Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a server that supports scanning?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• What type of scanning?
    This may be against the rules: "We do not allow discussion of how to commit illegal activities such as D/DOS attacks, spamming, hacking, etc."

• test999test999 Member
    edited August 2017

Is to collect some information, not illegal scanning and ddos

@magicvpn said:
    What type of scanning?
    This may be against the rules: "We do not allow discussion of how to commit illegal activities such as D/DOS attacks, spamming, hacking, etc."

• @test999 said:

@magicvpn said:
    What type of scanning?

What information?

• @magicvpn said:

@test999 said:

@magicvpn said:
    What type of scanning?

What information?

Collect some of the site information, may be said to have attacked!

• @test999 said:

@magicvpn said:

@test999 said:

@magicvpn said:
    What type of scanning?

What information?

Hmm, If this is legal most hosts will allow this.

• box.cock.li is one such host

• @magicvpn said:

@test999 said:

@magicvpn said:

@test999 said:

@magicvpn said:
    What type of scanning?

What information?

But will receive abuse of complaints

• @test999 said:

@magicvpn said:

@test999 said:

@magicvpn said:

@test999 said:

@magicvpn said:
    What type of scanning?

What information?

But will receive abuse of complaints

It doesn't seem to be legal if they recieve abuse...

• Can anyone explain me if there is any legal port scan.
    From my knowledge is always illegal.

• perryoo11 said: Can anyone explain me if there is any legal port scan. From my knowledge is always illegal.

Is knocking on every door of a house illegal? No, just annyoing.

• ______ Member

• matteobmatteob Barred
    edited August 2017

@Amitz said:
    Is knocking on every door of a house illegal? No, just annyoing.

this is totally different. If you scan a network without explicit authorization you break some laws. No matter the reason (except some countries)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2017

matteob said: you break some laws

Did the FBI tell you that during the raid that never happened?
    Cite a corresponding law and I shut up and am with you. I can imagine that there are laws against scanning and I understand that a lot of scanning attempts are malicious and not science related, but I still wait to see someone citing a real law from a relevant country.

I will read through this now:
    https://nmap.org/book/legal-issues.html
    Let's see what it says...

//Edit: I am not through yet, but it seems to be more a of a grey zone than something that is explicitely regulated in most countries. ISPs don't like it, server owners don't like it. That's understandable, but does not make it illegal.

So, again: Cite a law from a country with a proper legal system that declares port scanning to be illegal or stop spreading FUD.

Thanked by 3Rhys Darwin switsys
  • that_guythat_guy Member
    edited August 2017
    1. How about Novogara (a.k.a. ecatel) and their resellers? If they are fine with DDoS booters and lots of other nasty stuff, I'm sure they won't mind stupid portscanns.

2. Get some cheap VPS, and when they tell you to stop scanning, stop, cancel, and move to the next cheap VPS.

3. Scanning itself should be legal almost anywhere. Its a perfectly normal everyday activitiy for IT folks. But since its often connected to more serious, illegal things, a lot of hosters don't allow it.

4. A lot of DSL/Cable ISPs are very careless when it comes to mostly harmless "soft abuse" like portscanns. Have you ever sent an abusemail to an ISP and received an answer? Especially if the ISP was from another country?
      So, depending on your home ISP it might actually be the safest to do it straight from home. (I said might! Think for yourself!)

5. Proxies or VPNs might also work for a limited time.

6. Generally, just look where other grey-area stuff is hosted. "Exotic" countries might work better.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • that_guy said: Its a perfectly normal everyday activitiy for IT folks

Why? What for? For fun?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@jvnadr said:

that_guy said: Its a perfectly normal everyday activitiy for IT folks

Why? What for? For fun?

From my experience it is very common for large businesses to scan all their internal infrastructure for vulnerabilities on a daily basis.

However, port scanning the internet isn't something that should be done unless there is proper justification & ethical consideration: for example, ethics board approval at a university - for academic purposes.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • OP Never stated about port. I think what OP mean is scrapping. since the purpose is to collect website information.

