Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Fire TV Stick - Block Advertising
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon Fire TV Stick - Block Advertising

Hello together fellow LET members,

I've bought the newest generation of the Amazon Fire TV Stick and got it today. It is the one with the new Alexa remote.

I've set it up and all. Installed quite a few good entertainment apps like YT, Netflix and etc. Some of them have a few annoying ads playing before the actual content. And Youtube has ads generally anyway...

I need some of you Fire TV Stick owners who have some rootless ways to block advertising. Cost doesn't play a role as long as it is reasonable. I have some hardware around in case I may have to build like my own local setup.

Give me ideas and solutions please. Share your knowledge. Thank you :)

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Send it back.

Fuck Bezos.

Thanked by 3GuyP boernd Fusl
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Watch the fucking ads. They’re subsidising your free entertainment, you thoughtless shit-weasel.

• Stick it up your ahole both @WSS and @Nekki. Cunts...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Run pi-hole on a VPS or at home. Tell your stick to use that DNS either static or via DHCP. Problem solved.

Nekki said: Watch the fucking ads. They’re subsidising your free entertainment, you thoughtless shit-weasel.

You must be new here...

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Cartman said:
    Stick it up your ahole both @WSS and @Nekki. Cunts...

You send it to me, I'll stick it up my arse and then take a photo of it up there.

For an extra $10, I'll video myself shitting it back out, too.

• Hey @raindog308

That is one thing I thought about. I have a spare RPi 1 B+ with a WiFi stick and the other stuff. And thankfully my WiFi router has custom DHCP option to pass on custom DNS servers.

I however would like to see if there is a way to do it directly on the device first before setting up such a ad block DNS server.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Cartman said: That is one thing I thought about. I have a spare RPi 1 B+ with a WiFi stick and the other stuff. And thankfully my WiFi router has custom DHCP option to pass on custom DNS servers.

My apologies in advance if I'm insulting your intelligence, but you don't have to run pi-hole on a RPi. I run mine on a VPS.

Cartman said: I however would like to see if there is a way to do it directly on the device first before setting up such a ad block DNS server.

Now if you could root the Fire stick and run pi-hole directly on it...you would be legend.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2017

raindog308 said: Now if you could root the Fire stick and run pi-hole directly on it...you would be legend.

He specifically requested no root though, so even MORE legend lol

You can drop SOME ads (not YT) by pi-hole (and similar obviously, this is nothing special) but if you wait like 8 weeks this is useless also because, as you can guess, advertisers trust Amazon and allow them to delivery from their own infra - bam, pinned SSL on same connection for content and ads. Welcome to Chromecast and Apple TV.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • On TV series on prime all I get is a 30 second ad played before the start, currently it seems to be the one for 'the tick' every time! However it does have a skip option so no biggie really.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@lurch said:
    On TV series on prime all I get is a 30 second ad played before the start, currently it seems to be the one for 'the tick' every time! However it does have a skip option so no biggie really.

The Tick looks as though it'll be amazing.

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:

@lurch said:
    On TV series on prime all I get is a 30 second ad played before the start, currently it seems to be the one for 'the tick' every time! However it does have a skip option so no biggie really.

I hope they get Patrick Warburton to play it again.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@lurch said:

Better, it's Peter Serafinowicz. He's wonderfully deranged.

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@lurch said:

He was great in "Look Around You", but I'm afraid he's typecast as a fat fuck who lost weight.

SPOON!!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@lurch said:

He was great in "Look Around You", but I'm afraid he's typecast as a fat fuck who lost weight.

SPOON!!

Look Around You was amazing, especially series two. The music of the future episode was just about perfect.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited August 2017

@Nekki said:
    Look Around You was amazing, especially series two. The music of the future episode was just about perfect.

I know, right!? The fact they had Simon Quinlank with a beard just made it all the better!

• @raindog308 said:
    My apologies in advance if I'm insulting your intelligence, but you don't have to run pi-hole on a RPi. I run mine on a VPS.

I'm well aware of this but I'd rather host it at home exclusively for a few devices only and for this a Raspberry Pi is probably a cheap solution.

Thanks for your input.

I've been thinking about stuff like DNS66/AdGuard and etc. After all Fire TV is based on Android and I already installed a few APKs on it including Kodi without issues.

Need to play around more and see if any of these ad blockers that work by creating a local VPN with list & DNS filtering will work on the Fire TV.

Google, Reddit and etc suggest a few hints that it may work but there is not so much useful information. Mostly discussions like this one to find out possible working solutions.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited August 2017

With all the time you’ve invested and are going to invest, it’d be quicker to watch the damned ads.

• @Cartman Raspberry Pi with PiHole in your network.

Thanked by 1Cartman
  • The answer lays somewhere on my sofa

Thanked by 1Cartman
  • VPN with adblock dns?

Thanked by 1Cartman
  • CartmanCartman Member
    edited August 2017

Thank you @raindog308 @graphic Ho-ost and @Ympker.

I will just try out the existing rootless Android advertising blockers on trial and if that doesn't work I'll go for the selfhosted Pi-hole solution.

Moderators can close the thread if they see this. Looks like my previous report didn't get through/was possibly ignored.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

Just check if you can really block the ads with the Pi-Hole first. I was running one on a VPS for me and a few redditors up until 2 months ago, and youtube ads were never fully blocked. Not sure why. Still did a great job with every other ad.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@PUSHRcdn said:
    Just check if you can really block the ads with the Pi-Hole first. I was running one on a VPS for me and a few redditors up until 2 months ago, and youtube ads were never fully blocked. Not sure why. Still did a great job with every other ad.

If the ads are injected straight into the video stream -- i.e. there isn't a separate connection out to the ad service -- then I see how that could be an issue and pihole wouldn't really help you there.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why pihole if your router can handle blacklist

• @netomx said:

It cannot. No option for that in it. Neither in the custom firmware I have on it.

@Cartman said:

@netomx said:

It cannot. No option for that in it. Neither in the custom firmware I have on it.

Really? You dont have dnsmasq on the custom firmware?

• @netomx said:
    Really? You dont have dnsmasq on the custom firmware?

Just looked around at the page of it and its wiki but couldn't find any word about dnsmasq.

It does have SSH so I could login and check what it uses for DNS. It's a cheap model though. ASUS RT-AC51U

• WSSWSS Member

@Cartman said:
    It does have SSH so I could login and check what it uses for DNS. It's a cheap model though. ASUS RT-AC51U

https://lede-project.org/toh/hwdata/asus/asus_rt-ac51u

Just install LEDE. Problem solved.

Thanked by 1netomx
    Why have I been blocked?
    This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data.

FUCK YOU, CLOUDFLARE

Use the hosts file from here:

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts