Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS Hosting

What does everyone do around here for DNS hosting? I run a cPanel hosting sideline and use my cPanel server to create A records for my LEBs at the moment but want to keep my LEBs completely separate from my hosting server. My domain registrar offers free DNS hosting but changing A records on there seems to take several hours to propagate whereas on my cPanel server, it's instant.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Cloudflare

• Cloudflare and/or Rage4 DNS.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Cloudflare, rage4 or my own cPanel DNS only.

• markmark Member

@Fliphost With cPanel DNS only, can you create and edit DNS zones without a full cPanel server? I had a look early at my cPanel DNS only and couldn't see that.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@mark Not via the DNS only interface. I would assume you could probably do it via the bind files though.

To use their interface you do need a full cPanel interface, unless you use something like the modules garden DNS module

Thanked by 1mark
  • markmark Member

@Fliphost Right, that makes sense. Thanks for that.

CloudFlare is looking like the best candidate then, thanks all.

• Route 53, ClouDNS, DynDNS, XName, DNSExit.
    Cloudflare when it's worth the efforts.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited August 2013

@mark said:
    What does everyone do around here for DNS hosting?

Self-hosted, 3 locations using NSD.

My domain registrar offers free DNS hosting but changing A records on there seems to take several hours to propagate whereas on my cPanel server, it's instant.

For me, record changes are instant, addition of a new zone takes < 20 minutes to propagate to slaves.

nsdreports

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited August 2013

4 x cPanel DNS Servers, located all over the joint. Currently hosting over 2K Domains DNS.

• Im using he.net dns.he.net

• wdqwdq Member

I use PowerDNS and PowerAdmin on two different VPS's.

• PowerDNS master/PowerAdmin with 5 PowerDNS slaves and 6 Premium ClouDNS slaves located on every continent except Australia and Antarctica :)

• 3xBind9 DNS (64MB LEBs). Plus my own webUI. Never needed anything more.

• @sleddog, that's a pretty good amount of dns traffic.

• I've never used it, but Rackspace DNS is free and is well-regarded.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Self-hosted, 3 locations using NSD.

Exactly the same. :)

• afraid.org always got the job done.

• Namecheap also provides free DNS hosting, even for domains registered elsewhere.

• Self hosted, looking at Rage4 DNS though

• CloudFlare (DNS only) and Rackspace seem to work pretty well for me.

• @twain said:
    sleddog, that's a pretty good amount of dns traffic.

130 domains, 1,079 records...

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

... you can also enjoy our current promo http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/12047/rage4-dns-summer-promo :)

@joelgm are you using maradns?

• @netomx said:
    joelgm are you using maradns?

Nope, bind9.

@joelgm how's the ram usage? I want to implement something similar but with maradns. If you can give me the source code, I can work on the maradns thing.

• @netomx said:
    joelgm how's the ram usage? I want to implement something similar but with maradns. If you can give me the source code, I can work on the maradns thing.

Ram usage is next to null. It's a perl script which parses the bind9 zone and conf files, and finishes within a couple of seconds. At the moment, it does not require a database server at all.

• Linode DNS

• +1 for rage4. HE.net is other alternative.

• Right now I have DirectAdmin on my main LEB and I have a cronjob that copies the files over to my other two LEBs. It works, but is not the best solution. In the past I have used dns.he.net. Which has worked really well for me. I believe they will do slave zones as well.