Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is this blue device?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is this blue device?

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

What is the blue device connected on the USB and interconnected between servers?

Source: https://www.serverbiz.de/datacenter/

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Just yell "enhance" at the screen like you really mean it, then see if you can make out the text.

• These are Telejet webresetter devices. They can perform hard-resets over the internet.

• nyvpsuser said: Do you use those?

Yes, we do use them for our automated dedicated server OS installer.

• Look at all that desktop hardware. LOL

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Quadix datacenter? xD

• That's the NSA/CSIS/КГБ/國家安全部/Mossad/खुफिया विभाग/ASIS/whatever tapping into every server.

• AidanAidan Member
    edited September 2017

Janevski said: 國家安全部

Negatory, that's not our device.

• @Aidan said:

I knew there was a reason you're always around on my posts! Jenkins, it's Thompson- wanna go do lunch with Kathy tomorrow? She's getting moved up to start work on the Clinton email serv-OH SHIT THIS ISN'T OUR ENCRYPTEDCHAT!

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @WSS said:

@Aidan said:

I knew there was a reason you're always around on my posts! Jenkins, it's Thompson- wanna go do lunch with Kathy tomorrow? She's getting moved up to start work on the Clinton email serv-OH SHIT THIS ISN'T OUR ENCRYPTEDCHAT!

Hey how many times have I told you guys, THIS IS NOT OUR CHAT. Damned knuckleheads can't keep anything a secret. Have to always keep an eye on your assets.

• TELEJET Web Resetter to reboot or reset server remotely. :)

• farnox said: These are Telejet webresetter devices. They can perform hard-resets over the internet.

This.

They are by now, if you have any idea how to work with an RPi and one of the 16 port relais boards, expensive (RPI + board + cables = >50$, Telejet devices cost a lot more).

You wire them between RST and ground to force reset and they can via USB emulator send certain key commands, but don't confuse it with any real KVM as there is no video back to the user (this is to eg. send CTRL+ALT+DEL).

Hetzner uses them or a fork of these/custom design as well, they are fairly easy to cable and support a star network with nearly endless (128 per leg or so?) devices.

Thanked by 2vimalware farnox
  • Hell, this seems like a perfect job for an Arduino. You can program the ATtiny device for input OR output, which already has plenty of OS documentation on using it as a TTL converter, and there are plenty of I/O channels on a basic atmega328p.. You could build one of these for about $7, and vamp off the computer's 5V rail or USB port.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • jarland said: Just yell "enhance" at the screen like you really mean it, then see if you can make out the text

GOT ANY IMAGE ENHANCER THAT CAN BITMAP???

• WSS said: Hell, this seems like a perfect job for an Arduino. You can program the ATtiny device for input OR output, which already has plenty of OS documentation on using it as a TTL converter, and there are plenty of I/O channels on a basic atmega328p.. You could build one of these for about $7, and vamp off the computer's 5V rail or USB port.

Just be careful how you wire it or every time the arduino gets power-cycled the connected device also gets powered off/reset.

I had one that 2 of the I/O pins were directly wired to the power switch pins on a motherboard of a machine that tended to lock up, which was then connected via USB to another Linux machine, if I rebooted/powercyled the 2nd machine the one the arduino output was wired to usually went as well.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @dragon2611 said:

WSS said: Hell, this seems like a perfect job for an Arduino. You can program the ATtiny device for input OR output, which already has plenty of OS documentation on using it as a TTL converter, and there are plenty of I/O channels on a basic atmega328p.. You could build one of these for about $7, and vamp off the computer's 5V rail or USB port.

Just be careful how you wire it or every time the arduino gets power-cycled the connected device also gets powered off/reset.

That's an interesting design issue. I'd circumvent this by having it charge a small capacitor that eventually charges, and momentarily trips a relay to cause the device to reset.

• @WSS said:

@dragon2611 said:

WSS said: Hell, this seems like a perfect job for an Arduino. You can program the ATtiny device for input OR output, which already has plenty of OS documentation on using it as a TTL converter, and there are plenty of I/O channels on a basic atmega328p.. You could build one of these for about $7, and vamp off the computer's 5V rail or USB port.

That's an interesting design issue. I'd circumvent this by having it charge a small capacitor that eventually charges, and momentarily trips a relay to cause the device to reset.

It was a board I didn't much care for and the arduino was cheap enough, I think it was directly wired to one of the output pins on the arduino and ground.

• @dragon2611 said:

@WSS said:

@dragon2611 said:

It was a board I didn't much care for and the arduino was cheap enough, I think it was directly wired to one of the output pins on the arduino and ground.

a basic understanding of electronic concepts like open collector and pull-up resistors might help to avoid unwanted behaviour...

Thanked by 1goinsj2010
  • ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

If im not mistaken they are patented, most likely the reason nobody is building their own ones.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

@ChristianDSH said:

If im not mistaken they are patented, most likely the reason nobody is building their own ones.

There's nothing illegal about workalike devices, so long as you either create your own code, or, optionally, have a "white room" implementation where you can prove the existing software was designed to work similarly, and was not created by a reverse-engineered version of the original device. Unless, of course, China- then it's outright stolen IP, and good luck getting anything from a lawsuit there.

Unless, of course, they somehow patented a user device which connects to the mainboard to perform a reset. The US patent office has allowed dumber shit than that before.

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

Well, never seen another company apart from Telejet selling resetters :/

• All I can assume is since it's not that expensive for a network switch to perform hard resets, and have a trivial console interface, that this isn't often sought for SOHO/medium businesses. Not even sure where I'd look for what they may have patented in Germany- and internationally.

• ChristianDSH said: Well, never seen another company apart from Telejet selling resetters :/

Maybe because this is a high niche market which would die out real soon™ (perhaps I'm wrong. Who knows)

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    Just yell "enhance" at the screen like you really mean it, then see if you can make out the text.

@sin said:

jarland said: Just yell "enhance" at the screen like you really mean it, then see if you can make out the text

GOT ANY IMAGE ENHANCER THAT CAN BITMAP???

10MB gif enhanced goodness

• pbgben said: 10MB gif enhanced goodness

Confirmed CIA.

Sign my petition to end pbgen madness. He's a confirmed CIA operative who's actively working on stealing information and feeding it to the NSA

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

let take over google

lol!

• @sdglhm said:

ChristianDSH said: Well, never seen another company apart from Telejet selling resetters :/

Maybe because this is a high niche market which would die out real soon™ (perhaps I'm wrong. Who knows)

Pretty much. Before this device and actual usable KVMs, we had the PC Weasel.