Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS to Server as VPN Server and Cloud Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS to Server as VPN Server and Cloud Storage

dignst01dignst01 Member
edited July 2013 in Requests

Hello,

I have been reading through discussions for some time but really would appreciate some advise for my specific situation.

I work IT for a small international school in China. There are many education resources that are not available here and so we would like set up a VPN on a VPS (L2TP or OpenVPN or possibly both) for our staff to use.

We would also like to install OwnCloud to provide cloud storage for staff.

All this would serve the 80 members of our staff.

What Host would be a good fit? What resources would be sufficient for this? I have a budget of about $85/Month.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Comments

• awsonawson Member

I'd suggest Prometeus. Very stable and suitable for business use.

• yywudiyywudi Member

for L2TP, xen or kvm or OK(or ovz of buyvm). and as you're in china, prometeus's italy DC has the not so good connectivity, so i suggest Linode Japan or many US west coast providers.

don't know about ownclound, but i think your $85 budget is enough for providers in LET

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited July 2013

Do you intend to keep cloud storage outside China as well, since this brings in latency and bandwidth issues...
    or you want the cloud storage to be accessible only via the VPN?

• Sent you a PM.

• @peppr said:
    Do you intend to keep cloud storage outside China as well, since this brings in latency and bandwidth issues...
    or you want the cloud storage to be accessible only via the VPN?

I have only played with OwnCloud a little but since the files sync to a local folder, my original thought was to keep it on the VPS. I do not have access to server space in China. I might be able to set something up on the Active-Directory servers on campus but our on-campus networking is a little abnormal so I am not sure how that will work.

I am more concerned about setting up a VPN that can server everyone. What level of bandwidth/RAM should I be looking at to properly server 80 computers?

• dnwkdnwk Member

@dignst01 I would suggest you setup a Linode with Japan Server. So that you could get faster speed. OwnCloud is a pretty good system.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I would suggest a dedicated server with a lot of storage. As for latency and stuff, it depends where your exit points are from the VPN. If mostly US, the west coast there is perfect. If you need all over the world, then a close by location, will do better. I dont know connectivity CN<->JP but i know JP<->EU sucks, so, maybe something in HK or SG to have a more balanced connectivity.

• J4vadJ4vad Member
    edited August 2013

i think windows vps with rras configuration is better for you and there you can have OwnCloud and accounting Nttac plus for you staffs .

avanetco group setup and config it for you ;)

• AFAIK LA is having the best ping for US <-> CN

• Get this:

VPS7 - 160 GB Disk Space
    7024 MB Guaranteed RAM
    8000 MB Burstable to RAM
    8000 GB Bandwidth
    1 Gbps Network Speed
    2 IP Addresses
    Full Root Access
    $79.95/month

http://www.sonwebhost.com/bill426/cart.php?gid=5

• xsetxset Member

@sonwebhost that is expensive. quickpacket offers a dedicated for 49$ with 16 gb ram 1000gb disk 2 x xeon cpus

• What Host would be a good fit? What resources would be sufficient for this? I have a budget of about $85/Month.

• xsetxset Member

@sonwebhost so you try to sell your most expensive vps running on celeron?

• I have a chat line you can use freely can you contribute to the post please. Thanks

• Check out the dedicated server offerings from ovh and online.net.

• xsetxset Member

I cant recommend Ovh, getting network timeouts all the time

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Why the heck are you guys recommending european providers to a guy in China.

Also, this topic is three weeks old and @dignst01 isn't active here anymore.

• @Nyr said:
    Why the heck are you guys recommending european providers to a guy in China.

Why not?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@joelgm said:
    Why not?

Because:

• I doubt OVH does business with chinese customers.
    • OVH France is at least 300 ms from China and OVH Canada at least 200. OP wants to do VPN for 80 users.

So best option would be Asia or West Coast of the US if he wants access to "resources not available there". Any provider at QuadraNet LA for example would be a much better option.

• tuxtux Member

@Sonwebhost said:
    Get this:

VPS7 - 160 GB Disk Space
    7024 MB Guaranteed RAM
    8000 MB Burstable to RAM
    8000 GB Bandwidth
    1 Gbps Network Speed
    2 IP Addresses
    Full Root Access
    $79.95/month

http://www.sonwebhost.com/bill426/cart.php?gid=5

LET limit is 7 USD.

• All this would serve the 80 members of our staff
    On a seven dollar server

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited August 2013

@tux said:

Unless I'm highly mistaken, that limit is for posting offer threads. It's reasonable to assume that providers are not barred from offering their custom products in response to a specific request.

As an aside, we should probably let Sonwebhost do his business without tripping him along every step of the way. It's not like we have had any negative reviews of his service so far.

A little bit of heckling is fine, but he's a provider after all and it doesnt do him good to keep throwing comments every time he offers something. Or is LET like college where the not-so-cool-guy gets to be ridiculed every time he walks through the corridor?

The prospective buyer is intelligent enough to make an informed decision.

@Nyr said:
    So best option would be Asia or West Coast of the US if he wants access to "resources not available there". Any provider at QuadraNet LA for example would be a much better option.

Well, I'm from India, and all twelve of my VPSes are based off the US and UK.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

We are with ColoCrossing/Quadranet in LA. Send us a ticket for a quote.

• skaska Member

@joelgm said:
    Well, I'm from India, and all twelve of my VPSes are based off the US and UK.

Any EU VPS should give you better ping than a US based one.