Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spamhaus lists Digital Ocean's entire /20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spamhaus lists Digital Ocean's entire /20

Comments

• Probably not "ignoring" but just volume-based; Spamhaus' expectation for response/action is not within the realm of reality of any host.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

@Damian said:
    Probably not "ignoring" but just volume-based; Spamhaus' expectation for response/action is not within the realm of reality of any host.

There's 193 IP's listed from DigitalOcean, 91 of them in August 2017 alone they definitely goofed. Spamhaus also list their contact attempts:

Date: 2017-08-02

Date: 2017-08-13

Date: 2017-08-17

It was definitely ignored.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited September 2017

How do you say "You dun goofed" in Banglish?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Interesting. Spamhaus has been pretty hard on smaller providers (like us) but I'm surprised they do this with big providers too. DO is clearly not a spam operation so I'm surprised they would blacklist over 4,000 IPs.

193 listed IPs = <5%. So 95% of the IPs are clean and Spamhaus are essentially punishing 19 innocent people for every 1 guilty person.

Seems unreasonable to me.

• randvegeta said: 193 listed IPs = <5%.

True - but 193 offenders/compromised hosts is a lot in absolute terms. The only practical and effective way to wake up a big provider is to punish big really.

They apparently contacted DO over the course of many weeks so I don't think there is an excuse on DO's part. @jarland please

• That's what they do. They're using their abilities to strong-arm as their product is supported by virtually every MTA without much work involved. This alone is good reason to remove them from any services.

• Was something expected. For few month DO was on top of spam charts.

Thanked by 2Rhys jiggawatt
    edited September 2017

Spamhaus doesn't charge for de-listing, so they have no incentive to strong-arm any providers. They have an incentive to maintain a good and effective list.

• @jiggawattz said:
    Spamhaus doesn't charge for de-listing, so they have no incentive to strong-arm any providers. They have an incentive to maintain a good and effective list.

Back when I was in the biz, we had an issue with one user who decided to go Rogue. We were listed and it took several months to get them to take us off after that user was no longer on our Network. I would say that they are effective, but I would still question their abilities to service providers which don't offer them incentives for fast removal.

• That isn't the only /20 listed.

There is another one: https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL369271

There's also loads of /22's, /23's, /24's

https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/digitalocean.com

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Not defending DO's lack of action, they are a nightmare when you need them to pay attention, it took me a week to get a DOS attack stopped from DO a while back.

That said, spamhaus are way over the top with their listing practices, if they really gave a shit they would list the individual IP's, I hope DO actually fights them, its about time a big player put them in their place.

• jiggawattz said: Spamhaus doesn't charge for de-listing, so they have no incentive to strong-arm any providers.

Their business practices are very similar to the Mafia, in that yes they do not actually sell a product, but MY what a nice shop you have here.

Would be a shame if anything HAPPENED to it, you know?

Fortunately our colleagues can sell you some PROTECTION to ensure that everything remains RESPECTABLE if you know what I mean.

edited September 2017

Damian said: Their business practices are very similar to the Mafia, in that yes they do not actually sell a product, but MY what a nice shop you have here.

They aren't a business. They are a non-profit with sponsors

(Indeed there is an obvious potential conflict of interest in that list, but I still think this is DO's fault.)

AnthonySmith said: I hope DO actually fights them, its about time a big player put them in their place.

The sponsors Amazon Web Services and the Nordic Infrastructure for Research & Education Net combined could put DO in their place, yes.

• I'm enchanted. I mean it, I just love DO getting raped hard by spamhaus.

Simple reason: DO is big enough to hit back hard - and it's about time someone beat the living shit out of spamhaus.
    But then, being a big company we might as well soon see DO on the list of spamhouse sponsors. Might be cheaper than fighting.

• My experience with DO's abuse department has been... Lacking at best.

Notified them that an IP of theirs is spamming my forum & they replied stating that the "customer is running a VPN service, so we can't do point the abuse at a specific user".

• so spamhaus is the enemy, and DO the savior?

don't forget DO had many spammer/botnet there. They might want to fight spamhaus, but they must clean their dirty IP first :-)

• @Aidan said:
    My experience with DO's abuse department has been... Lacking at best.

Notified them that an IP of theirs is spamming my forum & they replied stating that the "customer is running a VPN service, so we can't do point the abuse at a specific user".

Really? Post the ticket and shame :P

• Please stop insinuing something hidden on spamhaus. They have public charts

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/networks/

Ovh in last months fighted a lot and losses lot positions. All should do this.

Is NOT spamhaus "secret plan"

Thanked by 2jiggawatt DarioX
  • Why do people even trust Spamhaus in the first place?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited September 2017

If Virmach's recent thread is anything to go by, it could have been the case that scamhaus demanded customer data on the malicious ips and if DO had a backbone, they denied that request leading to this listing.

Thanked by 1dwtbf
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@matteob said:
    Please stop insinuing something hidden on spamhaus. They have public charts

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/networks/

Ovh in last months fighted a lot and losses lot positions. All should do this.

Is NOT spamhaus "secret plan"

Man. Spamhaus is a monopoly and a fucking shaddy business. Period.

• Really? Post the ticket and shame :P

I replied to them (albeit 24 hours later) & they ignored my complaint to the point where they never responded back.

Same thing happened a few months later - relating to a rather nasty DoS attack.

Thanked by 3emgh doghouch Rob92
  • @MikePT said:

Especially when your network is full of spammer/botnet... :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I wonder who pays for the lists with so many false positives. Surely it's a nuisance for those who use it ?

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2017

@Aidan said:
    My experience with DO's abuse department has been... Lacking at best.

Block the IP or range on your web server, that's what most people do if VPN services cause them problems.

@jiggawattz said:

randvegeta said: 193 listed IPs = <5%.

True - but 193 offenders/compromised hosts is a lot in absolute terms. The only practical and effective way to wake up a big provider is to punish big really.

They apparently contacted DO over the course of many weeks so I don't think there is an excuse on DO's part. @jarland please

Abuse complaints are not ignored. That isn't to say that we're getting to them as quickly as we'd like right now. If this listing is causing an issue for you personally, please open a support ticket and slip me a PM here with the email on the account. It's one thing to know the value of a listing personally, another to hear a customer's story of it's direct impact to them.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

You can take either sides stance, but I dont think anyone can seriously disagree, listing a /20 or a /19 when the /24's are clearly and obviously in use by different companies not even in the same DC is ridiculous and shows complete incompetence.

I have been caught up in that in the past, spamhaus was wrong to do that, end of story.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nicely engineered, @jarland. I expect an mxroute "special introductory" offer any moment...

Thanked by 2jar lazyt
  • @Aidan said:

I replied to them (albeit 24 hours later) & they ignored my complaint to the point where they never responded back.

So where is here the problem? This is exactly the response what i would expect as customer. They could give you contact info of the VPN provider (if they provided that to DO) and ask him to blackhole you. But nothing more.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@user54321 said:

@Aidan said:

So where is here the problem? This is exactly the response what i would expect as customer. They could give you contact info of the VPN provider (if they provided that to DO) and ask him to blackhole you. But nothing more.

There are some situations in which each choice will create a passionate opponent to your decision. There is no win in those cases, just a choice of who to upset. Such is life. You just make the best decision you can at the time, the one you think to be most right and appropriate.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@matteob said:

@MikePT said:

Especially when your network is full of spammer/botnet... :)

Yeah, is it? Seriously?
    And how do you know that?