Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i need help about server resource for jquery long polling
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

i need help about server resource for jquery long polling

hello need to know if there have any experience server admin or web developer here. is jquery long polling really will kill server with heavy resource running? im asking someone to make instant chat plugin and im worry about heavy server resource, if there have any suggestion please let me know . sorry for my bad english

Comments

• If you're worried about resources, don't use jQuery. There are plenty of ways you can accomplish a simple server pushAJAXy response. Look into some of the many, many tools already available which do what you are requesting. Heck, even an IRC plugin would work in many cases.

• Hi WSS im asking the person to build instant chat system for classified site ( using osclass script ) where the seller and buyer can do conversation instant. before he using google firebase but im asking to using the open source .. i think irc plugin is not suitable for my project.. i have read article about Websockets but im not very clear if this is something like jquery or ajax or its like socket.io

@WSS said:
    If you're worried about resources, don't use jQuery. There are plenty of ways you can accomplish a simple server pushAJAXy response. Look into some of the many, many tools already available which do what you are requesting. Heck, even an IRC plugin would work in many cases.

• WebSockets is just a means for TCP communication; it is a protocol. There are several OSClass plugins. I'm assuming you have checked out the huge number of already-existing scripts.. https://market.osclass.org/plugins/messaging

Heck, Tawk.to (used by many people here) is created by the OSClass dev team, and it's free: https://market.osclass.org/plugins/customer-support/tawk-to-for-osclass_528

• i already get this plugin https://market.osclass.org/plugins/messaging/instant-messenger-plugin_657 and its not working like what i want.. this plugin we need to refresh the page manual so get new msg. and already asking some developer to modify the plugin but them say impossible to do that. that why i hire someone to make new plugin..

• You could always force a meta refresh or rebuild how it works, which isn't impossible. Good luck with your new plugin.

You could always use a local timeout for the client and then call a reload on the page automatically. It'd look/act very web 1.0, but it'd be fine.

If you are building a new product, I suggest Socket.IO for your websocket communications.

• ok thanks WSS , anyway please let me know about my question because im still blur.. is that jquery will take to much resource and kill the server if there have to many users? can it working with 4gb ram 1 core vps server without heavy load?

• Without knowing how your plugin is built, all I can suggest is "possibly".