Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So where are the CrashPlan refugees headed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So where are the CrashPlan refugees headed?

As they shut their home plan down many of us might be looking for options.

So what have you decided to go for? Or still exploring?

Poll not found

Comments

• What are "backups"?

Thanked by 2Waldo19 vimalware
    • Poll not found. +1 for the high availability setup

Thanked by 2Francisco dwtbf
    • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

You forgot the staying with Crashplan option.

• @trewq said:

Another option: keep using the software but back up to your own (or friends') computers. Thing is, how long will it keep working? Crashplan's software has always been a giant memory hog and tended to break about every other time they try to force an upgrade. I don't have a lot of confidence that entropy won't wipe it out as soon as they stop supporting it...

• DevilDevil Member
      edited August 2017

@szarka said:

@trewq said:

Yes, I intended to add that option but I forgot. I am not sure if an admin can override and add it :)

(But I kind of find them really untrustworthy. The way they kept users waiting for half a decade while they had no plans to get the native app and other improvements)

Also the native app they brought in more than 6 years in not native. It's an Electron app.

Another option: keep using the software but back up to your own (or friends') computers. Thing is, how long will it keep working? Crashplan's software has always been a giant memory hog and tended to break about every other time they try to force an upgrade. I don't have a lot of confidence that entropy won't wipe it out as soon as they stop supporting it...

I think you can't. The apps will stop working (or that's what CrashPlan is saying).

• @Aidan said:
      What are "backups"?

You mean to ask what is a backup, or referring that I have used the plural term in my post somewhere?

• @Devil said:
      I think you can't. The apps will stop working (or that's what CrashPlan is saying).

Hmm.. I don't see anything in their explanation that says one way or another (just that it stops working when you migrate to the business plan). But the way they originally promoted their software was that you could use it for free without signing up for Crashplan at all. So I assumed (perhaps foolishly?) that you could just take the software and keep going, minus any backup to CP's cloud...

szarka said: Crashplan's software has always been a giant memory hog and tended to break about every other time they try to force an upgrade. I don't have a lot of confidence that entropy won't wipe it out as soon as they stop supporting it...

I've got a NUC loaded with 8GB RAM and all it runs is the Crashplan daemon headless backing up network mounted drives. Not ideal but it works.

• Hmm.. so technically that would count as one device, right? Then the business plan is probably a good option that way...

• tomletomle Member, LIR

I'm also using Crashplan to back up to a friend's computer. Will be looking for software that supports the same functionality across Linux and Windows. Also with file versioning if possible and free of course. Any pointers from others in the same situation appreciated here in the thread :)

• Still using PROe

• I have been recommended this software: https://www.urbackup.org/

Looking for comments!

@szarka said:
      Hmm.. so technically that would count as one device, right? Then the business plan is probably a good option that way...

You're correct, only counts as a single device.

• I've seen a lot of people move to rclone + Google Drive.

• @tomle said:
      I'm also using Crashplan to back up to a friend's computer. Will be looking for software that supports the same functionality across Linux and Windows. Also with file versioning if possible and free of course. Any pointers from others in the same situation appreciated here in the thread :)

Git and mercurial

• rclone and B2, seems about the cheapest I can find.
      Although I'm thinking I don't even need that. Between Dropbox, Gmail, Google photos that's all the important stuff.
      If it wasn't for Netflix and Spotify it would be a whole different answer.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

doghouch said: Poll not found. +1 for the high availability setup

HA is great. But that's a completely different problem.

Let's say I have a 3-node MySQL galera cluster. That protects me if node #2 blows up. But it doesn't protect me if someone does a DELETE FROM without a WHERE clause. After that happens, I now have 3 copies of bad data. I need to "back up" in time. HA can't do that.

You may or may not need HA (depends how long you can afford to be done). You always need backups unless you can afford to lose the data. They're different needs.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm debating. $120/year is not outrageous for backups and what I need to backup is on one central file server.

But I also have a half-dozen PCs that backup to that file server for local backup via CrashPlan server-to-server (these backups don't go to the cloud). I don't think that will keep working.

Then again, I hate backing up PCs...if it's important put on the server.

• Not sure why no one mentioned Duplicati yet, it has a nice GUI, supports multiple backup destinations, has built-in encryption and support all 3 major OS (Windows, Mac and Linux), even has a Synology port too! https://www.duplicati.com/

Thanked by 1jaden