Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porkbun vs Namesilo - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Porkbun vs Namesilo

Comments

• I use both after abandoning NameCheap.

• oborsethoborseth Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:
    Porkbun is based in Portland, Oregon. Reason enough to stay away.

Hey now. I hail from rural Washington and built / run most aspects of the bun. You're right however, the company is based out of Portland. We do try and keep a very low ratio of hipsters on staff though.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

@oborseth Spokane? Also Re: Hipsters. How many fixies in the office? How about beards?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: Namecheap also only supports SMS-based 2FA, bah. Everyone else supports Authenticator-style.

When you lose your phone, those SMS 2FAs will come to your new one.

When you lose your phone, those Authenticator numbers won't. In fact, there's no way to reconnect them, so you'll need to type in those recovery codes for every. single. site. you. use.

Enjoy.

Thanked by 2WSS Amitz
  • @raindog308 said:
    When you lose your phone, those Authenticator numbers won't. In fact, there's no way to reconnect them, so you'll need to type in those recovery codes for every. single. site. you. use.

My god this was a pain. Broke my phone, moved to another, and had to go and reauth for everything. Thankfully, after a support request, my number on file was called by PorkBun, and they turned it off.

• oborsethoborseth Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:
    @oborseth Spokane? Also Re: Hipsters. How many fixies in the office? How about beards?

Chehalis. We have 0 fixies that I know of and only 2 beards. Well, my "beard" is more or less unkempt stubble that comes and goes so only 1 real beard in the office.

For 2FA, we've started looking into doing SMS. There are quite a few changes coming up that will hopefully deal with many of the concerns and issues with the site.

• @oborseth Shit, that's so small that I haven't even heard of it. How crazy were things when the cow got loose? Stubble doesn't count as a beard, so you guys are way low on hipster count..

For what it's worth, you're hosting 31 of my drunken purchases worthwhile domains, including some that predate your company by at least a decade. Do the needful- please treat them kindly.

• @WSS said:

@raindog308 said:

My god this was a pain. Broke my phone, moved to another, and had to go and reauth for everything. Thankfully, after a support request, my number on file was called by PorkBun, and they turned it off.

If you have root, you can just regularly backup the app's database with Titanium Backup, and restore your latest backup to your new phone. I much prefer TOTP to SMS for 2FA.

Lots of pretty scenery around Centralia / Chehalis once you get a little ways away from the freeway; otherwise, it feels like an overgrown truck stop; definitely not hipstery.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • When I say broke, I mean broke. adb shell need not apply. It died hard.

• Hxxx said: Where is the namecheap selection.

I find namecheap UI very hard to use. Namesilo and Porkbun UI are easy to use.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@seanho said:

@WSS said:

@raindog308 said:

If you have root, you can just regularly backup the app's database with Titanium Backup, and restore your latest backup to your new phone. I much prefer TOTP to SMS for 2FA.

You can also take a picture of the QR code before scanning it into your Authenticator app. Encrypt them or print them out or whatever and keep them safe. When your phone breaks and you get a new one, just scan the QR code again and you're cruising.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

Yeah, I keep printouts of private QR codes taped to my monitor, along with my root passwords.

Yes, I did intentionally cherry-pick your statement.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • You could also be lazy and use Authy for backed up OTPs that uses your phone number as first-time verification https://authy.com/

That said, I'd love to have a self-hosted version of Authy.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

oborseth said: Chehalis

I have no idea how that's truly pronounced, but in my family we always say it in our best heavy metal announcer voice: Che-HAY-lis!

It just sounds like a band that would open for Motley Crue or something.

• @caracal said:

There are Perl libraries that can/do this easily for you, but you'll need to figure out the methodology/hashes yourself.

Thanked by 1caracal
  • caracalcaracal Member
    edited September 2017

@WSS said:

@caracal said:

There are Perl libraries that can/do this easily for you, but you'll need to figure out the methodology/hashes yourself.

True. But I'm lazy and entitled. I demand a docker-compose.yml

• WSS said: Yeah, I keep printouts of private QR codes taped to my monitor, along with my root passwords.

