Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Free/Dirt Cheap VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Free/Dirt Cheap VPS

johnlth93johnlth93 Member
edited July 2013 in Requests

Hi,

I know i know, not that i can't pay a few dolar/month for a VPS. I do have quite some VPS from a lot of providers out there.

But i am now looking for a FREE/DIRT CHEAP VPS primarily for idling usage. I will only play around with it just to increase my knowledge of linux.

I don't need much resources, something as below would be perfectly fine.

Reasonable I/O and CPU speed would be perfect.
RAM < 32MB
Bandwidth < 50GB/month
1 x IPv6
Doesn't require any IPv6 as i don't have native IPv6 (nor i can use HE tunnel due to some issue of ISP)
TUN/TAP enabled would be perfect but still fine if it doesn't.

Any opinion on host1free? I can't seem to get a FREE VPS from them.

I already own both UK/NL @ LES so no need to suggest me about that.

Thanks

Comments

• We have a 256mb KVM for $10/year here: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/shardhost-30year-1024mb-kvm-in-dallas-texas/

But yes, you wish to hold out for a free offer as I know they do exist.

• xsetxset Member

If you already got paid vps with better service why would you need free vps?

• @Jack said:
    Does it need IPv4?

Yes, i will update my post on this.

@ShardHost said:
    We have a 256mb KVM for $10/year here: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/shardhost-30year-1024mb-kvm-in-dallas-texas/

But yes, you wish to hold out for a free offer as I know they do exist.

Thanks for the offer but i will past it for now.

@xset said:
    If you already got paid vps with better service why would you need free vps?

I already explained why.

I do got other VPSs but those are kinda on production mode so i can't really fuck it up and reinstall O/S every MINUTE lol. I am looking for 1 that cost nothing or close to nothing just to play around, fuck it up and reinstall O/S =)

• @Rapta said:
    http://lowendspirit.com/

@johnlth93 said:
    I already own both UK/NL @ LES so no need to suggest me about that.

• You won't get cheaper then LES

• @joodle said:
    You won't get cheaper then LES

Ya true but i just trying to get lucky =)

Anyway do you know about host1free, i heard them from the post on LET awhile ago.

Are there dead? No longer provide that free vps service?

• awsonawson Member

primarily for idling usage. I will only play around with it just to increase my knowledge of linux.

www.virtualbox.org

• @awson said:
    www.virtualbox.org

I had that on my laptop. Did play around with it but i need a VPS because i need the internet connection.

My local internet is just suck ass that it would take more then couple minutes just to apt-get update

Not to mention apt-get install anything over 10MB

• If you only have 32MB of RAM, apt-get may fail as well.

• @sundaymouse said:
    If you only have 32MB of RAM, apt-get may fail as well.

I minimize all my installation (debian) and i got 32MB vps from secureddragon as well. Run perfectly fine.

• awsonawson Member

You could always try using the free EC2 Micro instance for a year, if you're okay with 16GB/out bandwidth a month.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Virrualvm has free vms

• Your looking in the right place

• @Sonwebhost said:
    Your looking in the right place

Amen

• @Sonwebhost said:

This right here is your answer

• awsonawson Member

@Sonwebhost said:

You sure told him.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

Digital Ocean, they have coupon and you can destroy the droplet saving you cash and the planet rather thyean idleing.
    I am selling some @BlueVM credit, would last you 2 months at their $12/year offer 128MB. Maybe they could offer you something smaller to last a bit longer?

• If you really only need 32MB of RAM, I'm willing to bite. PM me and we can hash out a price.

• $7.5/year 64MB VPS?

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited July 2013

@DVPS_Jack you only offer VPS in Kansas right?

@cencerto49 i remember back then you were saying about 32mb in planing, still no go after all? Anyway what is your order link for 64MB. I remember you offer VPS in LA right?

• emgemg Veteran

I had a VPS from Host1Free. It would do what you need, if you can get one. My VPS was lost in the SolusVM attack, and they have not seen fit to restore it. There are at least two threads here in lowendtalk about the recent attack and Host1Free's responses if you are curious.

Despite the many things I did to help them in their forums, they just told me that they will not restore the VPS for me, and I must wait at least two months and then reapply again, with the same chances of getting a free VPS as anyone else. If you are interested in a VPS from Host1Free, your likelihood of getting one is zero in the next two months, and fairly low after that.

If you want to increase your knowledge of linux, why not run a virtual machine on your home computer? You could run it in VirtualBox or in VMware Player, both free. Linux is free, of course.

• @johnlth93 as of now yes. Our next expansion will be into either Dallas or Atlanta, but it's a few months out.

• Thanks for all the replies, very appreciated.

I decided to take 1 of the 64mb plan from @concerto49 for now.

• yywudiyywudi Member

check it here http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/298441
    someone got the free vps

• @johnlth93 great thanks!

• You know I was away to see this yesterday but I figured in the spirit of this post, if you or anyone wants a 256MB KVM for 15.00 a year I have created a coupon code for 3 people to get one.

Coupon Code: 3FOR15AYEAR - $15.00 annually - 256MB Ram

• jcalebjcaleb Member

virtualbox

• Sorry I have a question, when I buy a vps on LES, it is coming with a private IPv4 or a shared IPv4??

This discussion has been closed.