Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creative ways you're using your Raspberry Pi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Creative ways you're using your Raspberry Pi?

I finished setting up my Raspberry Pi today, with raspbmc and I'm using it as a media center for the living room.

What are you doing with your Raspberry Pi? Anyone here doing anything extremely creative and crazy with this cheap $35 computer?

Comments

• For the moment I just use it with DistCC

• jakejake Member

Anyone here actually use it as your daily/primary PC for whatever reason? When I tried Raspbian, just surfing the internet was extremely slow, but I imagine with some tweaks it would do just fine for basic surfing.

• I'm using it as an amateur radio server. It works really well, I have almost no use for it in any other capacity.

• Mine keeps my bills from blowing around...
    Got it as a mini-HTPC to stream content to my HDTV, before I got it set up, lightning strike fried my HDMI inputs on the TV.

I had it running Observium for a week or so, seemed to do alright, limited more by my ISP than it's own capability.

• Nothing creative here. It strapped to the back of my TV and runs Xbian. Streams content from my file server. Just got done watching a movie a few minutes ago.

I can't imagine using it as a PC. For command line it's fine, but running a browser requires patience. Same goes for other heavy software line word processing or spreadsheets. It's got video to run 1080p, but the cpu is slow.

I could see it for something like home automation or other low cpu tasks.

My problem is time. I just don't have much to pursue playing with it. I did give one to my 83 year old father and he is doing all sorts of stuff with it.

• jakejake Member

@cleonard May I ask why you used Xbian instead of Raspbmc? I'm curious if its worth switching from raspbmc > xbian, heard great things about xbian but I'm unsure of the differences.

• skaska Member
    edited August 2013

@cleonard said:
    I can't imagine using it as a PC. For command line it's fine, but running a browser requires patience. Same goes for other heavy software line word processing or spreadsheets. It's got video to run 1080p, but the cpu is slow.

Ofc, you need to optimise your OS, just like PiBang does.

• Mine acts as an AirPlay receiver which outputs audio through a USB FM transmitter. I have all the radios in the house tuned to the same frequency, so I can wander around the house with my own music playing wherever I go.

• @ElliotJ

Wow that sounds nice! Which USB FM transmitter are you using? Is the configuration easy?

• in a DC being idle :')

• @Trexos, I'm using the Keene USB FM Transmitter. Setup was relatively simple, with plenty of tutorials available :)
    The audio quality is surprisingly decent as well, comparable (if not better) than the Beeb's streams here in the UK

• I have two sitting idle. sigh

• jakejake Member

@taronyu said:
    in a DC being idle :')

EDIS?

• GPS Clock

• @jake said:
    EDIS?

PCExtreme, wanna buy?

• @jake said:
    cleonard May I ask why you used Xbian instead of Raspbmc? I'm curious if its worth switching from raspbmc > xbian, heard great things about xbian but I'm unsure of the differences.

No particular reason. I just tried it first and it seemed to work so I stayed with it. I did add a lot so I could exit xbmc and run X.

@ska said:
    Ofc, you need to optimise your OS, just like PiBang does.

Interesting. I'll have to download it and give it a try. I'm sure that will help, but when I said "browser" I should have said Chrome or Firefox. They work, but are slow. I don't think OS tweaks will help that at all.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool little device. I literally spent decades using systems that didn't have the CPU power of the Pi. In those days ram was measured in kilobytes which cost kilodollars and a few megs of disk was a luxury. For it's intended purpose of learning Python coding, it's great.

I may have to get another and get back into some hardware hacking.