Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server status script
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server status script

DroidzoneDroidzone Member
edited August 2013 in General

This is a "third party server monitoring" script, which simply pings a specified list of servers at preset customizable intervals, and logs status. It logs new entries only if actual ping status has changed. Thus, the interval between two status logs shows the actual period the server was up or down.

Link

I included all the VPSes I currently subscribe to.

Have a look, and fire away your suggestions/critique. :)

Oh..btw, it can also send alerts to your mailbox for free ;)

Comments

• And where is the download link? :D

• Very nice! Where can we get it?

• Is it possible to use this without publicly exposed (part of) IPs?

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited August 2013

@Spirit said:
    Is it possible to use this without publicly exposed (part of) IPs?

Sure. I used a function to mask the last part, and left the initial part for identification. You can mask any part or the whole. I hope that's what you meant?

Edit: Masking applied by default now.

• Yeah, I would prefer to see name and maybe my own short note near name (ie. "kvm, 128mb") but no IPs.

• @Spirit said:
    Yeah, I would prefer to see name and maybe my own short note near name (ie. "kvm, 128mb") but no IPs.

The first coloumn is customizable. The second (IP) can be omitted altogether with a parameter.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Some graphs would be a nice addition.

• Perhaps an indication on the main page whether a host is currenly up/down?

edited August 2013

@twain said:
    Perhaps an indication on the main page whether a host is currenly up/down?

That's the very next thing I'll be doing.

Edit: Done.

Need to prettify it.

• twaintwain Member
    edited August 2013

Cool, looks pretty good.. may throw this on my 1.ai account.. a great free service, if anyone needs a place (eg, not a vps you are trying to monitor) to put this or any other of the many monitoring scripts that get mentioned on LET every week...

edited August 2013

@twain said:
    Cool, looks pretty good.. may throw this on my 1.ai account.. a great free service, if anyone needs a place to put this or any other of the many monitoring scripts that get mentioned on LET every week...

Thanks.

@jbiloh said:

Yes they would. Could you explain what kind of graph and data to plot?

I removed listing the ips from the interface since a couple of people were aversive to showing their personal ips in the GUI.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:

Wouldn't be too hard to add some MRTG graphs--is there an official source repo for this script somewhere?

• @BrianHarrison said:
    Wouldn't be too hard to add some MRTG graphs--is there an official source repo for this script somewhere?

It's on a private git at the moment, until everything is finalised. The issue with graphs is:

1. I need to wrap my head around php-gd, having never used it before.
    2. The state of data currently is binary, meaning a host is either pingable or not. I'm not sure which kind of graphs are adequate. One of the axes could use time. What should the other one represent? A binary state of on/off? Or just extend a color from the last status change, to the next?
  • nice..is there a download link for this?

• Very nice script, good to notice server status.

edited August 2013

It should be looking livelier now. ;)

Can someone tell me whether it's usable on a tablet?

• where to get it bro??

• I redesigned it a bit, made some changes.

I'll release as soon as I get around to making an installer.

• @joelgm - hey you smoothed out the corners on the green online graphic. Looks better.

Thanked by 1Droidzone
    edited August 2013

I have done more work on the script. I dont deem it fit for public release just yet.

However I'd like some inputs on the current beta. If people are interested, I'd like for them to add some of their VPS IPs to the private database of the server, to monitor their IPs, and maintain a log, to see if the script is working properly.

These IPs will not be displayed publicly, and the database itself is stored securely on the server away from the web user. Instead a alias for the IP will be displayed, like what is shown currently on the site. This will help me ascertain whether the script is ready for public release. You will also get a helpful log of the history of your server status with live updates on the site. If interested, you can PM me the IP of the site to be monitored.

Alternately, you can suggest improvements in the script.

The latest iteration features live status polling. You can see a working demo here.

edited August 2013

Geekping has been released.. Site
    Looking forward to constructive feedback and criticism.

• Geekping 0.3.4a (0 downloads)
    Geekping 0.3.3 (14 downloads)

"What's new" file?

setup.sh makes thing easier on new VPSs without webserver however some people may want to run as non root (at webhosting account) on existing webservers with installing all required packages manually.

• @joelgm said:
    simply pings a specified list of servers

It's a nice job, congratulations.

But ping along is too often an insufficient test IMO. Ultimately, a sysadmin wants to know that a service is working, not just that a server responds to pings. Over the years I've seen many examples of a service being inaccessible while the server remains pingable.

For testing tcp services, have a look at pung.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2013

Ultimately, a sysadmin wants to know that a service is working, not just that a server responds to pings

But that's exactly what some of us want. Simple list of servers with their online/offline status. Till recently was there around more of all kind of complex service monitoring tools than simple vps online/offline tools.
    I may be wrong but I think that this isn't attempt to make another service monitoring tool but simple selfhosted VPS online check tool - nice selfhosted replacement for server hosted services like "uptimerobot".

• Simple is good. But sometimes, simple is misleading. Is my webserver online? Ping says Yes. Is my webserver serving webpages? Pung says no....

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Check my new work, it check first the port and then, if fails, it pings.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2013

@sleddog you will use proper tool to monitor your webserver then :) In last few days I saw a few "simple check if vps is online" tool requests at LET (3 or so threads) and it's great to see that we got new one.
    This tool do exactly this what some of us want to. Monitor if our boxes are online.

You're missing concept here. That's not services monitoring tool. But server online/offline status check. Not everyone have a need to monitor webserver status on vps WITHOUT webserver.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/12099/free-status-script
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/12614/need-an-uptime-button-script

edited August 2013

setup.sh makes thing easier on new VPSs without webserver however some people may want to run as non root (at webhosting account) on existing webservers with installing all required packages manually.

I anticipated this. Of course people with root, and a working webserver can install packages manually. In their cases (if they already have php and a server), they can simply install the perl modules alone and skip the first two options of the script. They should also set the target directory in the script before installing, so that it does not overwrite index.php at /var/www. I'll get to prompting for the location in the next version.

As for shared hosting people without a webserver, well.. the perl modules I use might not come installed with their webserver. In such cases, the only option might be to use a local installation of perl, and compiling the modules themselves. It's possible, as I've done on a sourceforge developer shell, but probably only for people experienced with GNU programs.

The new file doesn't do much. I thought the footer license was too big, and reduced its height. Also added an additional balloon notification to the ajax 'service'.

As @Spirit said, this was not written as a service monitoring tool, but simply to see if there's trouble at the service provider, and whether the VPS was online or not. I can rewrite a module to do exactly that, since the script relies on the power of the shell, as its worker bee, and anything is possible there.

• the green 'online' button does not work in demo version

• It's not a button. No hover effects, see? :p