Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Survey Storage Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Survey Storage Server

aulinaulin Member, Provider
edited August 2017 in Requests

We want to expand our offer and therefore I wanted to ask in the LET community, if and which Storage VPS are needed.
You can also make (price) suggestions.

Thanks, Aulin

Survey Storage Server
  1. Which Storage Server do you want?115 votes
    1. OpenVZ 500GB
        4.35%
    2. OpenVZ 1000GB
        6.96%
    3. OpenVZ 2000GB
        7.83%
    4. KVM 500GB
      14.78%
    5. KVM 1000GB
      26.96%
    6. KVM 2000GB
      39.13%

MS-Cloud | EU Shared, Managed & Reseller Hosting | Cloudlinux + cPanel + JetBackup + Softacolous + Website Builder | VPS

«1

Comments

    • only KVM
    • only with some kind of underlying redundancy (raid 60, ceph whatever)
    • less than 5€ per TB space
    Thanked by 217brownj sipe

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

  • hosthatchhosthatch Member, Top Provider

    @Falzo said:

    • only KVM
    • only with some kind of underlying redundancy (raid 60, ceph whatever)
    • less than 5€ per TB space

    Does it matter if you have to pay, say, yearly or more to reach the 5 eur per TB mark? And in your opinion, what would be a fair bandwidth allocation per TB storage for 5 eur?

    Deploy excellent quality VMs in 14 global locations - hosthatch.com

  • @Abdullah said:

    Does it matter if you have to pay, say, yearly or more to reach the 5 eur per TB mark? And in your opinion, what would be a fair bandwidth allocation per TB storage for 5 eur?

    Not Falzo but.. Just chiming in: I'd be happy to pay annually if I trust that the provider would be around (track record, presence on LET etc). I'd like at least outbound bandwidth of 2x the storage.

    Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • 5 eur/TB is an ok price for a storage KVM with raid6 or equivalent, but it's a tough sell unless you're an established provider who has been around for a while. Moving that much data to a new host if the old one deadpools is a big hassle, and I don't mind risking 10-15 eur on some newbie's 1 year small vps, 120 eur for a 2tb storage plan leaves me in suspense. There's another provider who did a special offer of a 2tb kvm for 100 usd/3 years, which is scary. That guy has been a good and reliable LET providers for years but I still felt some reservations before buying.

    Right now I have 15 or 20 TB of storage scattered around so I'm not looking for more right now, but I always like to follow interesting storage offers.

    #lexit spread the word.

  • @caracal said:

    @Abdullah said:

    Does it matter if you have to pay, say, yearly or more to reach the 5 eur per TB mark? And in your opinion, what would be a fair bandwidth allocation per TB storage for 5 eur?

    Not Falzo but.. Just chiming in: I'd be happy to pay annually if I trust that the provider would be around (track record, presence on LET etc). I'd like at least outbound bandwidth of 2x the storage.

    can't agree more... yearly is fine for me too.

    need of bandwidth whilst in use for me usually is low because of making heavy use of differential/incremental techniques. only might need to peak bandwidth in case of initial upload or if an incident happens and the backups are needed to be downloaded again.
    so 2x of storage sounds quite reasonable.

    but I'd most likely also go with something like a yearly amount of 12TB per TB storage if we are talking about a yearly product anyways, or you could do something like 500GB per month (on 1TB storage) whilst allowing three months out of that year an overage of upto 2 TB...
    I know accounting such scenarios might be not so easy, it's just hard to define bandwidth limits purely matching backup needs.

    as said, I do use storage for real backups only, not plex/seedbox stuff, so my needs probably are not so much representing the average storage box user...
    better think about the group of customers you are really aiming at with your product! ;-)

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

  • After read this, I feel I have to do backup of my backup...

    Thanked by 2nice Waldo19

    netcup 5 euro coupon: 36nc15324722143 36nc15324722144

  • @qtwrk said:
    After read this, I feel I have to do backup of my backup...

    redundancy doesn't hurt, so yes go for it.

