Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner vServer performance deteriorating?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner vServer performance deteriorating?

littleguylittleguy Member
edited July 2013 in Providers

We're seeing some worrying trends on our vServers - the I/O wait time for hard drives has been through the roof for the past couple of months.

Just logging in to SSH can take up to 60 seconds, and by the time you are in the load on the server is ~0.8. (Just from logging in.)

As soon as there is any disk activity, the I/O latency jumps to insane numbers, here's a shot from ioping taken a few days ago:

... 4096 bytes from /dev/sda (device 40.0 Gb): request=16 time=281.6 ms 4096 bytes from /dev/sda (device 40.0 Gb): request=17 time=2988.4 ms 4096 bytes from /dev/sda (device 40.0 Gb): request=18 time=4093.6 ms 4096 bytes from /dev/sda (device 40.0 Gb): request=19 time=4307.4 ms 4096 bytes from /dev/sda (device 40.0 Gb): request=20 time=1547.1 ms 4096 bytes from /dev/sda (device 40.0 Gb): request=21 time=412.9 ms 4096 bytes from /dev/sda (device 40.0 Gb): request=22 time=198.1 ms ...

The worst thing is that when we reached out to Hetzner with this they accused us of causing excessive load and threatened that we would be I/O throttled. (We've been with hetzner for over two years, only hosting low volume business web sites.)

Has anyone had similar experiences with Hetzner, and does anyone know their refund policy? Regardless of that, we won't be renewing our vServer contracts for another year once our current term is up.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I never had a VPS from hetzner or anyone i heard of, however, in the dedi business they are doing quite well.

From what you posted above I feel you were already throttled, at 4 s a ping the vps should be unusable. 60 seconds ssh login seems to confirm that theory.

• Yeah, we've reached out to their support again.

If you can't even host low-volume web sites on their servers, what can they be used for?

Also, their dedicated aren't nearly as cheap as you would think once you factor in stuff like out of band management console. (Which costs an additional 34 EUR/month, over half the cost of a EX40 server.)

• ZettaZetta Member

@littleguy said:
    they accused us of causing excessive load and threatened that we would be I/O throttled. (We've been with hetzner for over two years, only hosting low volume business web sites.)

Time to leave and find a new host.