Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why some VPS show "CPU steal time" but some not ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

why some VPS show "CPU steal time" but some not ?

Hi , I was wondering.

so I have been using nixstats , and I saw this

this one shows CPU stolen time 1%

and another one

which doesn't show have steal time

but why is that ?

Comments

• because some vps don't face any steal time?

• One is oversold, one isn't ;-;

Thanked by 2rm_ Kris
  • qtwrkqtwrk Member
    edited September 2017

@Aidan said:
    One is oversold, one isn't ;-;

perhaps , but still doesn't add up.

what exactly does steal time means ?

for example at moment I have 80% CPU usage with 50% steal time,

it's like my CPU needs 80 guys to work , but 50 guys were not here and only 30 guys doing the job ?

• @jetchirag said:
    because some vps don't face any steal time?

hmmmm , I don't think so , I have quite few lowend VPS , and I always safely assume it's been overselling , yet only 1 out of 6 VPS I currently holding is showing steal time.

• CPU cycles are shared across virtual machines on the server. 
    If your VM displays a high %st in top (steal time), this means CPU cycles are being taken away from your VM to serve other purposes.

If it's only 1%, with the vps being idle, then you have nothing to worry about.

• @Aidan said:

CPU cycles are shared across virtual machines on the server. 
    > If your VM displays a high %st in top (steal time), this means CPU cycles are being taken away from your VM to serve other purposes.

If it's only 1%, with the vps being idle, then you have nothing to worry about.

Yeah well, 1% ain't worry me, what worries me is when i do some heavy task, like,99% cpu usage with 60% steal time, that is what worries me.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

qtwrk said: 99% cpu usage with 60% steal time, that is what worries me.

Basically it means you only get 0.4 of the CPU core, but you use all of that (99%).
    The rest (60% of the core) is used by other customers.

And yes the reason is CPU overselling, way more customers on the node wanting to use CPU, than CPU cores.

Thanked by 2WSS qtwrk
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

On Nixstats it only shows the cpu steal in that graph if cpu steal was > 0%

1% is usually nothing to worry about. I usually redeploy a machine if the cpu steal is higher than 10% consistently, for example on digital ocean or OVH.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @rm_ said:

qtwrk said: 99% cpu usage with 60% steal time, that is what worries me.

Basically it means you only get 0.4 of the CPU core, but you use all of that (99%).
    The rest (60% of the core) is used by other customers.

And yes the reason is CPU overselling, way more customers on the node wanting to use CPU, than CPU cores.

So in that case, let's assume one core full capacity is 100% , by 99% with 60% steal, means I get about 1(1-0.6)0.99= 39.6% of its full capacity?

• nielsniels Member
    edited September 2017

RedHats explanation:

Steal time is the amount of CPU time desired by a guest virtual machine that is not provided by the host. Steal time occurs when the host allocates these resources elsewhere: for example, to another guest.

>

[..]

>

Large amounts of steal time indicate CPU contention, which can reduce guest performance. To relieve CPU contention, increase the guest's CPU priority or CPU quota, or run fewer guests on the host.

This presentation by IBM also explains it pretty well ("Steal time is the percentage of time a virtual CPU waits for a real CPU while the hypervisor is not scheduling this virtual CPU").

It can be explained by congestion on the host due to too many VMs trying to use the CPU at the same time, but also by a guest that's trying to use more resources than allocated for it. If you're getting consistently high steal times (> 10%) with low CPU usage (1-15%), it's usually an indication of congestion. If you're getting high steal times with high CPU usage, it might be an indication that your plan is too small and should consider a plan with more vCPUs or a dedicated core.

edited September 2017

rm_ said: you only get 0.4 of the CPU core

qtwrk said: means I get about 1(1-0.6)0.99= 39.6% of its full capacity?

Do you see an important distinction between 0.4 and 0.396? That you had to clarify?

Thanked by 2WSS Junkless
  • @rm_ said:

rm_ said: you only get 0.4 of the CPU core

qtwrk said: means I get about 1(1-0.6)0.99= 39.6% of its full capacity?

