Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HOSTUS : Migration for OpenVZ and KVM Services from ATL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HOSTUS : Migration for OpenVZ and KVM Services from ATL

Another reminder to plan your backup :)

They didn't mention reason for this migration though.

You are receiving this email because you are a HostUS customer with a VPS service in our Atlanta location.

*** ATLANTA DATA CENTER RELOCATION – 12 HOURS PLANNED DOWNTIME ***

On Saturday September 23rd (late night) into Sunday September 24th (morning) Eastern Daylight Time we will be moving data centers. This is being planned as a 12 hour maintenance event.

The new location will be the carrier neutral Digital Realty facility in Charlotte, North Carolina which is 240 miles away from Atlanta, and also is on the US East Coast. There will be no change in our prices and you will receive the same quality HostUS services you love backed by the same hard working team that you know. The move to the new facility will enable us to continue to grow and service your needs now and in the future.

If you require to stay in the Atlanta location, we are offering migrations to our second facility in Atlanta for OpenVZ and standard KVM services before September 21th, subject to capacity limitations. Services staying in Atlanta will be required to use new IP addresses. Please contact our support department no later than September 14th to schedule an offline migration of your VPS in Atlanta. For customers staying in Atlanta there will be no other changes to your services now or in the future, and your pricing will remain the same.

We know that you will have some questions about the move. Any questions or concerns are welcome. Please respond to this message or open a support ticket and we will be happy to answer them. Here are a few questions that we are anticipating.

Q: When will the move occur?
A: The move to Charlotte will take place late night Saturday, September 23 (starting on 11PM) into the morning of Sunday, September 24. Please note the time zone is EST (GMT -4).

Q: How long will the outage last?
A: We will provide a 12 hour maintenance window for the move, but we anticipate that the actual outage will not last for the full maintenance window. While we cannot predict the exact amount of time required for the move, here is some additional information that should give you a general idea:

- The new facility is approximately 240 miles away from the old facility. The driving time will be about four hours.
- There will be time required for de-racking, packaging, loading, unloading, unpackaging, and re-racking the equipment, which will likely be about two hours at each location.

Q: Will my pricing change?
A: No price changes are anticipated as a result of the move.

Q: Will my IP addresses change?
A: No IP address will change as part of the move to Charlotte. Your IP will change if you opt to stay in Atlanta.

Q: Will all my data be retained?
A: No data loss is anticipated as a result of the move. We recommend making offsite backups before the move takes place.

Q: How can I get updates about the progress of the move?
A: We will provide updates through our server status page during the move.

Thank you for your continued business. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

This migration reminds me another host of LET, best of luck for them . Having two locations within atlanta was not a good idea to start with . They are consolidating their locations which are less profitable .

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Good luck with the move, @AlexanderM!

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

@sibaper said:
    Another reminder to plan your backup :)

They didn't mention reason for this migration though.

Thanks for the repost, our provider in Atlanta (QuickPacket) has decided to move everything from Atlanta to Charlotte, including our colocated gear.

We offer an option to stay in Atlanta for customers that require this location.

Alexander

• Good luck. I have led three datacenter migrations in my life: Finding an new ones; assessing environmentals and raised floor capacity; retiring old servers and services (it's like spring cleaning); getting swing servers; inventorying application decencies; many spreadsheets; dealing with electrical, cabling and moving unions; fail-back planning; going back and forth between distant sites (one was between New York and Ashburn Virginia); and so much more. So I sincerely wish you the best of luck this Sunday! I've been through it.
    (◠﹏◠)

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • @AlexanderM does this location have DDOS protection?

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • sibapersibaper Member
    edited September 2017

AlexanderM said: We offer an option to stay in Atlanta for customers that require this location.

Option to stay but IP address changes.

storage user must move to new DC

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@JoeMerit said:
    @AlexanderM does this location have DDOS protection?

Yes, the exact same protection and we will actually we closer to the DDoS tunnel's POP.

@sibaper said:

AlexanderM said: We offer an option to stay in Atlanta for customers that require this location.

Option to stay but IP address changes.

storage user must move to new DC

Unfortunately storage VM's will be moved as well.

Alexander

• @AlexanderM how's the move going?

• nyvpsuser said: @AlexanderM how's the move going?

sadly they put progress behind login

https://my.hostus.us/serverstatus.php

UPDATE: All servers have been packed and are currently being shipped to Charlotte.
    UPDATE: Trucks have arrived in Charlotte.
    UPDATE: Servers are being re-racked.

*** ATLANTA DATA CENTER RELOCATION – 18 HOURS PLANNED MAINTENANCE WINDOW ***

On Saturday September 23rd (late night) into Sunday September 24th (morning) Eastern Daylight Time we will be moving data centers. This is being planned as a 18 hour maintenance event.

The new location will be the carrier neutral Digital Realty facility in Charlotte, North Carolina which is 240 miles away from Atlanta, and also is on the US East Coast. There will be no change in our prices and you will receive the same quality HostUS services you love backed by the same hard working team that you know. The move to the new facility will enable us to continue to grow and service your needs now and in the future.

We know that you will have some questions about the move. Any questions or concerns are welcome. Please open a support ticket and we will be happy to answer them. Here are a few questions that we are anticipating.

Q: When will the move occur?
    A: The move to Charlotte will take place late night Saturday, September 23 (starting on 11PM) into the morning of Sunday, September 24. Please note the time zone is EST (GMT -4).

Q: How long will the outage last?
    A: We will provide a 12 hour maintenance window for the move, but we anticipate that the actual outage will not last for the full maintenance window. While we cannot predict the exact amount of time required for the move, here is some additional information that should give you a general idea:

- The new facility is approximately 240 miles away from the old facility. The driving time will be about four hours.
    - There will be time required for de-racking, packaging, loading, unloading, unpackaging, and re-racking the equipment, which will likely be about two hours at each location.

Q: Will my pricing change?
    A: No price changes are anticipated as a result of the move.

Q: Will my IP addresses change?
    A: No IP address will change as part of the move to Charlotte. Your IP will change if you opt to stay in Atlanta.

Q: Will all my data be retained?
    A: No data loss is anticipated as a result of the move. We recommend making offsite backups before the move takes place.

Q: How can I get updates about the progress of the move?
    A: We will provide updates through our server status page during the move.

Thank you for your continued business. Please contact us if you have any questions.

• server back