Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Node.Js/Angular JS guy here ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Node.Js/Angular JS guy here ?

So, a friend of mine had this site built by someone. The developer was hosting the site on his DO server. For some reason they parted ways and the developer sent them a backup of the site files (and a db).

Now this friend knows nothing about websites and all and asked for my help to host it again. I am not able to make any sense of it is the site-structure is totally new to me. It looks like a angularjs or nodejs based site (no idea). So need help in recognizing what platform it is built in and how/where to host it. I can spin up a VM but no idea what to install/setup.

Any help/pointers will be appreciated.

Comments

• lionlion Member

Tagging @Joepie91

Thanked by 3ehab Clouvider Junkless
  • jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited August 2017

@Junkless said:
    So, a friend of mine had this site built by someone. The developer was hosting the site on his DO server. For some reason they parted ways and the developer sent them a backup of the site files (and a db).

Now this friend knows nothing about websites and all and asked for my help to host it again. I am not able to make any sense of it is the site-structure is totally new to me. It looks like a angularjs or nodejs based site (no idea). So need help in recognizing what platform it is built in and how/where to host it. I can spin up a VM but no idea what to install/setup.

Any help/pointers will be appreciated.

I can help if it's angular/node. Try opening package.json and see if it mentions angular

• HxxxHxxx Member

Angular and AngularJS not the same. If the app is based on the MEAN stack, it probably runs on Node (check more info about the MEAN stack).

If their is no back-end then is more likely to be all HTML, JS (Angular or AngularJS), pretty much a static website.

• @jetchirag said:

I can help if it's angular/node. Try opening package.json and see if it mentions angular

it says :

{
      "name": "sitename",
      "version": "0.0.0",
      "private": true,
      "scripts": {
        "start": "node ./bin/www",
        "test": "mocha"
      },
      "dependencies": {
        "basic-auth": "^1.0.3",
        "body-parser": "~1.13.2",
        "cookie-parser": "~1.3.5",
        "debug": "~2.2.0",
        "dotenv": "^1.2.0",
        "express": "~4.13.1",
        "hbs": "~3.1.0",
        "mime": "^1.3.4",
        "morgan": "~1.6.1",
        "multer": "^1.1.0",
        "pg": "^4.4.3",
        "pg-hstore": "^2.3.2",
        "sequelize": "^3.13.0",
        "serve-favicon": "~2.3.0"
      },
      "devDependencies": {
        "should": "^7.1.1"
      }
    }

• @Junkless said:

@jetchirag said:

it says :

{
    },
    },
    }
    }

It's express based and not angular. Check my pm for commands.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Doesn't seem to be using Angular. But is using ExpressJS... so yeah it runs on nodejs.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • so Node JS it is. Thing is, I did follow a few guides but couldnt manage to bring it up. And from what I have been told, this is supposed to be a static site, but the backup files came with a DB. so not sure what is going on here.

• ehabehab Member

@Junkless why don't you just offer $35 for someone with skills to setup it for you?

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • Give me a PM, I'll help you out for free.

Thanked by 2Junkless ehab
  • Everything is running, just had to restore db but he seem to have gone offline :(

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @jetchirag said:
    Everything is running, just had to restore db but he seem to have gone offline :(

I am here, was cooking dinner :P..

• It's pure express js

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • so many nodejs experts here.

Offtopic query : Is it worth and possible to migrate a xenforo forum to nodebb ?

• @Junkless said:
    so many nodejs experts here.

Offtopic query : Is it worth and possible to migrate a xenforo forum to nodebb ?

Possible? Yes.
    Worth it? Probably not

• @dwtbf said:
    Possible? Yes.
    Worth it? Probably not

can you explain a little ?

• @Junkless said:

@dwtbf said:
    Possible? Yes.
    Worth it? Probably not

can you explain a little ?

He mean that you can move to xenforo technically but it's no better than nodebb

• JunklessJunkless Member
    edited August 2017

well, I am trying to do the opposite. Moving from xenforo forum to nodebb.

• sharuusharuu Member
    edited August 2017

@Junkless said:

@jetchirag said:

it says :

{
    },
    },
    }
    }

Looks like nodejs. You can check info on each package on https://www.npmjs.com . Since there is pg dependency, you must be using Postgres.

Since you have database, you may need to setup the database and run your app.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • so as per jetchirag, there are some issues in importing the DB. I would really appreciate if anyone can help me out with this.

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited August 2017

@Junkless said:
    so as per jetchirag, there are some issues in importing the DB. I would really appreciate if anyone can help me out with this.

Yep, Importing database throws errors. I don't use postgresql but here my points

1. Either the dump wasn't correct to be restored

2. Their might be some error with schema

3. I didn't did restore properly

Again, I am no expert with nodejs but mere learner.

Thanked by 1kazila
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Junkless said:
    well, I am trying to do the opposite. Moving from xenforo forum to nodebb.

Sorry to derail but FWIW, I use nodebb and it is pretty awesome. Migrated from SMF to nodebb earlier this year and haven't looked back. If it's possible to switch over, I'd suggest doing it. And it doesn't require any nodejs knowledge to use it either, which is nice.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • sharuusharuu Member
    edited August 2017

@jetchirag said:

@Junkless said:
    so as per jetchirag, there are some issues in importing the DB. I would really appreciate if anyone can help me out with this.

Yep, Importing database throws errors. I don't use postgresql but here my points

You can try these steps

1) Restore database using pgsql - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/backup-dump.html. You may have to create database, users etc before restoration. I haven't used PG before, so won't be able to help much.

2) https://www.npmjs.com/package/dotenv is used. So you may have to read the code and set / update credentials to database accordingly. You might have a .env file in root of your code, which will have credentials

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @sharuu said:

@jetchirag said:

@Junkless said:

You can try these steps

1) Restore database using pgsql - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/backup-dump.html. You may have to create database, users etc before restoration. I haven't used PG before, so won't be able to help much.

2) https://www.npmjs.com/package/dotenv is used. So you may have to read the code and set / update credentials to database accordingly. You might have a .env file in root of your code, which will have credentials

I created database and user with same credentials as in .env file and restored. Restoring was giving errors like relation does not exist with cmd \i file.sql

pg_restore was giving error that database is not a valid dump

• I love nodebb as well. It's a mystery why discourse gets so much love when it is very resource intensive and so complicated

• sharuusharuu Member
    edited August 2017

I haven't used PG before and not familiar with the issue. Someone who knows postgres may be able to help.

• @Junkless said:

Still have that question about limiting access if you can answer.

• @jetchirag said:
    Still have that question about limiting access if you can answer.

Totally slipped my mind. Apologies. Catch me on Discord in a couple of hours from now.

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • @jetchirag said:
    I created database and user with same credentials as in .env file and restored. Restoring was giving errors like relation does not exist with cmd \i file.sql

So is there anyone who can help with this ^^ ?

• WSSWSS Member

Did you get the complete schema dump or did you recreate it from eyeballing it?