Its what I also practice. I also wrote the pin of my ATM at the back of my ATM card so I won't forget it when I withdraw money.

• @jcaleb said:

WSS said: Yeah, I keep printouts of private QR codes taped to my monitor, along with my root passwords.

Its what I also practice. I also wrote the pin of my ATM at the back of my ATM card so I won't forget it when I withdraw money.

Anything else is just so inconvenient. Sometimes I have to tell the machine to spit my card back so I can check the code. Whenever it eats the card, I go inside and yell, and try to get that person fired for not returning my card. My god, what is this world we live in!?!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • This is the first time I register a domain. I picked Porkbun because they were cheap and talked about in a positive light on this forum and elsewhere, and their website looked decent. I only learned about NameSilo later.

While my experience so far is very short, I've had no problems with Porkbun, but when I researched some things I realized that NameSilo offers some potentially important things that Porkbun doesn't:

• they say their email forwarding service uses SRS, while Porkbun says nothing about this, and the forwarded email I get from them comes with an SPF softfail, likely due to that;
    • the limit for email forwards is 100, while Porkbun allows no more than 10, which is low even for a small group of individuals managing an amateur site (anything more serious, and I do understand you should be running your own mail server);
    • they provide the ability to create additional users for the web interface and give them limited domain management capabilities, while I don't see this with Porkbun;
    • as others have mentioned, the Porkbun API is very limited, and while I wasn't really planning to use any API honestly, having that would partly let me compensate for the previous point by letting my users set things up by creating a limited API wrapper for them.
    Thanked by 1bitswitch
  • Porkbun all the way. Just like their simple interface and pleased service

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2017
    Poll not found

Anyhow, i vote for Porkbun.

I have started migrating my domains there and they are good. They event told me when to transfer, so i get the max out of my domain lease. Plus, to my knowledge, they have the best renewal + privacy prices for most of the TLDs.

• Both are good.

• @sibaper said:
    until you use epik.com

And pay $35 for a renewal? Thats 90s Network Solutions all over again.

@LjL said:
    While my experience so far is very short, I've had no problems with Porkbun, but when I researched some things I realized that NameSilo offers some potentially important things that Porkbun doesn't:

Excellent review, keep up the good work ( to make use of a cliché-ey phrase :D )

I have been a longtime advocate of Namesilo, still think they are among the best registrars but recently started to seriously consider Porkbun too because of some of Namesilo's actions/decisions in regard to free speech.

• @bitswitch check my screen shot above $8.49 registration and renewal for .com.

Ask their live chat to get that price.

• No discussions - namesilo all the way.

• @sibaper said:
    @bitswitch check my screen shot above $8.49 registration and renewal for .com.

I did notice your screenshot but it didnt say how you got that pricing.

I am not sure though why one should go through that hassle.

No offence, but I fail to understand how they should have an advantage over Porkbun and Namesilo.

• No discussions - namesilo: no way.

• @bitswitch said:

@sibaper said:
    @bitswitch check my screen shot above $8.49 registration and renewal for .com.

I did notice your screenshot but it didnt say how you got that pricing.

I am not sure though why one should go through that hassle.

No offence, but I fail to understand how they should have an advantage over Porkbun and Namesilo.

I dont know either, but so far I love them. I wont change to any registrar in near future.

I loelve they notify me on every changes on domain, easy to use interface and fast

If you wont contact them, then stay with your current registrar.

• bitswitchbitswitch Member
    edited December 2017

@sibaper said:
    I dont know either, but so far I love them. I wont change to any registrar in near future.

I loelve they notify me on every changes on domain, easy to use interface and fast

If you wont contact them, then stay with your current registrar.

Fair enough, not saying you can or should not like (or even love) them, just that there is no visible advantage over the two registrars discussed in this topic. Maybe they offer special renewal tariffs for some customers but as it is their pricing is about 20 years old :)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Shot2 said:
    No discussions - namesilo: no way.

Why? Any reason for it?