Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

FireFly - Free Gameservers - Instant Deploy

FireFly - Free Gameservers - Instant Deploy

NeoonNeoon Member

Hey Guys,

I am working at FireFly for the past weeks and looking into some Feedback for it.
FireFly basically lets you Instant Deploy free Gameservers, which get extended as long the Server stays active.

Currently we got 2 Locations, Canada and France, if the demand is there, we will extend these Locations.
Each Gameserver comes the the following features:

  • FTP(S) access with 10GB of disk space
  • Possibility to start/stop and remove the Gameserver
  • Possibility to configure parameters for the Gameserver
  • Console

You just need to keep playing 1 Hour per Day, you could also play 4 Hours in a row which would give you additional 4 Days of runtime.

You can find FireFly here: https://fireflygaming.net/

If you want a Game or a specific version of Game to be added to FireFly, let me know.

Thanks.
Neoon.

Comments

  • Want to make money out of it and decrease system load? Make FTP access a paid addon.

    Ultra Affordable VPSs - if you can find cheaper ones let me know! No downtime for nearly two years! | 6GB KVM VPS for $5,99/mo!
    Hybrid Servers - create customizable VPSs on dedicated node managed by wishosting.com | 1TB KVM Storage VPS for $14,99/qt!

  • CConnerCConner Member, Provider

    MrPsycho said: Want to make money out of it and decrease system load? Make FTP access a paid addon.

    Or make it so that you can extend the life of your server by paying. Eg. the http://server.pro model.

    Want to get a free game server? Check out the beta for the new and innovative GamingLayer Control Panel: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/129374/gaminglayer-control-panel-beta-invitation-the-all-in-one-cp-new

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited August 11

    @CConner said:

    MrPsycho said: Want to make money out of it and decrease system load? Make FTP access a paid addon.

    Or make it so that you can extend the life of your server by paying. Eg. the http://server.pro model.

    Well, Currently you can extend the Gameserver up to 9 Days.
    Afterwards you need to be active again, otherwise it expires after 9 days.
    I may change that later.

    Well, FTP is essential, I would not remove that.
    I would rather offer increased Storage and change Support for the free Version to community only.

  • CConnerCConner Member, Provider

    Why are you doing this for free by the way? Why not start a small hosting business?

    Want to get a free game server? Check out the beta for the new and innovative GamingLayer Control Panel: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/129374/gaminglayer-control-panel-beta-invitation-the-all-in-one-cp-new

  • MasonRMasonR Member

    Good stuff! :)

    Do you have any security mechanisms in place to prevent some asshat from spawning a crap ton of game servers at the same time and overloading your resources?

  • Wow hat off.

    |post4vps| for a free vps for your developement| me |

    Thanked by 1Neoon
  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited August 11

    @CConner said: Why are you doing this for free by the way? Why not start a small hosting business?

    Well, FireFly is still young, at the moment its just a hobby project but lets see.

    @MasonR said: Good stuff! :)

    Do you have any security mechanisms in place to prevent some asshat from spawning a crap ton of game servers at the same time and overloading your resources?

    Thanks, yea we do. If you do to much Token requests the Backend will block you for a while.

    Thanked by 1nice
  • HxxxHxxx Member

    I already see the low end scum uploading all kind of malware to the server. I advise against it. Make sure only paid can upload. Also make sure you jail properly.

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited August 11

    @Hxxx said: I already see the low end scum uploading all kind of malware to the server. I advise against it. Make sure only paid can upload. Also make sure you jail properly.

    The users are jailed, the connections to the FTP server are limited also.
    Each account has 10GB as quota, and the executables are locked down.

    So if still someone, comes up, puts malware on it, as soon I get the abuse message, we will take care of it.

  • I said it in another thread but I don't think minecraft suits this "Insta deploy short term" it's something you need to have the server up for one month atleast. Look more at fps such as csgo which would be perfect

    grape

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited August 11

    @corbpie said: I said it in another thread but I don't think minecraft suits this "Insta deploy short term" it's something you need to have the server up for one month atleast. Look more at fps such as csgo which would be perfect

    You can keep the Server as long you use it, even for a month and longer, no issue.

  • lay295lay295 Member

    If you added support for CS:GO that'd be cool.

  • Here is my 2 cents. Turn it into a serivce like runcloud where I can set up multiple instances on any given server of my choice that I own. I would pay for that. :)

  • saf31saf31 Member

    @lay295 said: If you added support for CS:GO that'd be cool.

    +1

    We suffer not from the events in our life, but from our judgment about them - Epictetus

  • add_iTadd_iT Member

    can you add Left 4 Dead 2?

  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Provider

    PM me your requirements, I'll look into sponsoring a Sydney location.

