Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phone Suggestion | Xiaomi Redmin Note 4x | Asus zenfone 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Phone Suggestion | Xiaomi Redmin Note 4x | Asus zenfone 2

Comments

• sibapersibaper Member
    edited August 2017

I'll stay far away from these intel chipset, too hot for daily usage

for redmi note 4 I'll take the snapdragon one and install xiaomi.eu ROM or LineageOS

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @sibaper said:

for redmi note 4 I'll take the snapdragon one and install xiaomi.eu ROM or LineageOS

okay thanx for the tip....Will take that into consideration

• 1+ xiaomi Redmi note 4x Snapdragon

• Why the snapdragon variant? The MediaTek x20 is faster than the snapdragon chip.

• @Dextronox said:
    Why the snapdragon variant? The MediaTek x20 is faster than the snapdragon chip.

Snap has more custom rom than MTK

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Dextronox said:
    Why the snapdragon variant? The MediaTek x20 is faster than the snapdragon chip.

are you using benchmark tool to do comparison? I hate when using benchmark tool since they might cheating.

for my daily usage snapdragon chipset and Zenfone 2 (which already died) more than enough, my friend had mediatek varian didn't notice any differences (browsing, email, youtube some game).

• edited August 2017

@sibaper said:

@Dextronox said:

are you using benchmark tool to do comparison? I hate when using benchmark tool since they might cheating.

for my daily usage snapdragon chipset and Zenfone 2 (which already died) more than enough, my friend had mediatek varian didn't notice any differences (browsing, email, youtube some game).

I just ordered a Note 4 x20 variant (I believe it is called the 'China' version) last week and am still waiting for it to arrive. However, all the sites I looked at showed that the MediaTek variant was noticeably faster in synthetic benchmarks.

• There are actually new RedMi Note 4X Snapdragon 625 version with 4GB ram and 64GB rom in light blue color, available on jd.com: https://item.jd.com/4325123.html.

JD.com claim they can ship globally, and displaying stock available for the United States. But JD.com has only Chinese site. If you are familiar with Chinese, this one is a good choice :)

• @Dextronox said:

I just heard from one guy that x20 has a heating issue :-(

other than that no problem

• Redmi Note 4X have a Snapdragon 625, same processor with Zenfone 3, but Xiaomi price is almost half Asus Zenfone 3 :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

I had the Zenfone 2 for about a year. Overall experience was meh. Got it because I thought the Intel chipset would be great, but was disappointed. Phone ran hot and thus battery life was pretty terrible. The first one crapped out on me ("screen tearing" issue on boot) which was replaced under warranty without too many issues. Second one has other issues such as barely holding the sim card in place among other problems.

Haven't had any experiences with Xiaomi, so I can't advise there. But I'd recommend staying away from the mobile Intel chipset until they get their shit together.

• noamannoaman Member
    edited August 2017

@MasonR said:
    I had the Zenfone 2 for about a year. Overall experience was meh. Got it because I thought the Intel chipset would be great, but was disappointed. Phone ran hot and thus battery life was pretty terrible. The first one crapped out on me ("screen tearing" issue on boot) which was replaced under warranty without too many issues. Second one has other issues such as barely holding the sim card in place among other problems.

Haven't had any experiences with Xiaomi, so I can't advise there. But I'd recommend staying away from the mobile Intel chipset until they get their shit together.

Thanx man Will definitely stay away from it

@sentarum said:
    Redmi Note 4X have a Snapdragon 625, same processor with Zenfone 3, but Xiaomi price is almost half Asus Zenfone 3 :)

+1 For that

Besides I am NOT going to go for intel chipset now its either snapdragon or mtk

and will be preferring snapdragon as my lg optimus g was snapdragon and it worked liked a charm

@sibaper said:

They have started rolling out Android Nougat OTA Update on it....Well thas a great plus :-)

• These still aren't USB-C?

• @Damian said:
    These still aren't USB-C?

All hail lightning

• I have the ol' Redmi Note 4 (without 'x') and it's excellent! Cam is good enough and battery, oh boy, lasts ages. 64Gb on board. It's fast enough too for me (non-gamer).

On the 'bad' side: The 4100mAh battery takes time to charge.