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

  • hosthatchhosthatch Member, Top Provider

    @Falzo said:

    @caracal said:

    @Abdullah said:

    Does it matter if you have to pay, say, yearly or more to reach the 5 eur per TB mark? And in your opinion, what would be a fair bandwidth allocation per TB storage for 5 eur?

    Not Falzo but.. Just chiming in: I'd be happy to pay annually if I trust that the provider would be around (track record, presence on LET etc). I'd like at least outbound bandwidth of 2x the storage.

    can't agree more... yearly is fine for me too.

    need of bandwidth whilst in use for me usually is low because of making heavy use of differential/incremental techniques. only might need to peak bandwidth in case of initial upload or if an incident happens and the backups are needed to be downloaded again.
    so 2x of storage sounds quite reasonable.

    but I'd most likely also go with something like a yearly amount of 12TB per TB storage if we are talking about a yearly product anyways, or you could do something like 500GB per month (on 1TB storage) whilst allowing three months out of that year an overage of upto 2 TB...
    I know accounting such scenarios might be not so easy, it's just hard to define bandwidth limits purely matching backup needs.

    as said, I do use storage for real backups only, not plex/seedbox stuff, so my needs probably are not so much representing the average storage box user...
    better think about the group of customers you are really aiming at with your product! ;-)

    Thanks for the detailed response. Coding something like that for bandwidth accounting will be a pain and it will get...confusing for the average user. 2TB bw / 1TB storage sounds quite reasonable and keeps things simple.

    Sorry to keep asking my questions in someone else's thread, I just have one more: does it matter to you if your storage is located in 'exotic' locations like, for example, Vienna or Zurich, as compared to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, NYC or Los Angeles (the major cities for hosting/connectivity)? I assume you'd want the best network throughput and not really the exoticness of a location?

    Deploy excellent quality VMs in 14 global locations - hosthatch.com

  • nicenice Member, Provider

    Nice pool results, obviously KVM (safer and allows FDE)

    NiceVPS.net - Professional private hosting, VPS (KVM/LXC), Anonymous Domains - instant and automatic delivery
    Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum, Ripple, DASH, Monero, Zcash, PayPal and PerfectMoney Accepted - Own HW and control panel (hPanel)

  • @Abdullah said:
    does it matter to you if your storage is located in 'exotic' locations like, for example, Vienna or Zurich, as compared to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, NYC or Los Angeles (the major cities for hosting/connectivity)? I assume you'd want the best network throughput and not really the exoticness of a location?

    For storage I don't care too much about the location (besides being somewhat geographically diverse from whatever I'm backing up), network performance for backups (and more importantly: restores) is top of the list. Predictable hardware performance is another priority, don't want a bunch of folks running seedboxes and thrashing I/O.

    Thanked by 2Falzo hosthatch

    🐴 $2/mo 512MB KVM - Unmetered bandwidth. $1.25 for 256GB Block Storage - from BuyVM (aff)

  • aulinaulin Member, Provider
    edited September 2017

    Thank you for the participation. I have just calculated quickly and the offers could look as follows:

    500GB KVM ~ 5€ / 1TB KVM ~ 8€ / 2TB KVM ~ 15€

    Traffic = 2x Storage / 10GB SSD for OS / rest network based storage

    sounds interesting? would you need/buy that?

    MS-Cloud | EU Shared, Managed & Reseller Hosting | Cloudlinux + cPanel + JetBackup + Softacolous + Website Builder | VPS

  • @Falzo said:

    @qtwrk said:
    After read this, I feel I have to do backup of my backup...

    redundancy doesn't hurt, so yes go for it.

    Yes, sounds like ambulance is calling for another ambulance...

    Thanked by 1Falzo

    netcup 5 euro coupon: 36nc15324722143 36nc15324722144

  • @Abdullah said:

    Sorry to keep asking my questions in someone else's thread, I just have one more: does it matter to you if your storage is located in 'exotic' locations like, for example, Vienna or Zurich, as compared to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, NYC or Los Angeles (the major cities for hosting/connectivity)? I assume you'd want the best network throughput and not really the exoticness of a location?

    keep it coming, no problems with questions ;-)

    for the location I agree with @Harambe. I don't care much about the location as long as the network performance won't be a bottleneck. that said probably anywhere in europe can be a decent option for me.

    for network speeds: real transfer rates of 10MB/s and lower don't make sense - especially outgoing that is. if I need to recover 50GB of data I don't want to wait for an hour or more...

