Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

looking for 200 minipc any tips ?

looking for 200 minipc any tips ?

cociucociu Member, Provider

hello people ,

like title says i will need arrownd 200 minipc but need to be a strong config and ssd is a must. Any tips/recomendation ?

i need huge ram amount to be supported and a powerful CPU

Thanks in Advance. Marius

Tagged:
Thanked by 1ewrek

Comments

  • FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited September 2017

    Marius is looking into collocating small shit now eh? interesting..

    link #1

    link #2

  • Hey cociu,

    I recommend these.. I hope it helps.

    ODROID-XU4

    ODROID-C2

    ODROID-C1+

    • Need a fast & reliable KVM VPS? Try ServerHand today.
    • VPS & Dedicated Servers currently located in Dallas (TX, USA), Los Angeles (CA, USA), Miami (FL, USA) & Piscataway (NJ, USA)
  • telephonetelephone Member
    edited September 2017

    For my recommendation, I just get NUC boards themselves and then source the RAM, SSD and case yourself.

    Here's the model I'd go with: Intel NUC5i3MYBE

    Features:

    • Intel Core i3-5010U (onboard) - 3,060 on PassMark

    • Up to 16GB DDR3L SO-DIMM

    • SATA and M.2 NGFF SSD 22x80 support

    • Gigabit LAN

    • VT-x and VT-d

    With a bulk deal you'd be looking at under €200 per unit (for the board only).

    In regards to the case, I'd contract it out to a local company. Should be cost effective in Romania. If this is for a server environment, you could get a 2U or 4U designed with 2.5" hot swap bays/trays.

  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2017

    I also second NUCs. They are small enough for racks. And theres plenty of choice.

  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Provider

    You trying to save on space?

    I would have assumed that in Romania, space is not an issue and you can easily acquire more space to expand.

    I generally worry about running out of power before running out of space.

  • Just host bare desktop motherboards on trays, like OVH does

    Thanked by 1Falzo
  • What about deskmini 110 They house up to 32gb ram, 2 ssd and up to 65w tdp Intel CPU.(like the i7-7700) Installed a few of those in classrooms with i3-6100 and evo 850 ssd's and very happy about those, especially price performance wise. Also they have Intel nic, so stuff like esxi works. They even come with DC power brick included.

  • Timtimo13Timtimo13 Member
    edited September 2017

    You have so many options:

    • Intel NUC

    • Gigabyte Brix

    • Zotac ZBOX

    • MSI Cubi

    Most or maybe all of them are barebones, you would need to buy RAM as well as HDD / SSD. You could even buy some high performance one.

    I can't tell you, how the prices are, but that depends mostly on their performance.

    Intel NUCs are the most expensive ones most of the time.

  • Intel Atom C3000 series. It's a 14nm process (low power), and supports 256GB RAM. Example board: https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-a2sdi-16c-hln4f-16-core-intel-atom-c3955-mitx-motherboard-review/

  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2017

    Ideally you'd want something with low power for fast ROI

  • Hopefully that wont turn into a Delimiter overheating issue when you booting the Rack up.

  • AidanAidan Member
    edited September 2017

    Neoon said: Hopefully that wont turn into a Delimiter overheating issue when you booting the Rack up.

    Wasn't that due to their hvac failing?

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited September 2017

    @Aidan said:

    Neoon said: Hopefully that wont turn into a Delimiter overheating issue when you booting the Rack up.

    Wasn't that due to their hvac failing?

    Well, as I remember, they had power issues, multiple Racks died.
    And these are so dense, that the Heat killed it when they booted up a full rack.

    But maybe we can find the old thread somewhere.

    Thanked by 1Aidan
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2017

    @FoxelVox said: Marius is looking into collocating small shit now eh? interesting..

    link #1

    link #2

    The moment you realize that your government STILL only allows $20 items to be shipped to you without tax. If I wanted to pay tax, I would've purchased it locally...


    I blame Trudeau. He's done nothing. Absolutely nothing.

    Why not check my site (https://dawgy.pw) out? If you need to upload a few GIFs, give https://i.dawgy.pw a try <3

  • @doghouch said:

    @FoxelVox said: Marius is looking into collocating small shit now eh? interesting..

    link #1

    link #2

    The moment you realize that your government STILL only allows $20 items to be shipped to you without tax. If I wanted to pay tax, I would've purchased it locally...


    I blame Trudeau. He's done nothing. Absolutely nothing.

    That's Stupid, and i thought the dutch government was absolute shit...

  • pikepike Member
    edited November 2017

    @FoxelVox said: That's Stupid, and i thought the dutch government was absolute shit...

    Thanks EU we don't have to care about such things. Also from my (german) point of view dutch politics doesn't look that bad. I like the diverse parliament.

  • @pike said:

    @FoxelVox said: That's Stupid, and i thought the dutch government was absolute shit...

    Thanks EU we don't have to care about such things. Also from my (german) point of view dutch politics doesn't look that bad. I like the diverse parliament.

    Rutte doesn't give a shit if Our people suffer, as long as his ecosystem is ok

  • atherosatheros Member
    edited November 2017

    @rm_ said: Just host bare desktop motherboards on trays, like OVH does

    Are they really doing that?

    EDIT: Interestingly googling for OVH racks photos got me there: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/15976/data-center-tour - discussion from 2013y (no, I'm not a necromancer)

  • 20 dollars? Lol I would probably have to pay 50 percent the price of that PC in import fees.

  • @risharde said: 20 dollars? Lol I would probably have to pay 50 percent the price of that PC in import fees.

    I remember having similar problems when my laptop broke while abroad. I bought a $120 shitbox, and they wanted $300 in taxes for it, with a receipt and verification that it actually cost $120.

    I let them keep the laptop.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • Yup @WSS welcome to the world of the third world coupled with being far away geographically

    @WSS said:

    @risharde said: 20 dollars? Lol I would probably have to pay 50 percent the price of that PC in import fees.

    I remember having similar problems when my laptop broke while abroad. I bought a $120 shitbox, and they wanted $300 in taxes for it, with a receipt and verification that it actually cost $120.

    I let them keep the laptop.

  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2017

    @risharde said: 20 dollars? Lol I would probably have to pay 50 percent the price of that PC in import fees.

    You missed the fact that my local postal company charges an admin fee for the collection of import duties (I forgot to mention the admin fees). Amazon was definitely not charging the full 13% tax, so I probably would’ve been slapped with a $20-30 admin fee.

    Why not check my site (https://dawgy.pw) out? If you need to upload a few GIFs, give https://i.dawgy.pw a try <3

  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2017

    @cociu

    Depending on what exactly you are looking for and how much memory and CPU you need, UP Squared may work well for you and can be purchased in a few different versions (memory/cpu). It also offer expansion like mini-pcie and m.2 slot. Most come with onboard 32-128GB eMMC (SSD), dual gigabit NIC, etc. If size is important they are super small form factor so you can likely fit more per U than some of the other options presented, but you are bound to the memory and CPU you choose upon ordering.

    Also they run on 5v3A, so very low power usage.

    You can browse their shop directly: here

    my 2 cents.

    Cheers!

    Have an Allwinner H3 device? Want Android? Check out H3Droid! | Lichee Pi Zero - The 6$ SBC
    18+ Years IT Experience in Linux/Windows Hosting and Administration

Sign In or Register to comment.