Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can we backup Xen/OpenVZ virtual instance & redeploy it on the same or a different host?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

can we backup Xen/OpenVZ virtual instance & redeploy it on the same or a different host?

raza19raza19 Veteran
edited July 2013 in General

i use vmware pretty frequently on my work and home pcs & one of the features I love about is the option of copying a virtual machine and running it from another pc.

So, what I want to know are there any hosts which allow you to make backups of your virtual instance be it xen/openvz along the hard disk data.

Wouldn't this be the best form of backup ? & If it were possible then why r not many hosts talking about it ? "like instantly load ur xen machine on myexample host etc". I can understand many things might not work ip configs, etc but these are minor compared to the major hassles of restoring everything one at a time or does it not work like this for xen/openvz?

Your thoughts ?

Comments

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2013

XEN is a little more complicated, but with OpenVZ you just tar the entire VM and can redeploy it anywhere.

• @Hassan - what about programs that I have compiled on the original OpenVZ VPS, if I tar and upload to another OpenVZ, will it just work. Or will I have to downlaod and compile those programs again on the new VPS?

• @Hassan said:
    XEN is a little more complicated, but with OpenVZ you just tar the entire VM and can redeploy it anywhere.

dd if=/dev/volgroup/xenvol bs=1048576 | pigz -9c | ssh root@otherhost "pigz -dc | dd of=/dev/volgroup/xenvol bs=1048576 obs=1048576"

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    Hassan - what about programs that I have compiled on the original OpenVZ VPS, if I tar and upload to another OpenVZ, will it just work. Or will I have to downlaod and compile those programs again on the new VPS?

They will generally work. not all OVZ hosts enable the same modules, if you need some exotic ones, they may not work, but a recompilation will not solve the problem either.

As for Xen, if the hosts use the same virtualization method (pv-pv ot hvm-hvm) they will work out of the box, presuming you can load your own kernel, if you made modifications to it in order to make your programs run or you need a specific kernel version.

TL;DR with the regular hosts using solusvm will work 99% of time.

• @Maounique said:
    TL;DR with the regular hosts using solusvm will work 99% of time.

I'm using the pretty much standard modules, and compile asterisk from scratch, using my script posted in the tutorials section. If I do a webmin backup of this asterisk install on OpenVZ, will it work on another OpenVZ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Almost sure yes. I was thinking of a more radical procedure, copy the entire VPS. Your approach should work 100%.

• jfnjfn Member
    edited August 2013

OpenVZ - absolutely can be done, without a doubt, although there may be a few post-migration tweaks (namely the modules running on the HWN, and that's usually a quick fix depending on the provider. The simplest method, obviously, is packaging the container as a template and using rsync to move it to the new environment. The other option is a live migration with vzmigrate. Both have similarities. The vzmigrate process should be researched though, as the process will destroy the container private area (/vz/private/$CTID and the $CTID.conf) on the old hardware node by default (use the -r no switch to prevent this) so if something went wrong on the new HWN, or there was a glitch during migration, you could run into a few issues with recovering your data. Also, try not to jump too far between kernels (UBC/RHEL5 2.6.18 vs. VSwap/RHEL6 2.6.32).

As it relates to providers allowing this, I generally will obtain some documented/verified consent to do so, otherwise the data could potentially fall into the wrong hands. Also, it would have to be placed somewhere publicly accessible datastore as I wouldn't allow any outside involvement with my HWNs at any time, and some providers may apply a resource fee or other service charge for the work involved on their part.

Hope it works out for you :)