Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's compare the 2,99 ovh dedi with leb offers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Let's compare the 2,99 ovh dedi with leb offers

marrcomarrco Member
edited August 2013 in General

Here is what I really got form ovh, Debian 7 64bit was setup and updated properly

• UNMANAGED server
  • great control panel, maybe the best in the market
  • dedicated resources, where i can use 100% of all my cpu cores all time and loop DD test 24/7
  • CPU model : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800 @ 1.86GHz
  • Number of cores : 4
  • CPU frequency : 1862.000 MHz
  • Total amount of ram : 1978 MB
  • Total amount of swap : 512 MB
  • Total amount disk : 500 GB
  • Network: 100mbps with unlimited traffic included
  • ipv4 and ipv6 adddress with reverse ipv4 and ipv6 via control panel
  • download speed from CacheFly: 11,2MB/s
  • stupid dd test - disk I/O speed : 120 MB/s
  • server monitoring with sms/email alert and service monitoring, including hw monitor
  • no bullshit about raid, no overselling, server grade hardware, but when problems arise you loose you data because raid card failed, both disks died and a+b power supply didn't work. With OVH you know what you buy, cheap server like this one or serious and expensive dedi.
  • a really large provider owning many datacenter and able to host about 1 million server
  • ddos filtering (starting september) included and free for annual contracts

all dedicated resources i can use 100% of the time for 2.99 eur/month.

now, seriously, i'd like to know what vps offers are competitive with this dedicated server. I have a few VPS i will keep, but i'm curious to know other people thinking.

i will keep for sure:

• Prometeus BIZ server, really great hardware (no bullshit, check the specs of their setup!) and a real company with experienced techs and a good business record.
  • OpenITC Xenvz, used for many years, nice guys and a serious company that knows how to run a xen server

all other vps i have? Let's see how/if they react to this new offer giving something better.

Comments

You mean the worst control panel, translation to dutch is horrible and I always end up clicking 20 buttons before I find the reinstall button.

• skaska Member

@marrco said:

The N2800 does not have 4 core, it has 2 cores and provides 4 threads.

• @ska you're right, i was trying to compare the proc/cpuinfo with the info you usually get on a vps: cores=$( awk -F: '/model name/ {core++} END {print core}' /proc/cpuinfo )

Also cores on a vps are not real core, so i think that's a fair comparison. Point here is that this cpu is comparable to what many vps providers offer, but these resources are DEDICATED to you, running seti@home, mining bitcoins or searching for a prime number all fair use.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited August 2013

In the EU and trust OVH with your CC details? This is the deal to beat. Providers there may want to respond by either reminding everyone of their product's quality (Prometeus, for example, has a top-notch product even if it's not a full dedi) or trying to match OVH in pricing.

In 'Murrica -- or anywhere outside of the EU, or prefer PayPal? Oles wants you to cry him a river of tears so he can get cheap hydro power for his next projects. Keep dreaming of 2.99EUR dedis.

• @marrco said:
    Here is what I really got form ovh, Debian 7 64bit was setup and updated properly

• UNMANAGED server
    • dedicated resources, where i can use 100% of all my cpu cores all time and loop DD test 24/7
    • CPU frequency : 1862.000 MHz
    • Total amount of ram : 1978 MB
    • Total amount of swap : 512 MB
    • Total amount disk : 500 GB
    • Network: 100mbps with unlimited traffic included
    • ipv4 and ipv6 adddress with reverse ipv4 and ipv6 via control panel
    • download speed from CacheFly: 11,2MB/s
    • stupid dd test - disk I/O speed : 120 MB/s
    • server monitoring with sms/email alert and service monitoring, including hw monitor
    • no bullshit about raid, no overselling, server grade hardware, but when problems arise you loose you data because raid card failed, both disks died and a+b power supply didn't work. With OVH you know what you buy, cheap server like this one or serious and expensive dedi.
    • a really large provider owning many datacenter and able to host about 1 million server
    • ddos filtering (starting september) included and free for annual contracts

all dedicated resources i can use 100% of the time for 2.99 eur/month.

now, seriously, i'd like to know what vps offers are competitive with this dedicated server. I have a few VPS i will keep, but i'm curious to know other people thinking.

i will keep for sure:

• Prometeus BIZ server, really great hardware (no bullshit, check the specs of their setup!) and a real company with experienced techs and a good business record.
    • OpenITC Xenvz, used for many years, nice guys and a serious company that knows how to run a xen server

all other vps i have? Let's see how/if they react to this new offer giving something better.