Do you see an important distinction between 0.4 and 0.396? That you had to clarify?

no , just calculator shows that.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It is also worth noting if the host actually bothers to set up CPU affinity properly you yourself could be the cause of the steal time you see on your own VPS.

Just because you see steal time does not mean a node is oversold, it could just as easily mean you are abusing the CPU policy yourself and this is preventing you from impacting others.

Thanked by 2WSS vpsGOD
  • OpenVZ setup properly? What the.. Oh, Hi Ant!

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
    edited September 2017

AnthonySmith said: you yourself could be the cause of the steal time you see on your own VPS.

Wot. In the end it's still capping applied to your VPS from the outside. You still get less CPU than a full core. What is the cause, is secondary. And if a provider needs to apply such limits, the reason is still -- the need to oversell. Oh and kindly look up what "CPU affinity" actually means, as you seem to have some wrong idea.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    It is also worth noting if the host actually bothers to set up CPU affinity properly you yourself could be the cause of the steal time you see on your own VPS.

Just because you see steal time does not mean a node is oversold, it could just as easily mean you are abusing the CPU policy yourself and this is preventing you from impacting others.

Well , but i still didn't get it.

As in this screenshot

http://imgur.com/h3AaSHi

CPU usage 5% with 4% steal time,
    That red line is constantly right after blue line.

And I wouldn't qualify using 5% CPU as abusing...

• @rm_ said:
    Wot. In the end it's still capping applied to your VPS from the outside. You still get less CPU than a full core. What is the cause, is secondary. And if a provider needs to apply such limits, the reason is still -- the need to oversell. Oh and kindly look up what "CPU affinity" actually means, as you seem to have some wrong idea.

If you paid for "1/4 CPU"- then guess what your limit is. You can burst to 25% of that (usually Virtual) CPU. Yes, the reasoning would be for overselling et. al., or LET alone. Some people think they can peg the CPU at 110% on a $30/yr storage box with their "Linux ISOs", as evidenced above- and why I hate seeing any host I really like finding it's way here.

@AnthonySmith said nothing about the reasons behind doing so- just that this is a likely cause other than a noisy neighbor. The whole "CPU affinity" was obviously shorthand for "Bound to a (Virtual) CPU with X% dedicated to you". He's not a bloody idiot.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

I was not really referring to this case specifically, I was just pointing out that steal time is not always due to overselling, its a protection/limit in place (which should be defined in the terms in advance of purchase) to prevent people (there are a lot of them) who think VPS cores are 100% dedicated to them.

The sort of people that praise OVH or DO VPS's because they don't give a shit or pay much attention to abuse due to volume.

side note, the whole VPS, VPS's thing does my head in.

WSS said: If you paid for "1/4 CPU"

Nope, I don't buy plans with a stupid limitation like this. And on plans with no upfront limitation, having user-visible CPU steal is a very bad sign.

WSS said: "CPU affinity" was obviously shorthand for "Bound to a (Virtual) CPU with X% dedicated to you"

And again, you don't understand what that term means either.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

@rm_ said:
    Nope, I don't buy plans with a stupid limitation like this. And on plans with no upfront limitation, having user-visible CPU steal is a very bad sign.

That's why I no longer do business with CC owned VPS providers. EIGv2.

@rm_ said:

I know precisely what it means, thank you. Why are you being a defiant prick today? That's my, @Nekki, and @AuroraZ 's job.

• @WSS said:

@rm_ said:

That's why I no longer do business with CC owned VPS providers. EIGv2.

@rm_ said:

I know precisely what it means, thank you. Why are you being a defiant prick today? That's my, @Nekki, and @AuroraZ 's job.

Who's trying to take my job? No one takes my job dammit! Yeti's Unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @AuroraZ said:
    Who's trying to take my job? No one takes my job dammit! Yeti's Unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's drunkposting so he's at least 3/4 there.