Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy Labor Day
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Happy Labor Day

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

For all those in North America who celebrate it, happy labor day!

Hope you are enjoying some peace and quiet on a relaxing long weekend.

Anyone doing anything particularly exciting?

I'm working a half day and then going to spend some time with my parents boating on Lake Erie (if the weather holds out, it's pretty windy up here in Buffalo today).

Thanked by 4Aidan vpsGOD MasonR WSS

Comments

• I'll be refreshing pages looking for labor day deals.

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • I'll be waiting with baited breath for CC to implement IPv6 Work on the house. Haven't touched the cars in nearly a week. Still sore as hell from travel and other work.

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited September 2017

On the agenda is oil changes for our two cars, mowing the lawn, and enjoying some time with the wife and baby.

Have a good time on the Lake! I'm still pretty new to being up here in the Adirondack area so I haven't had a chance to take a day trip over the lake yet, but it's on the list.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Someday I'll be able to take a day off. Not today though, or any other day in the foreseeable future.

• MasonR said: I'm still pretty new to being up here in the Adirondack area

Oh good! I've been there multiple times for hiking in the High Peaks area and do some backcountry camping. Last trip here was an attempted winter climb of Allen Mountain but there was so much snow, we had to get back after 10 hours of intense trail-breaking. What a day!

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • bring on the deals! laborers like me need deals!

• @JoeMerit said:
    bring on the deals! laborers like me need deals!

laborers like me need to save money.

• @Damian Isn't Labour (Canadian English isn't real) Labor Day a statuary holiday?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2017

The only real Labour Day is on 1rst of May. All others are cheap pirated copies from China.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Considering I work for US companies as well, I guess this applies to me too.

So, I've been working until now. And it's been a good day.

• FoulFoul Member
    edited September 2017

MikePT said: Considering I work for US companies as well, I guess this applies to me too.

You don't live in US, so it doesnt apply to you.

Thanked by 1Covelio
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Foul said:

MikePT said: Considering I work for US companies as well, I guess this applies to me too.

Well, haven't had a free day for close to a year :P

• doghouch said: Labor Day a statuary holiday?

Not in 'murrika, or at least any level where special compensation needs to be offered. Most places are closed in observance of it but computers have no holiday unfortunately. Skynet is already here.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Amitz said: The only real Labour Day is on 1rst of May. All others are cheap pirated copies from China.

In the US, May 1 is "Spy on Russian Parades Day" (historically this was a source of intelligence because the Soviets liked to parade their new hardware in Moscow, and Kreminologists could study power structures by seeing where individuals sat compared to the Premier).

I think Labor Day really is in September to avoid communist associations.

Labor Day in the US is part of the great tradition of government employees voting themselves day off. Many of our holidays are like this: Columbus Day (sop to the Italian constituency), Martin Luther King day (sop to the to the black vote), Labor Day (sop to labor unions), etc.

I will be spending the day either reverentially studying the life of Samuel Gompers and reflecting on the historical contributions of the labor movement, or grilling brats and swimming.

It's 102 frackin' degrees here.

BTW I miss the Jerry Lewis Telethon Labor Day Telethon. Growing up, my parents would let me stay up as late as I wanted the Friday before Labor Day (as school starts the following Tuesday). In the 70s, there was nothing on TV at 2am except the telethon.

• Waldo19Waldo19 Member
    edited September 2017

Amitz said: Many of our holidays are like this: Columbus Day (sop to the Italian constituency), Martin Luther King day (sop to the to the black vote)

Not looking for a reply but IMHO just mentioning these two holidays in the same sentence is utterly wrong on so many levels.

• @Waldo19 said:

Amitz said: Many of our holidays are like this: Columbus Day (sop to the Italian constituency), Martin Luther King day (sop to the to the black vote)

Not looking for a reply but IMHO just mentioning these two holidays in the same sentence is utterly wrong on so many levels.

Quick, someone mention the war!

Waldo19 said: Not looking for a reply but IMHO just mentioning these two holidays in the same sentence is utterly wrong on so many levels.

On exactly zero levels, actually.

But I know it's trendy to say that, so I grant you +10 progressive points. When you get to 1,000, you can trade them in for a blowjob from a college student. Of course, if you ask the gender of the student, you forfeit them all.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • Waldo19Waldo19 Member
    edited September 2017

@raindog308 said:

Waldo19 said: Not looking for a reply but IMHO just mentioning these two holidays in the same sentence is utterly wrong on so many levels.

On exactly zero levels, actually.

But I know it's trendy to say that, so I grant you +10 progressive points. When you get to 1,000, you can trade them in for a blowjob from a college student. Of course, if you ask the gender of the student, you forfeit them all.

