Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway

edited September 2017 in Help

Hello all.

Am I going to be charged every time I recreate the same server (2.99 EUR) ? I'm asking because I need to change OS.

Thank you.

Comments

• Hi

No, you get charged hourly

https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

• In a way, yes. As you get charged hourly for your server, but there's a montly cap on how many hours they charge (672 hours iirc), but if you re-create your server halfway through the month, you will not hit that cap and get charged for 30/31 days (720/744 hours) instead.

Thanked by 2rm_ nullnothere
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2017

teamacc said: and get charged for 30/31 days (720/744 hours) instead.

...which will cost about 1.5x more than 2.99 EUR, up to 4.46 EUR. So better not recreate (or even create) servers mid-month, try to align that to the 1st day of the month.

Thanked by 2sibaper xyz
  • What would I check is the storage and IP associated with the server - they aren't freed automatically when you terminate the server so you can reuse them; however by default it creates another storage and assigns another IP (and you get billed for that)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @rm_ said:

teamacc said: and get charged for 30/31 days (720/744 hours) instead.

...which will cost about 1.5x more than 2.99 EUR, up to 4.46 EUR. So better not recreate (or even create) servers mid-month, try to align that to the 1st day of the month.

Oh dear, then they already cap off at 500h...

• @teamacc and @rm_ - scaleway will bill at most 500 hours per month at the published billing rate per hour for the server.

So if you consider C1 (2.99 Euro per month or 0.006 per hour) they will NEVER bill you more than 2.99 Euro per month per instance. Of course extra volumes/snapshots/reserved IPs etc. will be billed (again capped at 500 hours/month based on their documentation).

So you can start them any time stop them any time and you will only be billed for the hours the instance is up - the only fine print is as @pinc points out related to the reserved resources.

You don't have to create servers on the 1st or anything like that - it is meant to be a pay-as-you-use model.

edited September 2017

nullnothere said: if you consider C1 (2.99 Euro per month or 0.006 per hour) they will NEVER bill you more than 2.99 Euro per month per instance.

So you can start them any time stop them any time

This is not true. Basically your entire reply is a lie.

https://www.scaleway.com/faq/billing/

The instance is not billed during its shutdown sequence. A hard reboot will keep the ongoing resource running. On the other hand, archiving a server is considered as a standard stop-start cycle and as such lead to the creation of a new resource, reseting the monthly cap counter along the way.

rekt.

Thanked by 1nullnothere
  • >

>

The instance is not billed during its shutdown sequence. A hard reboot will keep > the ongoing resource running. On the other hand, **archiving a server **is >considered as a standard stop-start cycle and as such lead to the creation of a new > resource, reseting the monthly cap counter along the way.

Archiving a server is not the same as deleting a server.

• rm_ said: On the other hand, archiving a server is considered as a standard stop-start cycle and as such lead to the creation of a new resource, reseting the monthly cap counter along the way.

You are right - I stand corrected (esp. from the standpoint of the OP where a full OS reinstall is desired).

So for the OPs use case (of reinstalling OSes potentially multiple times AND keeping the instance mostly up) will result in a higher than 2.99 Euro charge.

However, it is still very cost effective if the machine is primarily intended as a single OS (install) over a month OR for multiple short duration test cases (independent of the number of OS installs).

I don't think there is anything else that comes close to this sort of pricing.

@teamacc is right on the 720/744 hours limit per month (worst case) giving you a roughly 4.45 Euro bill if you go overboard.

Of course if you don't plan on using more than 500 hours a month in total, then do what you may, you'll still be under the 2.99 Euro limit.

lowendusername said: Archiving a server is not the same as deleting a server.

Sure. The tricky part is that stop/start of a server is done via archiving, and that resets the monthly cap.

Deleting a server resets it too (because the new one you create will have its own cap), but that should be pretty obvious to anyone, unlike the stop/start thing.

• @pinc said:
    What would I check is the storage and IP associated with the server - they aren't freed automatically when you terminate the server so you can reuse them; however by default it creates another storage and assigns another IP (and you get billed for that)

The reset of IP is the biggest nuisance I find at cloud providers like DO.

• mehargags said: The reset of IP is the biggest nuisance I find at cloud providers like DO.

DO doesn't have reserved IPs like VULTR?

• On Scaleway, 1) yes you can reserve IP's (1 euro/m), and 2) I'm pretty sure you don't have to spin down the server to load a new OS. You just reinstall like on other servers.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2017

@sin said:

mehargags said: The reset of IP is the biggest nuisance I find at cloud providers like DO.

DO doesn't have reserved IPs like VULTR?

Just floating IPs which are routed to an internal IP on your instance, but that's not much good for making outbound connections from that IP.

Thanked by 1sin