Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One Month Review of Dominion Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One Month Review of Dominion Hosting

klpowellklpowell Member
edited August 2013 in Reviews

A month ago I ventured onto a host I had not heard of and one which there were no reviews of here, Dominion Hosting. This is my one month review.
VPS Plan -$4.95/mo 512MB Ram, 25GB HD, 2 IPv4, and DirectAdmin As advertized on WHT

I have a technique I always use when trying a new host, I will contact themduring off hours with pre-sale questions to see the response time. Every question I asked was answered quickly by Flyod, the company owner. I leanred the Domnion was not a new company, but in fact had been around for nearly 20 years under the name NewWebsite.com.

Setup was not automatic, perhaps because I requested DirectAdmin, which is a free addon. But, server was provisioned in less than an hour on a Saturday Evening. Server is hosted in the Windstream datacenter in Cary, NC.

ServerBear Benchmark

UnixBench score: 1226.4

I/O rate: 52.6 MB/second

Bandwidth rate: 10.8 MB/second

This server has had 100% uptime for the month, I have not experienced any network slow downs or other issues with the server itself.

Support

I have found that support is by far the best feature of Dominion Hosting. I have opened a few support tickets since signing up, all of been my fault. For instance at signup I misspelled my own name which made my Solus login incorrect, that was fixed within minutes of opening the ticket, a simple ticket. But, they have also been able to help me on some more complex DNS related issues. This is when I found that Dominion was a host I could trust and rely on. I had an issue with DNS, which I though was on the DirectAdmin server. Upon their review the issue was not on their server, but on a secondary server I use for DNS. They went above and beyond to help me troubleshoot the issues with DNS on a server that is not hosted with them. Many host once discovered that the issue was not on their server would have, rightly, closed the ticket and let me fend for myself. They helped me to find my configuration error and DNS began resolving correctly on multiple servers.

Overall in my first month with Dominion Hosting, I have been extermly pleased with the service, support, and friendliness of their staff. I have no plans to move away from this host for the forceeible future and if anything may be purchasing an additional DirectAdmin box from them in the future.

I would certainly recommend them to anyone needing the DirectAdmin Panel.
http://www.dominionhosting.com/
@DominionHosting

Thanked by 1cpaquette

Comments

• @klpowell said:
    but in fact had been around for nearly 20 years under the name NewWebsite.com.

lol

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

By that logic I should be 20 years old, I was born in '97. Wouldn't be surprised if this 'company' wasn't even the original company who registered the domain.

• @Infinity said:
    By that logic I should be 20 years old, I was born in '97. Wouldn't be surprised if this 'company' wasn't even the original company who registered the domain.

Looking back through the waybackmachine. The website goes back to 1997 as a webdesign firm, moving forward in time you see when they added hosting services in 2000. If you google the phone number listed is comes up with the same address they use today. I would say it is the same company.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@klpowell said:
    Looking back through the waybackmachine. The website goes back to 1997 as a webdesign firm, moving forward in time you see when they added hosting services in 2000. If you google the phone number listed is comes up with the same address they use today. I would say it is the same company.

Fair enough, still curious how that equates to 20 years.

• I said nearly 20 years not 20 years I guess I technically could have said over 16 years, but when I wrote the review I didn't do the math to get the exact year ...which is why I said nearly. The older you get the less 3 or 4 years matters ...

• Just want to say thanks for the review. I found a current offer on WHT. A LEB with directadmin was exactly what I had been looking for. I signed up tonight and if I remember will post a 30 day review.

• I have continued to be happy with the service the provide. Small amount of downtime a few weeks ago when they had to mitigate a ddos, but they worked quickly and no issues since.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

Thank you klpowell. Its been the same person behind both companies, me. I changed the name to better reflect what we do.

• I guess for some of the younger audience, ~20 years = infinity ;)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2013

I had with them my second vps a few years ago, when they were under the newwebsite.com brand. It was a vps with 1.5GB memory and 80GB HDD, with directadmin. It was priced about 23-24$ p/m if I can remember well and I had no real complaints with their service. It was maybe a little overpriced compared to performance (I was hosted there over a year and a half for a live site of mine), but not too much. On the other hand, the stuff (especially owner, Floyd) was very kind and willing to help, even with issues that a noobie I was back then couldn't resolve himself. Even with problems they had no obligation to resolve! I remember they helped me clean a website that was hacked. They increased memory to 3GB when I had stability problems to observe the vps and they finally let me those 3GB for free for the rest of the period I was using their service (another 8-9 months). I moved out when I had a better knowledge about managing a server and started to testing other boxes, including a lot of LEB's that have great performance at a fragment of that price. I would like to see Floyd drop some LEB/LET offers here. He is a good professional with great knowledge about hosting industry.