Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On the marktet for a KVM SSD VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

On the marktet for a KVM SSD VPS

Hi Fellows,

You might point me in the right direction here. Am about to move from a managed services web hosting server to a full hosting server without managed services. I know all the hassle but it's fine with me.

The objective is run two our three main domains under the same server using virtual hosts. All based on wordpress and just one using a forum software.

So my questions are regarding but not limited to Ramnode, Linode and BuyVM.

Do they all offer a DNS Manager?
Is it possible to add tld with just two characters like .cc, .co, etc?
Can I add domains with a hyphen, like my-domain?
Can I add subdomains do my my domain, like sub.my-domain.cc, etc?
Do I need the NSD server installed?

(these all sound dummy questions but trust me, i need to confirm it).

So, which plan do you guys suggest for the long haul, thinking about three years:
Linode
4 Cores
8GB RAM
96 GB SSD
4 TB transfer Bandwidth
40 Gbps(Network In)
1000 Mbps(Network Out)

BuyVM
3 Cores @ 3.50+ GHz
12GB RAM
240 GB SSD
Unlim. 1000 Mbps Bandwidth

Ramnode
4 Cores
4GB
65GB
5000GB Bandwidth

Feel free to suggest any other solid company w/ us-east data center. (80% traffic coming from south america)

Thanks

Comments

• Yes, domains with hyphens will work ;)

• For DNS management, I'd actually recommend using CloudFlare. Can't confirm with other providers but if you use Linode or CloudFlare for DNS, .cc/co etc. is suppoerted, hyphen domains and subdomains are also supported and no need to install DNS server on your VPS.

Thanked by 1sin
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Get. A. Slice. ;)

No in the DNS management.

Francisco

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Like sanvit said, using CloudFlare to manage your DNS is really a good thing to do. Plus the CDN/protection through CF is there if you ever have a use for it in the future. Most don't do any DNS management and stay away from it and domains. Also CentminMod will be useful probably, since you're coming from managed..

• HxxxHxxx Member

Well is definitely between BuyVM , Digital Ocean (DO), Vultr, Linode and RamNode.

It really doesn't get better than these for unmanaged VPS.

I know that DO and Linode offer a dns manager.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited August 2017

Why the hell would you want to use CF? I mean, lazy is lazy but this is just dumbtarded.

Install nsd on the host and use your favorite management tool for your sites if you're up to that sort of thing- or just use the free DNS management that is given away free with virtually every registrar in the last decade.

Thanked by 1hdpixel
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:
    Why the hell would you want to use CF? I mean, lazy is lazy but this is just dumbtarded.

>

It's pretty damn good as far as free DNS goes. I'd use it over most registrar DNS any day.

Thanked by 1sin
  • IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

Its a good practice to not couple your registrar, dns hosting, and service provider. It gives you better flexibility and easier to move one component. I kept linode hosting for a year just because I had used their DNS service for so many domains (and it was too cheap to move).

I use Cloudflare DNS now, and recommend out customers use Cloudflare, even if they dont use CloudFlare CDN.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Harambe said:

@WSS said:

>

It's pretty damn good as far as free DNS goes. I'd use it over most registrar DNS any day.

Same here. I use cloudflare to manage DNS for my domains.
    They are damn good for the anycast DNS hosting service that they provide for princely sum of $0/Mo.

• Is this what my site is missing CF?

• Wherever you go, don't forget to do backups. If sonething goes wrong, you should be able to run a script and have recent (<24h) data restored at DO/Vultr/Linode ... You can test that by spinning up an instance, restoring & then destroying it.

• WSSWSS Member

@Harambe said:

@WSS said:
    Why the hell would you want to use CF?

>

Well OK.

@K4Y5 said:

@Harambe said:

@WSS said:

>

Same here. I use cloudflare to manage DNS for my domains.
    They are damn good for the anycast DNS hosting service that they provide for princely sum of $0/Mo.

They're shitty fucksuckingcocksmokingclerks tho?

• sinsin Member

Cloudflare's free dns is awesome...I use it on hundreds of sites and it's never let me down.

• I'm suspicious of free dns including cf's... they must be doing something bad with the data. That said I've been too lazy and cheap to set up anything but registar dns, and the default (eeeeeek) google 8.8.8.8 pre-installed on most vps. I want to sign up for rage4 one of these days, unless someone has other suggestions (hmm, OVH maybe). I'll have very modest query rates and want something not too expensive with good privacy.

• @willie said: I'm suspicious of free dns including cf's... they must be doing something bad with the data. ... I want to sign up for rage4 one of these days, unless someone has other suggestions

For DNS, you're also at the mercy of whatever (recursive) resolver the end user is using to get your domain's IPs.

As for trying out a DNS service, take a look at CloudNS.net (@BoyanPeychev) as well. They're good and are decently priced and I think in general most folks have good things to say about them.

• nullnothere said: For DNS, you're also at the mercy of whatever (recursive) resolver the end user is using to get your domain's IPs.

I mostly don't have any end users. The DNS is for outgoing requests from my own box.