Really? SMH.
    I feel sorry for your family. Feel free to ban me.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@TheRealMakan said:
    I'll be refreshing pages looking for labor day deals.

Love it! :)

Enjoy your day.

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • Happy Labor Day everyone.

Sick as shit here and when I get sick I get sick, not my tummy hurts shit.

• @AuroraZ said:

DTs are a hellufadrug bro.

• @WSS said:

@AuroraZ said:

DTs are a hellufadrug bro.

Not DTs man, fuck I wish I could stop my drugs for even a day. Then my body might reject all the metal inside me holding me together.

• @AuroraZ said:
    Not DTs man, fuck I wish I could stop my drugs for even a day. Then my body might reject all the metal inside me holding me together.

We can rebuild him. Stronger. Faster. Shitposter.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @raindog308 said:
    Labor Day in the US is part of the great tradition of government employees voting themselves day off. Many of our holidays are like this: Columbus Day (sop to the Italian constituency), Martin Luther King day (sop to the to the black vote), Labor Day (sop to labor unions), etc.

Indigenous People's Day (No I'm not kidding...)
    nypost.com/2017/08/31/los-angeles-will-no-longer-celebrate-columbus-day/

• Waldo19Waldo19 Member
    edited September 2017

If only the indigenous people had put up a wall.

Waldo19 said: Really? SMH. I feel sorry for your family. Feel free to ban me.

So I guess you're really passionate about our community. One person posts something you disagree with and you're willing to just chuck us all in the trash?

If your only reaction to someone who has a different opinion (on a pretty abstract topic) is to completely dismiss them because of your superior enlightenment, then I think you're a pretty intolerant person who's not going to be happy on the Internet. I say this because apparently my stance on federal holidays (which I first took about fifteen minutes ago) is reason for complete pitying rejection.

I think MLK day is inappropriate and it should not even be a holiday. I don't have a problem with Columbus Day. I think federal employees get way too many holidays. If you disagreed with me on any of those topics, I would shrug. It is actually OK to have different opinions and doesn't make others bad people.

I know, I know, anyone who celebrates Columbus Day is practically Hitler and in good conscience you cannot, etc.

I'd have had a lot more respect if you'd fired back something about how it's hardly surprising that a despicable fascist such as me would disparage the sexual mores of academia when in fact statistics show, etc. than just your morally superior air and lame ad hominem.

Waldo19 said: ban me

You've completely misread me if you think I'm that sort.

Thanked by 2WSS Harambe
  • @raindog308 said:

Waldo19 said: ban me

Kiss me.

• Waldo19Waldo19 Member
    edited September 2017

@raindog308 said:
    So I guess you're really passionate about our community. One person posts something you disagree with and you're willing to just chuck us all in the trash?

Interpret what what you will. I edited my post after I noticed you were a mod because Ive seen too many power tripping mods of various forums. I don't know you or follow you and just wanted to state a persons internet authority means nothing to me. Your post really caught me off guard.

@raindog308 said:
    If your only reaction to someone who has a different opinion (on a pretty abstract topic) is to completely dismiss them because of your superior enlightenment, then I think you're a pretty intolerant person who's not going to be happy on the Internet. I say this because apparently my stance on federal holidays (which I first took about fifteen minutes ago) is reason for complete pitying rejection.

Fair criticism based on my post in this thread alone but I attempt to make a concerted effort to no longer engage in online dick measuring contests. I had my share in 07 leading up to the election. No thanks, I just felt inclined to post because I honestly couldnt believe what I read.

@raindog308 said:
    I think MLK day is inappropriate and it should not even be a holiday. I don't have a problem with Columbus Day. I think federal employees get way too many holidays. If you disagreed with me on any of those topics, I would shrug. It is actually OK to have different opinions and doesn't make others bad people.

Thats why I no longer engage in online convos like these? If MLK should have a federal holiday or not is another topic but that fact that you think Columbus Day is okay proves to me that this conversation is a complete waste of time.

@raindog308 said:
    I'd have had a lot more respect if you'd fired back something about how it's hardly surprising that a despicable fascist such as me would disparage the sexual mores of academia when in fact statistics show, etc. than just your morally superior air and lame ad hominem.

Nah, maybe a few years ago but I have a 17 month daughter and she takes up all of my energy. I use to enjoy the banter and back and fourth... It even looks like you're great at it and in a previous internet life I would have given you my best shot but I'll bow down. I don't have the energy for this b.s. You win brethren.

@raindog308 said:

Good to know you don't take things personal. Life is short.

Back on topic now...

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @Foul said:

BUT BUT BUT outsourcing....

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

WSS said: mention the war!