Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone get Ubuntu 13.04 to boot on a KVM VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone get Ubuntu 13.04 to boot on a KVM VPS?

If so, how did you do it? I installed it my 256MB KVM VPS with no errors, but upon boot it stalls at various points. I remember one of these points being when it tries to enable network configuration. I think another point is when it tries to read/load the main partition. I've tried booting using either Intel PRO/1000 or VIRTIO as network driver.

Ubuntu 12.10 installs and boots fine.

Comments

• I did not face any problem with ubuntu 13.04, did installing process as usual.

• awsonawson Member

I've had issues a few times upgrading from 12.04/12.10 to 13.04 on KVM; no idea what the problem is.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Ubuntu 13.04 on a KVM Works fine for us.

• What exact errors are you getting? Where does it stall? Can you boot into the recovery mode and check /var/log/syslog?

Thanked by 1Rapidwire
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Installs fine via the ISO + the template from Solus, for us as well.

Change the disk driver to IDE and try, this was something odd I've noticed from time to time in Debian 7 (maybe related??)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@AlexanderM said:
    Ubuntu 13.04 on a KVM Works fine for us.

Same, quite a few customers use it.

• fapvpsfapvps Member

No problems here with it.

• RapidwireRapidwire Member
    edited July 2013

Alright, I think the problem was with my VNC connection always stalling while booting. Note that I VNC into a different IP (given to my be my provider), probably one for the host machine.

So, the system was probably booting fine, but my view through VNC was always showing no output after a certain point in time, like when it was reading my main partition or loading a service. Even if I disconnected and reconnected VNC, I got the same screen. This made me think the system boot was stalled.

This last time I re-installed the OS but with an SSH server already intact (by choosing the applicable installation option). When the VNC view showed no progress (this time after the "Uncomplicated firewall" service start message), I tried to SSH into the system, and it worked! SSH is all I really care about, so I'm satisfied at this point.

Thanks mpkossen for inspiring me to give this another go. And thanks to everyone else for telling me about their experiences.