• I'm the proud owner of Xioami Redmi Note 4X, since few months. I immediately fell in love with MIUI. It is simply great. It has tons of features and is really snappy. For example app blocking with fingerprint. We all know that there are apps on Google Play which theoretically they do the same thing, but in reality they are shit (leaks, clearances). App blocking in MIUI is built-in and it works like a charm. Another thing: themes. MIUI is highly customizable with themes. They not only change wallpaper, but also icons, widgets and status bar. You also probably heared of second space, which allows you to have a separate user/workspace, but you might not hear about app cloning. It allows you to have two same apps simultaneously and you can be logged in with different account on each.

Dextronox said: I just ordered a Note 4 x20 variant (I believe it is called the 'China' version) last week and am still waiting for it to arrive. However, all the sites I looked at showed that the MediaTek variant was noticeably faster in synthetic benchmarks.

MediaTek and Qualcomm [Snnapdragon] SoCs are like AMD and Intel. MediaTek being AMD and Qualcomm being Intel.
    MediaTek wins in synthetic benchmarks, due to high core number. However in real world use Snapdragon wins. Most noticeably by low power consumption, which directly translates to battery life. Snapdragon version is also more widley supported by developers. For comparison on xda forums MediaTek version has two forum pages with ROMs, meanwhile Snapdragon has 5 pages. Yet another real life thing: xiaomi.eu released their first MIUI 9 build for MI6, MI5X and... HMNote4X. On top of that MediaTek SoCs tended to have problems with GPS fix. When your phone arrives, be sure to check it.

Discalimer: Don't buy from sellers on Aliexpress that you don't know! Some sellers can sell you a refurbished phone as new. If the phone was previously used, you might also have problems with Xiaomi account (it's iCloud-ish. You probably can format the phone and skip Xiaomi account login, but you will lose Mi Cloud synhronization and moreover you won't be able to request bootloader unlock [only if you prhone didn't come already with unlocked bootloader]). Goldway can be trusted. However I suggest to buy from ibuygou.com or eventually gearbest.com.

Here is also a qoute I send to my friend about MIUI branches.

MIUI has pretty wicked branches. Xiaomi makes two versions of MIUI - Chinese and Global (which has gapps and no chinese apps). They of course prioritize the Chinese version. Normally you would think that the rest of the world (including devs) uses Global version. ...which is not true. Global versions are usually kinda outdated and don't even have Google Play certification. The only one European distributor, ABC Data uses xiaomi.eu MIUI - community driven fork of Chinese MIUI, which is usually up to date, has more useful functions, better translation (not even a single Chinese character in the system) and even has Google Play certification and Xiaomi is OK with that. Weirdly enough you can buy phone with official Global version only in China.

You might think now that Global version sucks, but it really don't. I'm actually using it since I got my phone and it's doing really good. Polish translation is good too. I only encountered one chinese word in a hidden diagnostics menu. Not having a Google Play certification isn't a problem too.

Here is a visualisation xD https://i.mrpsycho.pl/selif/9yuviy0x.png

• Wait for Xiaomi 5x. Better than these two. Also buy from your local store you'll get warranty

• Zenfone2 is speedy but I've had a lot of issues with it.
    Typing from it

• @TheKiller said:
    Wait for Xiaomi 5x. Better than these two.

It's out in China, I saw the ads a few days ago. For the 'better' you may note that it has no LTE Band 20 - the Note 4x has Band 20. Battery is also just around 3000mAh, Note 4x' is 4100mAh. So the 5x is worse in some specs.

https://www.mi.com/mi5x/specs/

• @MrPsycho said:
    I'm the proud owner of Xioami Redmi Note 4X, since few months. I immediately fell in love with MIUI. It is simply great. It has tons of features and is really snappy. For example app blocking with fingerprint. We all know that there are apps on Google Play which theoretically they do the same thing, but in reality they are shit (leaks, clearances). App blocking in MIUI is built-in and it works like a charm. Another thing: themes. MIUI is highly customizable with themes. They not only change wallpaper, but also icons, widgets and status bar. You also probably heared of second space, which allows you to have a separate user/workspace, but you might not hear about app cloning. It allows you to have two same apps simultaneously and you can be logged in with different account on each.

Dextronox said: I just ordered a Note 4 x20 variant (I believe it is called the 'China' version) last week and am still waiting for it to arrive. However, all the sites I looked at showed that the MediaTek variant was noticeably faster in synthetic benchmarks.

MediaTek and Qualcomm [Snnapdragon] SoCs are like AMD and Intel. MediaTek being AMD and Qualcomm being Intel.
    MediaTek wins in synthetic benchmarks, due to high core number. However in real world use Snapdragon wins. Most noticeably by low power consumption, which directly translates to battery life. Snapdragon version is also more widley supported by developers. For comparison on xda forums MediaTek version has two forum pages with ROMs, meanwhile Snapdragon has 5 pages. Yet another real life thing: xiaomi.eu released their first MIUI 9 build for MI6, MI5X and... HMNote4X. On top of that MediaTek SoCs tended to have problems with GPS fix. When your phone arrives, be sure to check it.