You don't port scan to collect site information, you scrap.

• jackb said: internal infrastructure

Yes but this is a different thing. It's not some random "it guys" port scanning the internet...

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited August 2017

I've done a couple on OVH but got an email for 'unusual network activity', though the scan was practically done by the time I received it. This was just to look for hosting IPs using cpanel (2082,2083). Can't really speak for the legality of it, but perhaps just doing the entire IPv4 space is a bit lazy and irresponsible, as a more considered approach can be done in most cases.

• Better ask OP. @test999 , do you want it for port scanning ?

• @yokowasis said:
    Better ask OP. @test999 , do you want it for port scanning ?

test999 said: Collect some of the site information, may be said to have attacked!

• WSSWSS Member

Yesterday, we had someone asking for an OK to ping flood. Today, we have a portscanner. Tommorrow: Shoes. Again.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • atleast they don't try to sell english kitchens here. But seriously why the fuck there are people out there who can make money with such shit, maybe we should go back to the time when it was hard to use the internet and all that people that fall for this scam can't connect. So the scammers don't have a reason to come here.

• WSSWSS Member

What the fuck is an English Kitchen? Is that like a Dutch Oven?

Thanked by 2AuroraZ Janevski
  • renting a server for scanning gets expensive because most datacenters charge you a lot extra to mount a flatbed & use up 6u of space above it to swing the cover open, plus the remote hands costs for having them place each new page on it add up quick.

It's easier to scan at home IMO

Thanked by 1switsys
  • matteobmatteob Barred
    edited August 2017

@Amitz said:

matteob said: you break some laws

Did the FBI tell you that during the raid that never happened?
    Cite a corresponding law and I shut up and am with you. I can imagine that there are laws against scanning and I understand that a lot of scanning attempts are malicious and not science related, but I still wait to see someone citing a real law from a relevant country.

I will read through this now:
    https://nmap.org/book/legal-issues.html
    Let's see what it says...

//Edit: I am not through yet, but it seems to be more a of a grey zone than something that is explicitely regulated in most countries. ISPs don't like it, server owners don't like it. That's understandable, but does not make it illegal.

So, again: Cite a law from a country with a proper legal system that declares port scanning to be illegal or stop spreading FUD.

if you are ignorant and prefer to fool and attack people thank talk like a civilized don't do bad suggestion. Please limit to fool me BUT STOP GIVE FALSE ADVICE TO PERSONS.

What a tip is "Do this, nobody will report to you..." come on man, are you serious?

Scanning without target explicit permission is not legal except some countries that not had yet the computer crime in their laws, i repeat, feel free to fool me, i'm not interested in your opinion, but not share false tips.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2017

@matteob tone it down a notch mate.

"You're taking this all much too personally. So emotional!"

Thanked by 2alown switsys
  • @Clouvider said:
    @matteob tone it down a notch mate.

You ask me to tone down only because Amitz is a moderator? No matters if every time is offensive to me right? :-)

To have respect you have to GIVE respect

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2017

No, I asked you to tone it down a notch because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about and are starting unnecessary flamewar that only benefits Colocrosing ad revenue ;-).

I understand @Amitz may have hurt you bringing up the 'FBI raid', but it was your fault to play it that unprofessional way before - the milk is already spilled, it's your open spot now. Deal with it.

Apart from that, yeah, in many countries actual scanning IS legal. Scanning in malicious purpose to commit unlawful act is not. I'm not a lawyer, don't take it as a legal advice, everyone should take up their own one, but that's my interpretation of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/18/contents). If you consider otherwise, rather than going into starting aggressive conversation go ahead and bring up relevant legal acts that prohibit it.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • lbftlbft Member

matteob said: To have respect you have to GIVE respect

Respect is earned. Amitz has earned the community's respect. You've repeatedly taken a dump on it instead.

Thanked by 3Clouvider switsys WSS
This discussion has been closed.