Spec wise, some VPS are better for overall processor power (although you can't use it for long periods since the cores aren't guaranteed), they also have more ram and usually a bigger 1gbit port, as well as ssd cached disk space but of course you get about 10x more space with this dedi. The dedi also has guaranteed resources, much more bandwidth, and will be much more secure (if setup properly) than an OpenVZ VPS.

So it depends what you want to use it for and how secure you want it to be. Personally I'd go for the ovh server since it is powerful enough for my use, has a low ping time to me and has big enough storage space for one of the uses I have for it, I also don't like using OpenVZ because of the security issues it has and of course using ovh I know the provider is always going to be around and I'm not going to suffer if people abuse the server causing high load and/or disk i/o problems.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

"Another one has seen the light" :)

edited August 2013

OK, so my reasons for keeping some VPSes, despite having a number of servers with OVH:

1) useful or unique location: keeping VPSes in Germany and Estonia which have a lower ping to me than France, so more useful as a proxy; and also Japan, which allows to get some geo-targetted stuff that I want, and generally diversify services more (e.g. NS), and run measurements/monitoring from there;

2) some unique service; for example an actual routed /48 with rDNS delegation, I don't need tunnelbroker.net anymore with my nice range which I can use on any device even behind a NAT (using Tinc VPN).

and that's pretty much it.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2013

CPU model : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800 @ 1.86GHz

1 MB L2 cache, nice! Even with all four cores, what Unix benchmark do you get? 284.8? Then what do you get on, say, RamNode? 2000? It's even worse than Digital Ocean, and DO's already bad enough.

Network: 100mbps with unlimited traffic included

Everyone knows that's BS.

server monitoring with sms/email alert and service monitoring, including hw monitor

Install monit or whatever, get the same thing.

Total amount disk : 500 GB

That's the only reason I tried to purchase one, very useful for backup. Went with Backupsy since OVH doesn't deliver.

I think their 16 GB offer is better than their 2 GB one, at least for me. Anyway, for two euros more, Prometeus gives me better CPU, gigabit port, etc.

• The KS 16G only comes with a single disk now, just FYI.

edited August 2013

Even with all four cores, what Unix benchmark do you get? 284.8?

800-850 http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/03/25/qYVBupNiMjgxk0b1
    http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2012/12/02/nKB0CsqktPsnn6Us

100mbps with unlimited traffic included
    Everyone knows that's BS.

I am easily doing 30 TB/mo. And now the latest changes lifted any remaining b/w restrictions on what you can host. So why would that be BS?

Prometeus gives me better CPU

Haha, sorry no. A VPS provider does not give you a CPU, it allows you to use some portion of it, some of the time. Feel the difference here? :D

The KS 16G only comes with a single disk now, just FYI.

Read this topic's title, it's about the 2.99 server, not KS16G.

edited August 2013

I am easily doing 30 TB/mo. And now the latest changes lifted any remaining b/w restrictions on what you can host. So why would that be BS?

Ok, well if that's true that's pretty nice.

Haha, sorry no. A VPS provider does not give you a CPU, it allows you to use some portion of it, some of the time. Feel the difference here? :D

Even with whatever portion I can use all the time, it's better. And with the burst it's much better. Depends on the application of course; for me, running stuff on the Atom CPU would mean latency issues all the time.

Almost as "good" as Digital Ocean.

Edit: hm, I decided not to post this but looks like it went through, and without the last paragraph. My Internet sucks..

Anyway I was saying use whatever fits my application. In my case this particular dedicated server doesn't fit mine at all, except possibly for backup; but they were too slow in approving the order so I went with Backupsy instead for that. In particular - lack of gigabit port; heard problems with UDP traffic, and I intend to run applications that implement TCP over UDP tunneling protocols; poor CPU would mean that my applications would have latency problems all the time.

Also I think lack of extra IPv4 is a problem for some.

• @rm_ I didn't bring the KS 16G up in this topic, did I?

• @perennate said:
    Almost as "good" as Digital Ocean.

I ran a test on a 512M DO vps several days ago.

It got ~1500.

@764664 said:

Strange, I thought I decided not to post that. Anyways, even ServerBear says 1,000 for most DO one-core VPS, guess they rolled out some new hardware; 1500 is getting decent, but I still prefer CPU that you can burst. Depending on what I'm running, usually my CPU percentage is <20% and load is reasonable; but if I run it on a poor CPU then the update loop runs into latency problems and raises issues.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

That's not even a comparison hahaha good joog troll OP