Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Radix 10 year .tech registration: $40.
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Radix 10 year .tech registration: $40.

WSSWSS Member
edited August 17 in Domains

This is a Neowin promo, which means it may or may not completely suck, but you can get the elusive .tech for $39.99 for 10 years. I think it needs to be a new domain, but I haven't actually bought a coupon to try to use with my own .tech that will be going away next year otherwise..

$3 for 1 year, $25 for 5 years, $40 for 10 years .tech registration

Thanked by 3Aidan AlanDS MasonR

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Also, if you register an email address, you can get 10% off your first order. TempMail works great for this, pre-registration.

• Bought one a few months ago with the same coupon, unfortunately it can't be used to renew an existing domain registered with Radix.

Jr System Administrator

• WSSWSS Member

@HyperSpeed said: Bought one a few months ago with the same coupon, unfortunately it can't be used to renew an existing domain registered with Radix.

I wonder if it works for transfer.. I'm not tied to my current .tech, but if I can't migrate it, I just don't want it. Suppose I should fire off an email.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Provider

Yeh, I got mine a few months back too. :P

• AlanDSAlanDS Member

Thanks... Grabbed one for 36 USD

• WSSWSS Member
    edited August 18

Note that if you opt-out of the privacy (It's a ripoff at $80/10 years), you still get 30 days free. That should be long enough to transfer it to another registrar, if you so choose. This may not work. I used an encoded email address for my registration and had to change to a secondary so I could get the site setup- at which point they put a 60 day lock on the domain.

Fuckers.

• @WSS said: Note that if you opt-out of the privacy (It's a ripoff at $80/10 years), you still get 30 days free. That should be long enough to transfer it to another registrar, if you so choose. This may not work. I used an encoded email address for my registration and had to change to a secondary so I could get the site setup- at which point they put a 60 day lock on the domain.

Fuckers.

The 60 day lock is an ICANN thing and applies to a lot of TLDs. It wouldn't have mattered anyway, since you can't register a domain for more than 10 years. You have to wait a year and then transfer, since transferring adds a year. I went through this a couple of months ago with this same promotion.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited August 19

@jrsmith said: The 60 day lock is an ICANN thing and applies to a lot of TLDs. It wouldn't have mattered anyway, since you can't register a domain for more than 10 years. You have to wait a year and then transfer, since transferring adds a year. I went through this a couple of months ago with this same promotion.

I checked whois, and didn't get locked until I changed my email address.

I'm pretty sure I could migrate to Porkbun and keep my 10 year registration otherwise, until it was locked for a year expense.

I realize what is required by ICANN (including their fees), but I can't see any reason why I was/would have been locked as there was nothing on deligation/public record until then.

• @WSS said:

@jrsmith said: The 60 day lock is an ICANN thing and applies to a lot of TLDs. It wouldn't have mattered anyway, since you can't register a domain for more than 10 years. You have to wait a year and then transfer, since transferring adds a year. I went through this a couple of months ago with this same promotion.

I checked whois, and didn't get locked until I changed my email address.

I'm pretty sure I could migrate to Porkbun and keep my 10 year registration otherwise, until it was locked for a year expense.

I realize what is required by ICANN (including their fees), but I can't see any reason why I was/would have been locked as there was nothing on deligation/public record until then.

Contact change does trigger the 60 day lock, yes. But like I said, the 10 year max would have stopped you anyway. From Porkbun support, when I tried to do this exact thing:

We can't transfer it in. It took some digging, but we figured out why: since domains may only have a maximum of ten years of registration and all transfers add an additional year of registration, and your domain has nine years of registration, a renewal would put you above ten years of registration, which is against ICANN rules. I believe all registries work this way. We tried to see if they allow transfers with a renewal duration of 0 years, and it doesn't work. As such, this domain is ineligible for transfer to us until June 9, 2018. Sorry I didn't catch this the first time.

Thanked by 2WSS Makenai
  • WSSWSS Member

@jrsmith said: Contact change does trigger the 60 day lock, yes. But like I said, the 10 year max would have stopped you anyway. From Porkbun support, when I tried to do this exact thing:

We can't transfer it in. It took some digging, but we figured out why: since domains may only have a maximum of ten years of registration and all transfers add an additional year of registration, and your domain has nine years of registration, a renewal would put you above ten years of registration, which is against ICANN rules. I believe all registries work this way. We tried to see if they allow transfers with a renewal duration of 0 years, and it doesn't work. As such, this domain is ineligible for transfer to us until June 9, 2018. Sorry I didn't catch this the first time.

Well, fuck.

Hello to Ross!

• williewillie Member

Is Neowin any good? I have a .tech domain that I rather like, but renewal at the usual places is kind of expensive. I'll be interested to find out whether transferring it to Neowin under this deal ($25 for 5 years is fine, because of the 10 year limit) is possible.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited August 19

@willie said: Is Neowin any good? I have a .tech domain that I rather like, but renewal at the usual places is kind of expensive. I'll be interested to find out whether transferring it to Neowin under this deal ($25 for 5 years is fine, because of the 10 year limit) is possible.

