Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Live streaming using other live stream as source
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Live streaming using other live stream as source

Is it possible to live stream using other live stream as source? What are technical challenges in terms of software/hardware required. I know bandwidth is one but what could be others?

In nginx there is a module called RTMP so if I configure it and get source live stream, that means I can live stream myself?

Comments

• niknik Member, Host Rep

nginx rtmp isn't developed actively anymore, since the dev was hired by nginx and is working on their enterprise solutions now. It has some bugs but is still useable, last time I looked at it had its problems with DASH and some minor issues with HLS that I had to fix myself.

There are some forks out there but the code quality dropped significantly on those, since there tinkerer that don't have a clue but want to contribute.

You could add an RTMP url as input source and deliver it via HLS for example.

• Do I need some kind of license to run HLS?

How many users can a 512MB VPS with 1 vCPU (or may be 2vCPU) core support?

• noamannoaman Member
    edited September 2017

@alilet said:
    Is it possible to live stream using other live stream as source? What are technical challenges in terms of software/hardware required. I know bandwidth is one but what could be others?

In nginx there is a module called RTMP so if I configure it and get source live stream, that means I can live stream myself?

Try FOSS Streaming Panel ,ezServer,Xtream Codes IPTV....

I am currently running FOSS Streaming panel as its free

Edit:

if you are transcoding using FFmpeg then you may need a decent cpu ....

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@alilet said:
    Do I need some kind of license to run HLS?

How many users can a 512MB VPS with 1 vCPU (or may be 2vCPU) core support?

Depends on the available port speed. If you just want to stream without transcoding it could handle a lot, since it's basically just serving static video and text files. If you want to use transcoding you need a lot of CPU power, and it will run poorly on VMs with shared CPU resources.

• @nik
    @noaman

What I understood is, if I am transcoding then it means I am saving the stream on my server (or may be not saving doing on the fly) and then restreaming it using different parameters for e.g. getting 720p and restreaming 480p.

And if I don't transcode then it means I am just sending stream as it is.

Correct?

If I don't transcode and restream as it is, how will it affect bandwidth. For e.g. I am receiving stream at 480p which will work fine for myself. But since I am restreaming hence there may be for e.g. 50 users streaming from it, so that means it will affect the quality because my source may not able to handle 50 connections!?

• Does not really matter if you transcode of not. Your server will have to be able to handle outgoing-stream-bandwidth x users or you wont be able to deliver a continous stream.

• @mksh said:
    Does not really matter if you transcode of not. Your server will have to be able to handle outgoing-stream-bandwidth x users or you wont be able to deliver a continous stream.

512MB RAM and 1 or 2 vCPU. How much users can they support approx?

• Cpu is only important if you transcode and then the number of vCPU does not say much about the actual processing power you get unless you know the underlying physical hardware and how it is devided (ie. provider running 10 vCPUs on a weak physical CPU is not going to yield a lot of raw power).

Other limiting factor would be your port speed. Say you had 50 user and are streaming at 1mbit/s so you'd need 50mbit of bandwidth at any given time to support this. If running 24/7 your server would send out 12-13tb of stream data per month.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

@mksh said:
    Cpu is only important if you transcode and then the number of vCPU does not say much about the actual processing power you get unless you know the underlying physical hardware and how it is devided (ie. provider running 10 vCPUs on a weak physical CPU is not going to yield a lot of raw power).

Other limiting factor would be your port speed. Say you had 50 user and are streaming at 1mbit/s so you'd need 50mbit of bandwidth at any given time to support this. If running 24/7 your server would send out 12-13tb of stream data per month.

This ^
    I will only add + 1Mbps to receive the stream and + an unknown amount to cover the variations in the bitrate.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I am using ffmpeg to grab a RTSP stream, create HLS segments directly with ffmpeg and send the stream to nginx_rtmp for DASH. ffmpeg works very reliable for me. Unfortunately as far as I know ffmpeg isn't able to create DASH segments on the fly like it works with HLS. If anybody should have a working snippet to create live DASH segments with ffmpeg, I'd be happy to know. :)

This is the code I am using so far. It creates the HLS segments in a tmpfs and forwards the stream to nginx_rtmp. I do not transcode at all, i.e. requirements are quite low (except bandwidth of course).

ffmpeg -v error -hide_banner -nostdin -y -abort_on empty_output -analyzeduration 5000000 \ -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://(source) \ -f hls -c copy -copyts -an -hls_time 10 -hls_list_size 5 -hls_flags delete_segments+omit_endlist \ -start_number 1 -hls_segment_filename /tmp/hls/stream123-%d.ts /tmp/hls/streamp123.m3u8 \ -f flv -c copy -copyts -an rtmp://127.0.0.1:1935/stream/stream123

• @nik said:
    nginx rtmp isn't developed actively anymore, since the dev was hired by nginx and is working on their enterprise solutions now. It has some bugs but is still useable, last time I looked at it had its problems with DASH and some minor issues with HLS that I had to fix myself.

No matter how bad, it has to be better than living with red5.

• Vmix, Wowza combo or just Wowza.
    Red5.
    MistServer

• whats the most recent version of foss streaming panel?

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

So the input is an RTMP Stream, correct? What format do you want the output to be in?

I use something like this to re-stream RTMP via ffmpeg to an ffserver instance:

rtmpdump -r rtmp://(rtmp url) --live | ffmpeg -re -i - -maxrate 100000k -q 1 http://127.0.0.1:8090/iptv.ffm

• I see foss is not maintained anymore
    Whats a good alternative?

I tried it on Ubuntu, but getting several errors, and i have no time to investigate

• thats for audio only? webradio

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

I feel ices with icecast has this feature