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

  • Where are you located?

  • @aulin said:
    Thank you for the participation. I have just calculated quickly and the offers could look as follows:

    500GB KVM ~ 5€ / 1TB KVM ~ 8€ / 2TB KVM ~ 15€

    Traffic = 2x Storage / 10GB SSD for OS / rest network based storage

    sounds interesting? would you need/buy that?

    Any discounts for longer commitment periods? Is network storage = CEPH?

    Also, which DC, what company etc would help a lot.

  • @aulin said:
    Thank you for the participation. I have just calculated quickly and the offers could look as follows:

    500GB KVM ~ 5€ / 1TB KVM ~ 8€ / 2TB KVM ~ 15€

    Traffic = 2x Storage / 10GB SSD for OS / rest network based storage

    sounds interesting? would you need/buy that?

    Whats the configuration of the storage element?

    Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

    less than $7 for more cores VM and decent storage, you need to be dumb to enjoy VM with 1 vCPU.

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • aulinaulin Member, Provider

    The whole thing is just an idea at the moment, we haven't defined everything in detail yet. We wanted to know if there's some kind of interest.

    @cpsd said:
    Where are you located?

    We are located in austria, but most of our hardware is in germany and france

    @caracal said:
    Any discounts for longer commitment periods? Is network storage = CEPH?
    Also, which DC, what company etc would help a lot.

    A discount for long term contracts is conceivable, but implementation and prices are not fixed

    @Nekki said:
    Whats the configuration of the storage element?

    No fixed setup yet, but if implemented in any case a RAID redundancy. If the implementation should take place, there will definitely be a free test.

    Thanked by 1vimalware

    MS-Cloud | EU Shared, Managed & Reseller Hosting | Cloudlinux + cPanel + JetBackup + Softacolous + Website Builder | VPS

  • Meh, those prices are objectively reasonable but as a new provider you're going to be treated as an unknown, competing against knowns who are charging similar or lower prices. That makes things harder for you.

    Also I think there's finally no shortage of cheap storage VPS around here. It may be time to consider different product offerings. An S3-like object store at $10/TB/mo with 2TB of internet traffic included would be an interesting addition, especially if traffic is free or heavily discounted within your own LAN (i.e. to other servers that you host in the same DC).

    #lexit spread the word.

  • If I may interject a quick question (because I suspect that some of you have already figured this out), what would be a good price per storage GB per month on a KVM VPS? For example, give an interval in USD: "From $0.XX to $0.YY per GB per month on a KVM VPS (would be a good price)."

    "Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

  • @angstrom said:
    If I may interject a quick question (because I suspect that some of you have already figured this out), what would be a good price per storage GB per month on a KVM VPS? For example, give an interval in USD: "From $0.XX to $0.YY per GB per month on a KVM VPS (would be a good price)."

    totally depends on the intended usage I'd say.

    for example OVH charges 0.04 € per GB and month within their public cloud range for additional disks. I'd consider that as reasonable for normal production use as addon disk on a VM. as plain (backup) storage that would be far too much.
    again OVH charges 0.01 € per GB and month for snapshots which I find reasonable because of it being integrated services on demand. still too much if this would be an external backup/storage space...

    Thanked by 1angstrom

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

  • @Falzo said:

    @angstrom said:
    If I may interject a quick question (because I suspect that some of you have already figured this out), what would be a good price per storage GB per month on a KVM VPS? For example, give an interval in USD: "From $0.XX to $0.YY per GB per month on a KVM VPS (would be a good price)."

    totally depends on the intended usage I'd say.

    for example OVH charges 0.04 € per GB and month within their public cloud range for additional disks. I'd consider that as reasonable for normal production use as addon disk on a VM. as plain (backup) storage that would be far too much.
    again OVH charges 0.01 € per GB and month for snapshots which I find reasonable because of it being integrated services on demand. still too much if this would be an external backup/storage space...

