Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Windows Server should I use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Windows Server should I use?

SamuelSamuel Member

Not having any experience with Windows Servers so far (only Linux), I still want to get my feed wet with a small Windows box (Burst or sth.) - what Windows Server version is using the least resources aka makes most sense to use on a small VPS? With 2003 2008 and 2012 versions being out there, which one do you use / recommend to use? My gut would have said 2003 for least memory (most often old versions have least memory usage), but I was reading Core RAM usage in 2008 is lower? Not sure about that, the source wasn't a reputable source..

Anyway, so hope somebody can help me get some clarity :)

Cheers!!

Comments

• Use 2008 R2 if you can. It's based on windows 7 core. Regular 08 is vista. And we all know how vista was.

• SamuelSamuel Member

right, I haven't mentioned I was trying to find out of 2003 r2 or 2008 r2 or 2012 - never considered the "standard 2003/2008) :) - anybody got experience how those run on a LEB Windows VPS?

• My 2008 R2 runs on a 600MB/~1GHz processor fine

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We had good experience with 512 MB ram too.

• I actually like 512MB with Windows. I have tried 2012 and 2008R2 when I was making KVM templates and both of them performed well for anything I threw at it for basic tests.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, me and erawan even did virtualbox/vmware inside with other programs running.

Just make sure you have no hogging memory services and you should be fine.

2008 r2 is a good one.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • I would also use 2008 r2