Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostGator Down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostGator Down

Staff

Default Network Event : Provo Data Center
Hello,

Our data center in Provo is currently experiencing network issues and they are working diligently to resolve the issue. Unfortunately we do not have an estimated time of resolution. This currently is affecting shared, reseller, VPS, and dedicated servers within that data center. We will update this post when further details are available.

Thanks,
Johnny W.
Linux Systems Administrator II
Senior Systems Monitor
HostGator.com LLC.
Last edited by GatorJMagalich; Today at 10:36 AM. Reason: rewording

Comments

• Interesting. All EIG brands in the Provo Datacenter are down, heh.

http://mashable.com/2013/08/02/bluehost-down/

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

8 hours down now...

• all this while DreamCon is going on, fascinating :)

• @jmginer said:
    8 hours down now...

Wow sounds like a major problem. I wonder what exactly happened.

• Dead router no redundancy and a NBD contract with Cisco maybe.. lol

Thanked by 1DrJinglesMD
  • Not so infallible after all ?

How the mighty fall..

• Sorry to hear about this severe outage. No real cause they have posted other than 2 router issues.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

As I said a few times, nothing is infallible, ppl say go to Linude or Amazon for 100% uptime when we know those had downtime in the past.

The only sure way to remain up no matter what is to make a redundancy over a few LEBs in various datacenters and with various providers. Will cost about the same, but you can also add load balancing for the money and have more resources overall, much more.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Underdog goes down - "Poor guys, hope they get everything back up ok."

Established brand goes down - "Lol see they suck!"

It's always fun to see how people all over the internet react to similar things with only slight context changes. Best of luck to them, glad I'm not in Houston yet for this ;)

Thanked by 2Dylan Evo
  • I've been a client of Hostgator for 2 years now and have 100% uptime. This issue hasn't affected me but I do believe Hostgator is not a terrible web hosting company. The prices are more than competitive and you get managed support - quite nice. Just thought I'd throw my thoughts out there. I don't think this large company is bad at all.

• @jarland

Established because they charge almost twice or thrice that of the best providers on leb ? Or bcoz they have more budget to spend on advertisements ?

There r several providers here with great uptimes.

The first vps I had years back was ironically from hostgator only bcoz I didn't know better, there was no leb, WHT did provide some info but it was always cluttered.

I have always found hostgator to be a luved brand by nontechies & yes they have done a good job with their cpanel support & stuff. But my point is simple; If paying all the extra money eventually still leads to downtime & problems like this then I would prefer to pay a more reasonable amount to a provider here with equivalent or better service!

LEB sets a $7 or so limit on the offers & most of these offers still exceed wt hostgator gets you in $40 !

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@fizzyjoe908 said:
    I've been a client of Hostgator for 2 years now and have 100% uptime. This issue hasn't affected me but I do believe Hostgator is not a terrible web hosting company. The prices are more than competitive and you get managed support - quite nice. Just thought I'd throw my thoughts out there. I don't think this large company is bad at all.

I didnt say LEBs have higher uptime, merely that nobody can be sure will get 100% uptime, hurricanes happen, tornadoes, earthquakes, human error, fires, etc, you can throw a lot of money at it to reduce the risk, but at some point you have to stop, because costs will double for 0.1% of risk of downtime reduced, therefore it makes no sense. You can halve the costs and reduce risk overall if you use 2 cheap hosts, and make it almost bullet-proof with 3.

edited August 2013

@raza19 said:
    Established because they charge almost twice or thrice that of the best providers on leb ? Or bcoz they have more budget to spend on advertisements ?

Neither of those define the word "established." If you're struggling to find a definition, I would recommend a dictionary.

If you are too lazy to look one up, it would be a reference to a company that has established itself as a more permanent structure than most of the underdogs that you are likely referring to. There is something to be said for someone who holds their ground and thrives throughout the years.

As far as uptime goes, has hostgator had bad uptime? Not that I see. It's just that people think that a larger budget somehow makes a company immune to issues. They can arise from many different angles. You can spend, spend, and spend, but you cannot create an infrastructure which cannot be found faulty at some point. Only the most naive among us would believe otherwise.

My point was that, on average (based purely on my observation), the little guy goes down because they're just not a giant company, but the giant company goes down because "they suck" in the eyes of the internet commenter. People are dumb.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • bluehost also was down if im right?

• @jarland People are dumb.

& u r smart ?

There was a time the dot com was almost a hundred bucks plus & there were several people who felt rather believed the 'established' companies were charging the right price. Then we all know what happened. Underdogs pretty much made the mammoths extinct.
    That is the future of the hosting world as well. HostGator & all elite hosting companies will have to change business models to survive.

@raza19 You're on a whole other subject. I'm just laughing at my observation of people's reactions around various places.

• wychwych Member

You get better support off the underdogs than the established brands, at least in my experience anyway.

@wych said:
    You get better support off the underdogs than the established brands, at least in my experience anyway.

Interesting. I'd be interested to know what experiences have led you to that conclusion. Certainly the experiences are valid, but mine have been a bit different. I've not dealt with hostgator support yet, but the most impressed I've ever been was with LiquidWeb and certainly I consider them one of the more established names (though not quite a company everyone's seen on a billboard).

• Did @SonWebHost actually make a useful-ish thread for once? I'm impressed!

• @Magiobiwan said:
    Did SonWebHost actually make a useful-ish thread for once? I'm impressed!

That's exactly LET trend I dislike. It's easy to be cyberbully as long you can expect full community support, correct? And how did you contributed to this thread if I may ask?

• wychwych Member

@jarland said:
    Interesting. I'd be interested to know what experiences have led you to that conclusion. Certainly the experiences are valid, but mine have been a bit different. I've not dealt with hostgator support yet, but the most impressed I've ever been was with LiquidWeb and certainly I consider them one of the more established names (though not quite a company everyone's seen on a billboard).

I have used Bluehost, GoDaddy, 1and1 and Heart for hosting, and now I only use LEB's off a few tested providers, mainly as GoDaddy even said anything over 2s load time is bad and they routinely caused my site to see 10-15s load times and refused to address the issue, after my node being unavailable for 2 days I moved - now support is a tweet or support ticket away, and will be replied to.

• For me the truth is: since that I left Endurance International Group services my sites became faster. And thanks to LEB/LET and some small shared hosting companies I could save money to other projects.