things I suppose.

Thanked by 2Amitz CUTA
  • CUTACUTA Member
    edited September 2017

@Falzo said:

@CUTA said:

@willie said:

why not order one, check it out and cancel the order within 14 days if you don't like it? that's what their trial period is for...

anyway reading benchmarks vs. understanding them and relate the numbers to real life performance are quite some different things I suppose.

Yeah I thought about that too, but this is not the only server I checked out. I have handful of them at the moment, so I hesitate to spend like that whenever I have to check a server. anyway I asked a couple of questions from them, if I got a positive reply I will order and check it out myself.

• I use a CX20 as Webserver/Database and am happy with it. Never had any downtime or trouble.

• CUTA said: A full report is much better if it's possible :)

Well, you wrote that the 5MB/s random i/o speed was pretty horrible, but in fact it's pretty good because of the amount of iops, so it's not about benchmark reports it's about knowing how to read them.

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

^ if anyone used to watch "The Nanny" on tv you would get that reference lol

• Been using the VX line for a few years in production and never had any performance issues with it. Transitioned to the CX shortly after the phase-out of VX and again: couldn't be happier.
    Btw: Migration was as easy and fast as it could have been!

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@CUTA We don't disclose any specifics.

We agree with @willie; we feel 1500 IOPS is pretty good. But of course, if you use a small block size like 4K, you will only get 6MB/s.

If you try out one of our servers and you are unhappy with its performance, you have some time before you can cancel the order and not have to pay for the days you have had the server, as @Falzo said. --Katie

Thanked by 4Falzo Amitz CConner WSS
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@Hetzner_OL can you buy TB's?

• @Hetzner_OL can you buy TB's?

Yes.