Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free 100GB Storage, $10/mo/2TB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free 100GB Storage, $10/mo/2TB

Hello folks. Stumbled upon degoo.com today. Yet another cloud storage provider. They are giving 100GB free and charging $10/mo for 2TB. Wanted to let you guys know about them.

Disclaimer: I have no relation to them, and don't know anything about them other than what is written above.

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I saw mixed reviews on them, particularly in the comments on their FB page. Was looking into them because I saw this: https://deals.neowin.net/sales/degoo-ultimate-2tb-backup-plan-lifetime-subscription

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

So they are this overpriced AND there are still mixed reviews? How hard must you fail...

• @Harambe said:
    I saw mixed reviews on them, particularly in the comments on their FB page. Was looking into them because I saw this: https://deals.neowin.net/sales/degoo-ultimate-2tb-backup-plan-lifetime-subscription

Lifetime 2TB for $60? This would actually keep me away from the provider.

Thanked by 2rm_ WSS
  • @bugrakoc said:

@Harambe said:

Lifetime 2TB for $60? This would actually keep me away from the provider.

Yep. Pretty sure I linked to them as a 'lol' awhile back.

• How about lifetime 2TB for $250? Is it too low to be trusted?

• wimiu said: lifetime

This is the keyword with regards to the trust issues.

• @caracal said:

wimiu said: lifetime

Yes, you should always ask whose lifetime.

• @angstrom said:

Isn't it always whosever is shortest?

• @angstrom said:

@caracal said:

wimiu said: lifetime

ant life time.

• @nyvpsuser said:

@angstrom said:

Do they say this somewhere?

• @angstrom said:

@nyvpsuser said:

@angstrom said:

Studied business law. I can give input here.

a LLC (limited liability company) is treated as a separate entity under the law. You can think of the company as having a living person's right.

Therefore, "lifetime" services will be defined as the life of the company (the duration in which the company is still operating) or product line (if defined under the service agreement).

Thus, once a company ceases operation and file for bankruptcy or dissolution, the lifetime services that was offered will be completed and contractual obligation will cease.

As a LLC is treated under the law as a separate entity with all the rights of an individual, you can only sue it (the company) for breach of contract or any damage but the share-holders/owners/executives will not be personally liable for any damage.

Therefore if the company file for bankruptcy or cease operation, it would constitute as "Lifetime" service completed.

Services that offer "Lifetime" services for a higher 1 time payment will only have 2 reason doing so.

1. To kick start the business by getting an initial spike in capital to grow, which hopefully will be fast enough to offset the relatively smaller early birds customer's continual expenses

2. Short term revenue driven and are looking to exit the business in the near future. If such is the case, profits made are usually not reinvested into the business but are used to start other start-ups

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @TrueEntrepreneur said:

@angstrom said:

@nyvpsuser said:

@angstrom said:

Studied business law. I can give input here.

[...]

I confess that I was acting a bit with tongue in cheek ("lifetime" offers on LET, you see), but your detailed reply is much appreciated. :-)

• This reminds me of cloudatcost. It was for lifetime, until an yearly maintenance fee came up.