Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone ever wanted a dedicated server that did not need an HDD?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone ever wanted a dedicated server that did not need an HDD?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
edited September 2017 in General

I had a novel idea.

Would there be any interest in a dedicated (or VPS even) server without any local storage?

I'm thinking along the lines of a PXE boot server that would allow the server to boot up into Linux (like Sysrescue OS) and then you can use the box for numerous odd tasks, but without having any local storage.

Alternative arrangements for storage could be made, but you would in theory be able to still use the server for testing scripts, some software/apps, network, etc. But you would never need to worry about your actions being logged, or having to encrypt your drive. You could mount a remote drive (completely off-site) for (slow) storage. But everything else could potentially run extremely quickly on the server itself.

Interesting concept or stupid?

Edit: I've updated the title from "Anyone ever wanted a dedicated server without an HDD?"

Comments

• lionlion Member
    edited September 2017

If someone doesn't want to use the harddrive they just won't use it, no need for removing it. Also harddrives are the cheapest(?) parts of a server, not too much of a business there.

• what are the numerous odd tasks?

• Not in the mood to have my server take 10 minutes to boot off oversold network storage :(

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@doghouch said:
    Not in the mood to have my server take 10 minutes to boot off oversold network storage :(

Would be hard to generate high load with only OS files, that would later be cached, would be available on the storage.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

doghouch said: Not in the mood to have my server take 10 minutes to boot off oversold network storage :(

That's not what I was suggesting, nor how it would work.

The OS would boot into RAM and so there would be no permanent storage of any kind. It would also make the server faster to run. Boot time is generally faster than local storage as long as there aren't hundreds of machines booting at the same time.

lion said: If someone doesn't want to use the harddrive they just won't use it, no need for removing it. Also harddrives are the cheapest(?) parts of a server, not too much of a business there.

Yes indeed, but this is not really about cost saving.

ehab said: what are the numerous odd tasks?

I often boot up one of my servers via PXE for small tasks. Mainly related to network monitoring and performance testing. But also for VPN/Proxy stuff.

There are possibly other functions for a server without persistent storage... But one of these servers could easily have a number of applications installed that would otherwise normally be reserved for regular servers.

Who knows.. maybe there are some CPU/RAM intensive cryptocurrencies that could be mined (obviously not BitCoin or other coins with an ASIC/GPU advantage).

One benefit would be the absolute guarantee that there would be no logs of any kind left on the server. You could use it for potentially highly sensitive tasks without worrying about a drive storing data that could be forensically retrieved.

Again, I am not suggesting this would be a mainstream service.

• @randvegeta if you didn't use partedmagic then please do, its a paid os but i recommend it, has all that you'd need on a desktop Also has a PXE and runs from ram.

i would mount a ram directory and use that for temporary storage.

its possible but still limited so i'll pass.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @randvegeta Even so, it's not that efficient to have every server load the operating system into RAM...

ehab said: partedmagic

Isnt that just for partitioning disks?

doghouch said: @randvegeta Even so, it's not that efficient to have every server load the operating system into RAM...

So you think 'it's a stupid idea' ?

• @randvegeta said:

check it out and you'll love it :) if you plan to use it. I have it with my keys as a usb and save me 2 or 3 times.

• For VPNs that are only running on ram it could be a thing #nordvpndoesthisithink

• levnodelevnode Member
    edited September 2017

Anyone wants a VPS/Dedicated server without RAM and we will use hard disk to store volatile data? You will have as much of virtual RAM as you want.

levnode said: Anyone wants a VPS/Dedicated server without RAM and we will use hard disk to store volatile data? You will have as much of virtual RAM as you want.

Don't think a server can boot without RAM :P

• Ideal for coin mining at high CPU power.
    This makes sense if the processor is xeon e56xx or better and lower prices compared to all other providers.
    For example, I can rent Dual E5-2660 V2 3.00GHz/20 cores, 32GB DDR3, 1TB hdd. for $ 80 @ needaserver.
    I would be happy to get such a server with 4GB RAM / 0 hdd / 10Mbps for $ 60-70.

Strikerr said: I would be happy to get such a server with 4GB RAM / 0 hdd / 10Mbps for $ 60-70.

Not all that unreasonable. The power costs are not so high and without an HDD, there really is very little to break and go wrong.

Another benefit is that if anything were to go wrong, deploying another server without a disk would be trivial.

• @randvegeta Ultimately, it is your choice. With network booting, you'll have to make sure that the line doesn't get congested, or risk slow booting.

With that said, it's nice that you're willing to try new things. Best of luck with your idea :)

• I had written up a few paragraphs here, but decided to just delete them and agree with @ehab.

• Love the idea if it would be a bit cheaper than just not using the HDD (PXE & then just not mounting it), and if there was a huge selection of PXE images, and an option to supply your own PXE image somehow. And if it had lots of RAM of course.

I'd prefer dedicated hardware, and to keep the price low I'd go for some sort of "micro-blade" style servers. Kinda like what scaleway uses. Lots of servers per rack, and low electricity costs per server.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Definitely a no go. At least a small hdd or cheap small ssd. `

• @that_guy said:
    Love the idea if it would be a bit cheaper than just not using the HDD (PXE & then just not mounting it), and if there was a huge selection of PXE images, and an option to supply your own PXE image somehow. And if it had lots of RAM of course.

Look into iPXE. A further-fleshed out option that already exists is NetBoot.XYZ

Thanked by 2ehab that_guy
  • Alpine linux comes to mind - has mode to run from RAM while also providinng more fine-grained options for storing persistent configuration + data as desired to disk partition ...