Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any advantages to shared hosting w/ NVME?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there any advantages to shared hosting w/ NVME?

vovlervovler Member
edited August 2017 in General

HDD are way more affordable than NVME, but NVME can give users a better experience. Both to your client as their visitors.

Obviously Cloudlinux would be configured to allow higher IO usage.

Would it be worth it? Would it be something that you personally would like to use?

Thoughts Shared hosting on NVME?
  1. Yay or Nay?45 votes
    1. Yes
      40.00%
    2. No
      20.00%
    3. I dont care about shared hosting
      40.00%

Comments

• Nope

• edited August 2017

Depends on pricing most of the time.

Might also consider if a person is maxing out IO usage from many visitors, the user would probably be looking at VPS/Dedicated hosting rather than better shared hosting.

Also why not regular SSDs?

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited August 2017

IMO for shared hosting, from client point of view, it does not matter. More iops available => provider will put more clients on a single server until is as slow as with hdd-s.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I would say it depends. When serving static files, some ms of HDD access time won't add much latency to the overall user experience. A decent amount of RAM can further cache frequently accessed files. As soon as you are going to have databases with a certain workload, SSD (caching) can definitely improve user experience by minimizing query runtimes. Of course depending on the application, number of queries, etc. I am currently serving 20-100 MySQL queries per second without SSD and response times are still pretty quick. Though most of the queries are SELECTs served from memory cache.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

In a shared hosting environment I can mostly see it as a marketing advantage.

• I personally switch everything to NVMe for shared hosting (having some legacy spinning rust I have to migrate), and I only do it because I get rid of most IO issues - and who doesn't like fast storage :-D

Thanked by 1Clouvider