Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can be use to make 1 big VPS from dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What can be use to make 1 big VPS from dedicated server?

marsonmarson Member
edited August 2017 in Help

Hello

I have dedicated server from online.net summer sale and I would like to make 1 big VPS from the entire dedicated server because I would like to be able to optain a cheaper license for cpanel and I also would like to be able to make VPS backup easily. I prefer to use free software but I can pay couple of dollars if it will be wordh it. P.S the spec of this dedicated server is:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31220 @ 3.10GHz
2x 2 TB in RAID 1
16 GB RAM

There will be only one VPS I don't plan to make another VPS bussines or split that machine into several ones for friends etc. there are simply too small resources to do that

Comments

• Proxmox perhaps, it's found under "Virtualization distributions"

• What virtualization do you recommend for that purpose especially in terms of easy backup of the machine. Openvz will be enough?

• OpenVZ is no longer supported on newer versions of Proxmox.

• The most well known virtualization platforms that come with GUI are Promox VE, VMware Esxi, and XenServer. All of them could be used for free to cover your requirement and plan.

• Use proxmox :)

• Consider proxmox or virtualizor with lxc vrtiualization. With lxc you will not have overhead as it is only a container.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • VMWare ESXi works as well. Version 6.5 has a web interface. There's also a free license-- you just cant create VPSs with it and sell it on that without licensing and paying $$ for each VPS sold.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Vsphere (formerly known as esxi) if your server has hardware raid since it doesn't support software raid.

Virtualizor license for a single VPS is only $1/month.

• marsonmarson Member
    edited August 2017

Thanks for the replies but what about backups? I used XenServer in the past for one of my client but the backup was painful because it needs to have a backup space equal to allocated VPS space - in my case 2 TB instead of for example around 200 GB that is used on the VPS. Is the same applies to vmware or LXC?
    Also another question - about a year ago when I checked last time the LXC under Virtualizor was in beta stage and it wasn't recommended in production. It is still tru for now?

• @marson said:
    because I would like to be able to optain a cheaper license for cpanel

You know that's against the ToS to do that, right?

• imokimok Member
    edited August 2017

I use Proxmox with KVM virtualization for my cPanel instance.

Inside cPanel I'm using JetBackup for incremental backups. On hypervisor level I do remote NFS backups.

• WirrkopfWirrkopf Member
    edited August 2017

@Zerpy said:

Is that so? After all it is still a VPS

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You can mount any storage using NFS and backup there.

The free version of Vsphere allows you make a copy of your server. Paid versions open up for incrimental/differential backups. Saves a ton on bandwidth

• How much resources should be left for the node when setting up a server with one vps on Proxmox? Suppose the server has 32g ram and 8 cores, should I make the vps 32g ram and 8 cores or 31g ram and 7 cores?

• @Wirrkopf said:

@Zerpy said:

Yes it's against their ToS to deploy physical servers with a virtualization layer, just to save on licensing costs :-)

It doesn't prevent you from doing it, but they have their full right to actually terminate your license as they wish.

Thanked by 1Wirrkopf
  • @wilbo said:
    How much resources should be left for the node when setting up a server with one vps on Proxmox? Suppose the server has 32g ram and 8 cores, should I make the vps 32g ram and 8 cores or 31g ram and 7 cores?

If you use openvz you can oversold it for yourself 10 cores 36g ram

• @Zerpy said:

Why? I am serious - why? It is cpanel's decision to not limiting resource as a VPS, I have the right to use 2 TB VPS if I want right? As I said I also want to be able to create backup of entire machine and / or it's snapshot. So what is illegal with that? The fact that I create only 1 VPS from entire server, or the fact that this VPS is so big? but if the latter what about e.g. contabo offer? Probably I will be even unavle to activate dedicated license on VPS so how to deal with this to be legal? I thing it is my right how to configure the server and if I would like to use VPS due to easier backup or some kind of portability it should be my decision?

• marsonmarson Member
    edited August 2017

@marson said:
    @Zerpy said:

Why? I am serious - why? It is cpanel's decision to not limiting resource as a VPS, I have the right to use 2 TB VPS if I want right? As I said I also want to be able to create backup of entire machine and / or it's snapshot. So what is illegal with that? The fact that I create only 1 VPS from entire server, or the fact that this VPS is so big? but if the latter what about e.g. contabo offer? Probably I will be even unavle to activate dedicated license on VPS so how to deal with this to be legal? I thing it is my right how to configure the server and if I would like to use VPS due to easier backup or some kind of portability it should be my decision?

• @Zerpy said:

@Wirrkopf said:

@Zerpy said:

Yes it's against their ToS to deploy physical servers with a virtualization layer, just to save on licensing costs :-)

I am not sure if it is but for sure there are a few providers doing that. As far as I remember this is something BuyVM does to keep the shared hosting costs low as well. Like what OP said, there is nothing wrong with creating a VM on a dedi and run CPanel on the VM. There is no line in their ToS which states that you can not create one VMs on the dedi you host CPanel on.

Thanked by 1Wirrkopf
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Zerpy said:

@Wirrkopf said:

@Zerpy said:

It doesn't prevent you from doing it, but they have their full right to actually terminate your license as they wish.

Source?
    VPS are convenient for backups, faster migrations, etc. I have never heard about what you mentioned.

• Just contact [email protected] - state your intentions - wait for the hammer.

And regardless of that - it's being a jerk anyway to single VM your dedis to save on licensing costs - but then again, this is LET - people try to get away with everything.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited August 2017

Zerpy said: You know that's against the ToS to do that, right?

Wrong.

Zerpy said: Yes it's against their ToS to deploy physical servers with a virtualization layer, just to save on licensing costs :-)

This is untrue. Can you point to something in the license agreement where this is stated?

https://cpanel.com/assets/docs/legal-agreements/cpanel-whm-eula.html

In fact if you read the agreement, a "licensed server" is defined and it's stated that can be a VPS for purposes of the agreement, but there is no discussion about any limitations or configurations.

Zerpy said: Just contact [email protected] - state your intentions - wait for the hammer.

Turns out that I did just that. Ticket 4532311 has been open since 2014 and the legal department hasn't replied: http://www.vpsadvice.com/buy-a-vps-license-for-your-cpanel-dedi/

The truth is that there is nothing in their legal agreement that prevents this. I've read the agreement and there is nothing remotely referring to what you're stating. And that's the only governing agreement.

The idea that cpanel's VPS license limits how many VPSes you can use, or you must use so many VPSes, or your VPSes can be only so big, etc. is all urban legend spread in forums. cPanel refuses to add any of the appropriate language to their license, so it's completely legit to have a single large VPS cPanel license on a dedi server.

• Just contact [email protected] - state your intentions - wait for the hammer.

In the future, please quote your sources when making broad based statements.

• @robohost said:

@wilbo said:
    How much resources should be left for the node when setting up a server with one vps on Proxmox? Suppose the server has 32g ram and 8 cores, should I make the vps 32g ram and 8 cores or 31g ram and 7 cores?

If you use openvz you can oversold it for yourself 10 cores 36g ram

Don't encourage future summerhosts :I

• @raindog308 said:

Zerpy said: You know that's against the ToS to do that, right?

Wrong.

Zerpy said: Yes it's against their ToS to deploy physical servers with a virtualization layer, just to save on licensing costs :-)

This is untrue. Can you point to something in the license agreement where this is stated?

Yeah... I remember speaking to them awhile back and asked if they had an issue if I virtualized my dedicated server rather than use cPanel bare metal. They said they had no issues with it and I'd need a VPS license for it.

I don't have the chat transcript to hand though.

I mean at the end of the day - regardless the size of the VPS it's still a VPS and would be hard to prove you're doing it solely for licensing reasons.

• I think virtual box is the easiest one.

• marsonmarson Member
    edited September 2017

@yokowasis said:
    I think virtual box is the easiest one.

Virtual Box on a dedicated server? I thought that VB is only for a desktop users not for a Virtual Private Server. i.e what about GUI? Installing whole X.org server + VMC client just to create and manage VM is ridiculous or maybe I don't know something?

• @marson said:

@yokowasis said:
    I think virtual box is the easiest one.

Virtual Box on a dedicated server? I thought that VB is only for a desktop users not for a Virtual Private Server. i.e what about GUI? Installing whole X.org server + VMC client just to create and manage VM is ridiculous or maybe I don't know something?

Use proxmox it's better for dedicated servers.
    Instead of using destop apps.

• Zerpy 0

free people of LET 1