Neowin "specials" are basically just a shitty groupon. It looks like the coupon is only good for a new registration- I couldn't transfer my old domain, so I decided upon a newer, nerdier one.

• williewillie Member

How the heck do they do that, given the registry costs? It looks like an enormous giveaway. Could they have made some deal with the registry?

• WSSWSS Member

They fuck you for privacy, as mentioned above. $36/$40 turns into $120 quickly.

• So would it be better to take advantage of the five year offer, and then transfer it out within thirty days? If so, who offers the cheapest transfer fees with free who is privacy?

• williewillie Member

WSS said: They fuck you for privacy, as mentioned above

I could imagine living with that for a while. Just buy the 5 years then transfer out. But it sounds like it's new domains only, and I want to renew an existing one. Sigh.

• WSSWSS Member

Yeah. Well, it's still cheaper to edit your zone and restart than to pay $30+/yr for the damn thing, isn't it?

• I got caught on that Whois crap. Got the coupon and went to the shopping cart and was trying to figure out why a free coupon would cost me $40/5yrs. Hate forced upsell shit like that.

Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?

• WSSWSS Member

You can register your account with your NameSolo privacy and email- which is automagically forwarded to your tied email account. I didn't know that so I ended up changing it to a legit email address, and now have to wait before I can change it back.

• edited August 20

@WSS (Sorry for the recent deluge of pings here.) I checked out NameSolo and they look good, $15.99 for .tech transfers. I'd prefer to have a nameserver that handled SSHFP like 1984 does, but I'd rather not go to Google Domains. I'll do some more deeper research later but that looks like a good registrar to handle things. (And yes, I'll probably just spin up a couple of TinyKVM nodes or ProviderService and set up my own DNS servers with Unbound and do the record keeping myself, may be the cheapest way.) I've been through Gandi, GoogleDomains and NameCheap, but I just terminated all services with NameCheap so I'm moving my domains out from them.

• WSSWSS Member

@SonOfAMotherlessGoat said: @WSS (Sorry for the recent deluge of pings here.) I checked out NameSolo and they look good, $15.99 for .tech transfers. I'd prefer to have a nameserver that handled SSHFP like 1984 does, but I'd rather not go to Google Domains. I'll do some more deeper research later but that looks like a good registrar to handle things. (And yes, I'll probably just spin up a couple of TinyKVM nodes or ProviderService and set up my own DNS servers with Unbound and do the record keeping myself, may be the cheapest way.) I've been through Gandi, GoogleDomains and NameCheap, but I just terminated all services with NameCheap so I'm moving my domains out from them.

Well, OK?

I don't have others handle my DNS, either.

• MasonRMasonR Member

You guys talking about NameSilo? Couldn't find anything on a company called NameSolo.

Interested in snagging a .tech domain, but only if the whois privacy price is reasonable.

PLEXiDRIVE: Plex+GoogleDrive | Server Status | Insufferable, cheap, son-of-a-yeti fuck™

• WSSWSS Member

@MasonR said: You guys talking about NameSilo? Couldn't find anything on a company called NameSolo.

Interested in snagging a .tech domain, but only if the whois privacy price is reasonable.

NameSolo. You can only go there once.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • WSSWSS Member

@MasonR said: You guys talking about NameSilo? Couldn't find anything on a company called NameSolo.

$40 with the coupon for 10 years, but an additional $80 for privacy for those ten. I suppose you could always get a 5 year and migrate. As mentioned above, if you have a personal privacy configuration already existing, you can reuse that.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • @WSS said: As mentioned above, if you have a personal privacy configuration already existing, you can reuse that.

You just steal the whois info for another domain of yours registered with NameSilo?

Cheap, Dedicated CPU, Unmetered KVM for $3.50/mo - US (Vegas, NYC) & EU (Luxembourg)
    (yes that's an affiliate link)

• WSSWSS Member

@Harambe said:

@WSS said: As mentioned above, if you have a personal privacy configuration already existing, you can reuse that.

You just steal the whois info for another domain of yours registered with NameSilo?

Nnnnnn...yes?

Thanked by 3Makenai Harambe MasonR
  • @WSS said:

Nnnnnn...yes?

Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Hit post before I realized how stupid that question was.

Cheap, Dedicated CPU, Unmetered KVM for $3.50/mo - US (Vegas, NYC) & EU (Luxembourg)

• WSSWSS Member

As long as it goes to your valid, accepted email address (and physical mail can be forwarded), it seems to be perfectly fine. If you fill it with bullshit, you're going to lose $40.

• Stupid question, but are there services that handle whois privacy without needing to transfer the domain to their registrar? I've done a lot of googling, but can't seem to find out if there's regulations that require Whois Privacy to be implemented only at the registrar level.

