Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH, able to host 1.000.000 servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH, able to host 1.000.000 servers

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Comments

• Wonder if they can provision all 1,000,000 before the sun dies out.

Thanked by 2rds100 Shot2
  • @coolnow said:
    Wonder if they can provision all 1,000,000 before the sun dies out.

With those new rules... I don't think so.

Thanked by 1tux
  • I didn't know they actually owned that many DC's. I wonder when the Kimsufi line will get into Montreal?

• @Jeffrey said:
    I didn't know they actually owned that many DC's. I wonder when the Kimsufi line will get into Montreal?

Already is. Just not the low-end ones.

https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/kimsufi.xml

• Be patient, two of my four orders were already delivered, I paid all with paypal.

• They had a KS special for BHS last December. Got two Atoms D425 there. They came with a 2 TB disk, 4 GB of RAM and 4 IPv4 addresses included for €120/yr.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Does anyone see a problem here ?

They have 1 mil servers capacity but only 150k are hosted ? There must be some mistake, because I dont see any bank giving more credit when capacity is already underused some 4:1 (before the last DC was built).

• Look at the above flyer. This is the planned capacity, not the current. They obviously want to climb to the top spot in the next few years. How come Microsoft has a Million servers anyway, I don't buy this statement from Ballmer.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@pechspliz I would. Microsoft has quite a large server capacity for sure. Specifically when xbox live will have 300,000 just to itself once the xbox one comes out.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

@pechspilz said:
    Look at the above flyer. This is the planned capacity, not the current.

I think no, the planned capacity is 18 datacenters

• skaska Member

@jmginer said:
    I think no, the planned capacity is 18 datacenters

It is the planned one. They say on the flyer that currently they host 150.000 servers.

• @coolnow said:
    Wonder if they can provision all 1,000,000 before the sun dies out.

As far as I know of Earth's fate estimations, all life will be extinct on Earth in approx. 4 billion years.

Even if we reduce that to one billion, it still gives OVH one thousand year per server deployed. I assume that might be enough.

• xsetxset Member

Hey, whoever can mess the orders can surely mess with the investors too!

• @Master_Bo said:

9000 years before we're all gone!

• I would buy one, unfortunately they don't sell to brazilians. Mostly because brazilians are a internet gang in their minds, generalizations...

• @ianlacerda said:
    I would buy one, unfortunately they don't sell to brazilians. Mostly because brazilians are a internet gang in their minds, generalizations...

You are in a good company, don't get upset. "Internet gangs, unite!"

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Master_Bo said:
    You are in a good company, don't get upset. "Internet gangs, unite!"

Ditto :)

• @ianlacerda said:
    I would buy one, unfortunately they don't sell to brazilians. Mostly because brazilians are a internet gang in their minds, generalizations...

They sell all of their non-Kimsufi servers to Brazilians. You meed to use ovh.pt

• coolnowcoolnow Member
    edited August 2013

@Master_Bo said:

At this rate, i wouldn't put it past them to take more than a millennium per server.

also, hyperbole.

• So they don't have a datacenter in asia? Are they just collocating in asia then if they got Asia offers eg Singapore?

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

They can't open a dc in Asia ;) ;)

• @DewlanceVPS said:

Why not?

• @DewlanceVPS said:

They can.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2013

Well, at the current rate of 1000 servers provisioned per week it will take them some 200 years to fill all this empty space. I think they have to reconsider their practicies. Maybe hire some asians to do the work for them - they can work much faster than the lazy french ;-)

Thanked by 2Amfy MuZo
  • @Master_Bo God says the earth will last forever I know he right about that.....

• @Sonwebhost said:
    Master_Bo God says the earth will last forever I know he right about that.....

[citation needed]

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited August 2013

@Sonwebhost said:
    Master_Bo God says the earth will last forever I know he right about that.....

It's easy to check, however. It's only a matter of waiting for 4 billion years and looking at what happens.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Call me crazy but isn't boasting about how many bandwidth hogging ddos attracting servers you can stuff into your data centers kind of not such a good idea?

One thing I am learning (the hard way) is that picking providers/data centers is almost an art form. There are a lot of variables to consider and it's not necessarily a logical process.

I am having problems with one provider who is pretty big, gets good reviews, and has data centers all over the place. Some of their data centers have been excellent. One of them is absolute crap. Probably due to lot of gamers and therefore ddos attacks. It is also because they don't have their own employees there and are kind of detached from the operation. They don't seem to understand the problems going on with that one data center. I am in the process of moving to a much smaller provider that is local and has their own employees. Support response is not as good but so far the connection has been excellent...and they are quite a bit less expensive. So it varies not just between providers but between individual data centers with the same provider.

For me sometimes it's been better to go with someone who only does business in one city or geographic area. Preferably owning the data center with their own local employees. Sometimes that is not so good as they may be too small, not enough skills spread around so if some guy is on vacation and something happens your screwed. Also response times can be more variable.

There is no magic formula. For me it's been trial and error and often quite painful.

• @sman Hey, OVH isn't half bad.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@Jeffrey said:
    sman Hey, OVH isn't half bad.

I don't see any reason to disagree with you...on paper. Couple things I see. They are relatively new (at least in N. Am) so infrastructure is new and under utilized. That's a good thing for now. However, thinking longer term as that infrastructure gets filled up with all those cheap bandwidth hogging gaming servers they are selling things are probably going to go down hill. Right now they appear to be focussing on growth and not so much the revenue. Eventually the bean counters are going to be looking more closely at the numbers and wanting to squeeze more revenue. That's just what happens.

Also they seem to be a mostly french speaking company. So most of the senior guys are probably french and probably a lot of their support people. Communication could be a problem. I have seen a few comments indicating that.

Anyways, they are not really the right fit for me since they don't do kvmip opting for that rescue system of theirs. I might consider some back end stuff one of these days. Not really excited with what I see so far. Only thing that seems good about them is the price. That is not my #1 consideration.