    I see, yes, there are indeed different cases to consider (plus the distinction between hot and cold storage). Appreciate your reply.

    "Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

  • OVH cloud storage is a completely different product aimed at an enterprise-ish market. In the LET world I'd consider "cheap storage" to be $10/TB and below, and "really cheap storage" to be $5/TB or below before long term discounts, which can be substantial. OpenVZ storage (e.g. Time4VPS) tends to be cheaper than KVM. These days I'm willing to pay a premium for KVM but am willing to use OVZ storage if the price is right.

    Thanked by 1angstrom

    #lexit spread the word.

  • @Abdullah said:
    Sorry to keep asking my questions in someone else's thread, I just have one more: does it matter to you if your storage is located in 'exotic' locations like, for example, Vienna or Zurich, as compared to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, NYC or Los Angeles (the major cities for hosting/connectivity)? I assume you'd want the best network throughput and not really the exoticness of a location?

    For semi-cold storage (archiving, backups, personal/private use) with low activity, I only care for lots of storage for dirt cheap. As long as I can get about 100MBit/s on average within europe I'm fine.

    For hot-storage (seedbox, big public downloads, semi-public/multi-people use) with lots of activity I strongly prefer the big high-traffic countries/hosters.

    For everything else (web, mail, dns, gameservers) an "exotic" country might be very interresting, depending on the usecase. Storage there might also be interresting for people who live there, and are far away from the high-traffic countries.

    Thanked by 1Aluminat

    Don't forget to like, subscribe, and comment below.
    "they just simply can't trace me down on internet because I'm using Linux." Mr_indescribable

  • This is cheap! But why would anybody trust their data to some euro random guy? Whats your company? Is it recognized? How many years in business? Are you a registered business?

  • @Hxxx said:
    This is cheap! But why would anybody trust their data to some euro random guy? Whats your company? Is it recognized? How many years in business? Are you a registered business?

    Probably, most of us will use it for hot-storage purpose only like @that_guy said.

    We don't care our data will be leaked as long as no DMCA come out.

  • Encrypt and have multiple copies; then if they deadpool or leak/snoop your data, no harm done.

  • @Hxxx said:
    This is cheap! But why would anybody trust their data to some euro random guy?

    Easy: anyone with a brain wouldn't use the worlds cheapest offers for anything that is somehow important/private/mission-critical etc. Just choose the right tool for the task.

    Warning everyone: rant ahead! You can skip the following.

    For some usecases I'm a total cheapass myself. But I'm realistic. I hate those people who search for the worlds cheapest offers, and then are dumb enough to base their own business (or other important stuff) on it. And then whine in public about each problem, as if they paid 50x as much for a 100% uptime, fully managed, n-redundancy, highend business SLA with 24/7/365 priority phonesupport and a 5 minute reaction time.

    See hostsolutions. I understand that people were pissed, but IMHO he didn't the deserve the hate he got from some. Critisism: yes. He could have planned it better. But hate: no! And no "worst host ever", "totally incompetent", "I'll sue hin in romania" type of attitude. You just can't be a cheapass and feel entitled at the same time. Well, you can, but it doesn't work out, and makes you look immature and not too bright.

    I totaly respect @coicu, his attitude, his way of running his business and of course his storage offers. For some projects thats the kind of guy I wanted to work with. But for a totally mission critical production server for my employer, I'd look for a different type of hoster/DC, and not for a ~4€ openVZ VPS, no matter who the hoster is.

    Protip: Pretend you want to become a hoster yourself. Do some rough calculations. Back and forth. Try to have prices that are at least somewhat competitive, and at least enables you to quit your current daytime job. Don't forget taxes, and that you should have at the very least 1 employee in a different timezone who can handle the support and the servers/routers etc. You might also want to put some money aside for a lawyer. You'll need one occasionally. And they don't work for 20€/year.