• WSSWSS Member

If there are, it wouldn't help. Nobody cared 20 years ago, but now- the moment you register/migrate, there are companies who take a snapshot of that data just because someone is willing to pay them for that information.

Going private after public registration is only going to create another record these days.

• edited August 20

Good point, the Radix free lasts for 30 days, but it looks like I'm transfer locked for 60 days. So basically I'm tilting at windmills at this point?

And that's for the really helpful advice, I appreciate it a lot!

• WSSWSS Member

Didn't you fucking read the entire thread? If not, that's on you.

• Yeah, to quote a recent thread, "I'm a fucktard."

• WSSWSS Member

Fucktards aren't all bad. Without them, we'd just have fucktards that aren't self-aware.e

Just change your email to a less-publicized address that you can kill, and wait it out.

• It was registered with a mailbox.org temporary account email that goes to my main, but the temporary can be extended for as long as I need it. So that's covered. Just need to figure out the postal address part. Have a dummy LLC that I guess I can put in that has no personal info on the filing papers. I'll figure it out somehow, and stop being a cheap ass and just send it to Gandi when the transfer window opens.

• RodneyRodney Member

Unfortunately I couldn't quite get the domain I wanted, they had some other good suggestions though

Thanked by 1WSS
  • williewillie Member

SonOfAMotherlessGoat said: I checked out NameSolo and they look good, $15.99 for .tech transfers.

If you mean Namesilo, they show $39.99 now.

• @willie said:

SonOfAMotherlessGoat said: I checked out NameSolo and they look good, $15.99 for .tech transfers.

If you mean Namesilo, they show $39.99 now.

There's actually a NameSolo and I was mistaken, they were only doing .technology not .tech transfers. Still checking out Gandi but have to wait the requisite 60 days. I'll just change the info on Radix to anonymized info for now. But thanks for the heads up.

• snzsnz Member

Does anybody know if this works on "premium" names?

• MasonRMasonR Member

@snz said: Does anybody know if this works on "premium" names?

No way, Jose

PLEXiDRIVE: Plex+GoogleDrive | Server Status | Insufferable, cheap, son-of-a-yeti fuck™

• AmitzAmitz Moderator

@snz said: Does anybody know if this works on "premium" names?

No, it doesn't.

• WSSWSS Member

Take note of what they set your MX to if you decide to buy one of these. Having to dig through their shiterface to find the initial nameservers (that they don't disable when you migrate away, which is a great idea) to query your MX is a bit of a pain in the ass just to setup some forwards for a vanity domain.

• Not sure if this is a fake scarcity thing or not, but the deal is listed as ending in 5 hours. Just got around to buying one and noticed that.

Thanked by 1willie
  • WSSWSS Member

@Harambe said: Not sure if this is a fake scarcity thing or not, but the deal is listed as ending in 5 hours. Just got around to buying one and noticed that.

It's bullshit.

data-ends-at="2018-01-01T07:59:00Z"
  • HarambeHarambe Member
    edited September 3

@WSS said:

@Harambe said: Not sure if this is a fake scarcity thing or not, but the deal is listed as ending in 5 hours. Just got around to buying one and noticed that.

It's bullshit.

Dammit, I got swindled. Either way, still a good deal.

• WSSWSS Member

@Harambe said:

@WSS said:

It's bullshit.

Dammit, I got swindled. Either way, still a good deal.

Agreed. Sadly, they try to hit you with the Privacy registration. You do get a free month of privacy, but you only get one chance to go ahead and modify any information you want for the next 60 days. I would go ahead and point it to whatever existing privacy registration you have, including the email address.

I really don't like their system. I'll probably eventually move it over to Porkbun, but I don't see paying the same amount for 1 year (versus 10) as being great. I'll wait for a special.

• @WSS said:

Agreed. Sadly, they try to hit you with the Privacy registration. You do get a free month of privacy, but you only get one chance to go ahead and modify any information you want for the next 60 days. I would go ahead and point it to whatever existing privacy registration you have, including the email address.

I really don't like their system. I'll probably eventually move it over to Porkbun, but I don't see paying the same amount for 1 year (versus 10) as being great. I'll wait for a special.

I did what you mentioned and copied some info from another NameSilo domain. However, you gotta make sure you login to your domain panel and modify the contact settings right after purchase.

I entered my real info to create the account, then updated the domain contact on checkout (added a new contact). Thankfully I logged in to look at the domain contact info because it only changed the Registrant contact - the admin + tech + billing were all my real info.

None of it should have leaked though because they do the 30 day free trial on whois privacy.

• WSSWSS Member

@Harambe said: None of it should have leaked though because they do the 30 day free trial on whois privacy.

Sure, but after I edited mine, it locked for 60 days. :)

• @WSS said:

@Harambe said: None of it should have leaked though because they do the 30 day free trial on whois privacy.

Sure, but after I edited mine, it locked for 60 days. :)

Just wanted to give a heads up if no one saw that. Mine doesn't appear to be locked but it's all showing the correct info so not going to play with it any further :P