Discalimer: Don't buy from sellers on Aliexpress that you don't know! Some sellers can sell you a refurbished phone as new. If the phone was previously used, you might also have problems with Xiaomi account (it's iCloud-ish. You probably can format the phone and skip Xiaomi account login, but you will lose Mi Cloud synhronization and moreover you won't be able to request bootloader unlock [only if you prhone didn't come already with unlocked bootloader]). Goldway can be trusted. However I suggest to buy from ibuygou.com or eventually gearbest.com.

Here is also a qoute I send to my friend about MIUI branches.

MIUI has pretty wicked branches. Xiaomi makes two versions of MIUI - Chinese and Global (which has gapps and no chinese apps). They of course prioritize the Chinese version. Normally you would think that the rest of the world (including devs) uses Global version. ...which is not true. Global versions are usually kinda outdated and don't even have Google Play certification. The only one European distributor, ABC Data uses xiaomi.eu MIUI - community driven fork of Chinese MIUI, which is usually up to date, has more useful functions, better translation (not even a single Chinese character in the system) and even has Google Play certification and Xiaomi is OK with that. Weirdly enough you can buy phone with official Global version only in China.

You might think now that Global version sucks, but it really don't. I'm actually using it since I got my phone and it's doing really good. Polish translation is good too. I only encountered one chinese word in a hidden diagnostics menu. Not having a Google Play certification isn't a problem too.

Here is a visualisation xD https://i.mrpsycho.pl/selif/9yuviy0x.png

Thanx for such an indepth analysis

@dergelbe said:

@TheKiller said:
    Wait for Xiaomi 5x. Better than these two.

It's out in China, I saw the ads a few days ago. For the 'better' you may note that it has no LTE Band 20 - the Note 4x has Band 20. Battery is also just around 3000mAh, Note 4x' is 4100mAh. So the 5x is worse in some specs.

https://www.mi.com/mi5x/specs/

That right Note 4x is better in my option

• I'll go with xiaomi Redmi note 4x Snapdragon instead ASUS. :)

• @24x7servermanagement said:
    I'll go with xiaomi Redmi note 4x Snapdragon instead ASUS. :)

I don't want to start a new conflict here, the 4x is certainly great, but Lenovo announced they will use Google Android in the future. That is certainly worth a look (if they have lower price models).

I mean, the Xiaomi/Redmi Android flavor works, but I would certainly prefer an OS with no Chinese de_improvements_.

• I've had the Note 3 pro on the Global rom for quite some time now, and it's been pretty bulletproof. I lasted about 2 days on the Xiaomi launcher though, before I replaced it with Nova.

• @dergelbe said:

@24x7servermanagement said:

I don't want to start a new conflict here, the 4x is certainly great, but Lenovo announced they will use Google Android in the future. That is certainly worth a look (if they have lower price models).

I mean, the Xiaomi/Redmi Android flavor works, but I would certainly prefer an OS with no Chinese de_improvements_.

use xiaomi.eu ROM or lineageos, there's no proof Lenovo will keep their word or update ROM after few years like xiaomi do.

• noaman said: Thanx for such an indepth analysis

There is a "Thanks" button for that. Initially I wanted to keep it short, but as you can see I failed. LOL

dergelbe said: Lenovo announced they will use Google Android in the future. That is certainly worth a look (if they have lower price models).

They just semi-officially said that they don't make enough money to pay dev team to keep their shit up-to-date. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Can you imagine Samsung Galaxy S8 without "Samsung Experience" aka new TouchWiz? I can't. Stock Android is just "good enough". There has to be some distinguish between phones, because without that they would be "just another generic phones".

Xiaomi does a great job with updating their phones. Here is xiaomi.eu branch list of Xiaomi devices that will get update to MIUI 9, which I remind you is still in beta:

As you can see only five phones are in "End of Life" stage. All of them are from 2014 or January 2015.

My Redmi Note 4X using global branch just got update to Android 7.0:

Image adjusted for LET Vanilla. Raw screenshot here.

...and here is the thing: I see no difference. Maybe it's a bit snappier, but that might be as well a placebo effect. With MIUI it's more about MIUI updates itself, than Android updates.