    And BAM! All of a sudden you realize that you'd have to cut a fucking lot of corners just to have "affordable" prices. And you wonder how the even cheaper competitors manage to not loose 10.000€ per month with their offers. You even start to respect and love them because they are obviously not in it for the money, but for altruistic reasons. IMHO it's not OK to bash selfless people who are eating cold baked beans straight out of the can each night, so that they can supply the poor with hosting. Bash the hosters who charge you normal amounts and (much) more, and then fuck things up on a monthly basis.

    TL;DR:
    1. think!
    2. be grateful, understanding and supportive to those who almost work for free so that you can enjoy 1 more starbucks per month.

    PS: I just got 1 of those 1TB, umetered, 10GBit/s burstable storage VPSes from treudler.net for 3.33€/month. I expect issues! But I understand that I get what I pay for. So I'm fine with that for unimportant usecases.

    Thanked by 1Aluminat

    Don't forget to like, subscribe, and comment below.
    "they just simply can't trace me down on internet because I'm using Linux." Mr_indescribable

  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited September 2017

    You are wrong. A customer doesn't have to go into the process of... "aww this is a good guy, he is almost doing this for free!!!". That's not the world works.

    Anyway keep buying those super cheap offers, hopefully we will never see a thread from you bashing those providers.

    Protip: Let the hosting stuff to the pros and don't try to be a provider by cutting corners. In advance, you are better off working at McDonalds.

    @that_guy said:

    @Hxxx said:
    This is cheap! But why would anybody trust their data to some euro random guy?

    Easy: anyone with a brain wouldn't use the worlds cheapest offers for anything that is somehow important/private/mission-critical etc. Just choose the right tool for the task.

    Warning everyone: rant ahead! You can skip the following.

    For some usecases I'm a total cheapass myself. But I'm realistic. I hate those people who search for the worlds cheapest offers, and then are dumb enough to base their own business (or other important stuff) on it. And then whine in public about each problem, as if they paid 50x as much for a 100% uptime, fully managed, n-redundancy, highend business SLA with 24/7/365 priority phonesupport and a 5 minute reaction time.

    See hostsolutions. I understand that people were pissed, but IMHO he didn't the deserve the hate he got from some. Critisism: yes. He could have planned it better. But hate: no! And no "worst host ever", "totally incompetent", "I'll sue hin in romania" type of attitude. You just can't be a cheapass and feel entitled at the same time. Well, you can, but it doesn't work out, and makes you look immature and not too bright.

    I totaly respect @coicu, his attitude, his way of running his business and of course his storage offers. For some projects thats the kind of guy I wanted to work with. But for a totally mission critical production server for my employer, I'd look for a different type of hoster/DC, and not for a ~4€ openVZ VPS, no matter who the hoster is.

    Protip: Pretend you want to become a hoster yourself. Do some rough calculations. Back and forth. Try to have prices that are at least somewhat competitive, and at least enables you to quit your current daytime job. Don't forget taxes, and that you should have at the very least 1 employee in a different timezone who can handle the support and the servers/routers etc. You might also want to put some money aside for a lawyer. You'll need one occasionally. And they don't work for 20€/year.

    And BAM! All of a sudden you realize that you'd have to cut a fucking lot of corners just to have "affordable" prices. And you wonder how the even cheaper competitors manage to not loose 10.000€ per month with their offers. You even start to respect and love them because they are obviously not in it for the money, but for altruistic reasons. IMHO it's not OK to bash selfless people who are eating cold baked beans straight out of the can each night, so that they can supply the poor with hosting. Bash the hosters who charge you normal amounts and (much) more, and then fuck things up on a monthly basis.

    TL;DR:
    1. think!
    2. be grateful, understanding and supportive to those who almost work for free so that you can enjoy 1 more starbucks per month.

    PS: I just got 1 of those 1TB, umetered, 10GBit/s burstable storage VPSes from treudler.net for 3.33€/month. I expect issues! But I understand that I get what I pay for. So I'm fine with that for unimportant usecases.

  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Provider

    Soo, A 72T is 60TB in R6 lets say 56TB usable.. 3.33EUR*56 = 222USD... Server is 439USD sooo, math is not working here.

Sign In or Register to comment.