• @MrPsycho said:

noaman said: Thanx for such an indepth analysis

There is a "Thanks" button for that. Initially I wanted to keep it short, but as you can see I failed. LOL

dergelbe said: Lenovo announced they will use Google Android in the future. That is certainly worth a look (if they have lower price models).

They just semi-officially said that they don't make enough money to pay dev team to keep their shit up-to-date. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Can you imagine Samsung Galaxy S8 without "Samsung Experience" aka new TouchWiz? I can't. Stock Android is just "good enough". There has to be some distinguish between phones, because without that they would be "just another generic phones".

Xiaomi does a great job with updating their phones. Here is xiaomi.eu branch list of Xiaomi devices that will get update to MIUI 9, which I remind you is still in beta:

As you can see only five phones are in "End of Life" stage. All of them are from 2014 or January 2015.

My Redmi Note 4X using global branch just got update to Android 7.0:

Image adjusted for LET Vanilla. Raw screenshot here.

...and here is the thing: I see no difference. Maybe it's a bit snappier, but that might be as well a placebo effect. With MIUI it's more about MIUI updates itself, than Android updates.

Hitting Thanx buttons <<<<<< Appreciating some one help by writing thanx in comment

And

I just ordered from aliexpress

32 GB Version

Lets hope that every thing works out fine

@dergelbe said:

@24x7servermanagement said:

Lenovo Phones are good some of my friends have used it but xiaomi is better

imo

Lenovo Laptops are good as I have used them but not phones

• dergelbe said: I mean, the Xiaomi/Redmi Android flavor works, but I would certainly prefer an OS with no Chinese de_improvements_.

Oh. I missed this.
    Xiaomi.eu claims that in their MIUI fork there is not a single chinese character in the whole OS. I'm using Xioami Global branch and I can confirm that Xioami don't give a fsck about international users. I've found only one Chinese word so far ... in a hidden diagnostic menu, which was patched with my second OTA update.

From what you are saying I can deduce that you have never used MIUI. I can get why you have such predictions, but well... I just dispelled your doubts.

PS. Both global and xiaomi.eu versions have Google integration just like any other phone.

noaman said: I just ordered from aliexpress

32 GB Version

Good choice. I also have 3GB|32GB version. I find 4GB|64GB version to be kinda useless/not worth. I mean... You still get the same SoC! It won't make your phone anyhow faster. All your thirteen applications will open in the same time on both versions. Maybe with the exception that your fourteenth app will open a bit faster on 4GB version. In my opinion 4|64GB version just makes your e-penis longer, nothing else.

• @MrPsycho said:

dergelbe said: I mean, the Xiaomi/Redmi Android flavor works, but I would certainly prefer an OS with no Chinese de_improvements_.

Oh. I missed this.
    Xiaomi.eu claims that in their MIUI fork there is not a single chinese character in the

You didn't get it. I have no problem with Chinese characters, they are basically 没问题. But I like to avoid is the Chinese logic doing things. Google Android is a good system, to put something in front of it creates seldom a higher user satisfaction.

From that angle MIUI is OK, I doubt many would miss it though.

• @MrPsycho said:

dergelbe said: I mean, the Xiaomi/Redmi Android flavor works, but I would certainly prefer an OS with no Chinese de_improvements_.

Oh. I missed this.
    Xiaomi.eu claims that in their MIUI fork there is not a single chinese character in the whole OS. I'm using Xioami Global branch and I can confirm that Xioami don't give a fsck about international users. I've found only one Chinese word so far ... in a hidden diagnostic menu, which was patched with my second OTA update.

From what you are saying I can deduce that you have never used MIUI. I can get why you have such predictions, but well... I just dispelled your doubts.

PS. Both global and xiaomi.eu versions have Google integration just like any other phone.

noaman said: I just ordered from aliexpress

32 GB Version

Good choice. I also have 3GB|32GB version. I find 4GB|64GB version to be kinda useless/not worth. I mean... You still get the same SoC! It won't make your phone anyhow faster. All your thirteen applications will open in the same time on both versions. Maybe with the exception that your fourteenth app will open a bit faster on 4GB version. In my opinion 4|64GB version just makes your e-penis longer, nothing else.

Yes after eight core and 3 gb ram Improved specs only make synthetic benchmarks better not the use case

Do note

X20 Chipset has a weaker gpu than 625 Snap Dragon

One more reason to ditch the ten core model

• Update:

It has arrived and I am loving it,,,

Shipping took around 45 days though :-)