    Thanked by 3MasonR Neoon cece
  • How do you fight massive abuse through spamming of items in Garrys Mod or blowing up the world with TNT in Minecraft?

    Those two games can cause massive service disruption on your service.

    Screw you guys. I'm going home.

  • @Cartman said: How do you fight massive abuse through spamming of items in Garrys Mod or blowing up the world with TNT in Minecraft?

    Those two games can cause massive service disruption on your service.

    Since service is free - insta ban. That's it. Current possition of service is perfect test field on such behavior. Maybe OP gathering info. If product is free, than you are the product. Simple rule.

    LTniger - Light Nigerian Citizen.

  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Provider

    @LTniger said:

    @Cartman said: How do you fight massive abuse through spamming of items in Garrys Mod or blowing up the world with TNT in Minecraft?

    Those two games can cause massive service disruption on your service.

    Since service is free - insta ban. That's it. Current possition of service is perfect test field on such behavior. Maybe OP gathering info. If product is free, than you are the product. Simple rule.

    Mmm, humans as a product.... Haas.. du hass, du has

  • NeoonNeoon Member

    @vladka24 said:

    Fixed, Thanks.

    @cheapwebdev said: Here is my 2 cents. Turn it into a serivce like runcloud where I can set up multiple instances on any given server of my choice that I own. I would pay for that. :)

    Currently no, sorry.

    @Wicked said: I like it. Developed in-house?

    Thanks, yea.

    @pbgben said: PM me your requirements, I'll look into sponsoring a Sydney location.

    @Cartman said: How do you fight massive abuse through spamming of items in Garrys Mod or blowing up the world with TNT in Minecraft?

    Those two games can cause massive service disruption on your service.

    Usually if you use the Server active, you have admins on it.
    In the case, that the Server hangs up at 100% CPU, I am currently working on to set something up, so it gets rebooted.
    Same for automatic Updates for Garrysmod, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Left 4 Dead 2.

    @LTniger said: Since service is free - insta ban.

    I rather throttle CPU usage if you go to high and let you know.

    Maybe OP gathering info. If product is free, than you are the product. Simple rule.

    This is a hobby project, we are not Google or Facebook.

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited August 15

    @add_iT said: can you add Left 4 Dead 2?

    Has been added, also crash detection is in place for Garry's Mod.

    Works fine, cpu usage was quite low, but I guess it depends on the mod you running with it.

    Thanked by 1yomero
  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited August 30

    Small Update:

    After the Server got extended to 24 Hours, the System does now require 2 Players to extend it further instead of 1 Player as before. Existing servers which have been extended beyond, will not get any Points as long only 1 Player keeps playing on it, so it will expire.

    You can find now some Statistics about FireFly here: https://fireflygaming.net/index.php?p=stats I will add more stuff later.

  • @Neoon said: Small Update:

    After the Server got extended to 24 Hours, the System does now require 2 Players to extend it further instead of 1 Player as before. Existing servers which have been extended beyond, will not get any Points as long only 1 Player keeps playing on it, so it will expire.

    You can find now some Statistics about FireFly here: https://fireflygaming.net/index.php?p=stats I will add more stuff later.

    Might as well remove Left4Dead, since no one is deploying L4D servers

    You'll thank me later. https://www.colocrap.me/

  • @Neoon said: Small Update:

    After the Server got extended to 24 Hours, the System does now require 2 Players to extend it further instead of 1 Player as before. Existing servers which have been extended beyond, will not get any Points as long only 1 Player keeps playing on it, so it will expire.

    You can find now some Statistics about FireFly here: https://fireflygaming.net/index.php?p=stats I will add more stuff later.

    A cheap way to try to force on more users. More likely to quit playing early and never end up telling people about it since I quit using the service.

  • NeoonNeoon Member

    @cheapwebdev said: A cheap way to try to force on more users. More likely to quit playing early and never end up telling people about it since I quit using the service.

    No, a Server is supposed to be for more as one Player.
    If you want to play Singelplayer fine, run it on your local machine.

    Thanked by 2Aidan MasonR
  • cheapwebdevcheapwebdev Member
    edited August 31

    @Neoon said:

    @cheapwebdev said: A cheap way to try to force on more users. More likely to quit playing early and never end up telling people about it since I quit using the service.

    No, a Server is supposed to be for more as one Player.
    If you want to play Singelplayer fine, run it on your local machine.

    Some people don't want to overload their computers. I could play tons of games locally, but I also want to protect my personal resources from overheating since my computer has enough running as is.

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited August 31

    @cheapwebdev said: Some people don't want to overload their computers. I could play tons of games locally, but I also want to protect my personal resources from overheating since my computer has enough running as is.

    Well, if you cause a lot of load that even your local machine has issues, the same things would apply to the servers we run.

    I also do not want, that someone deploys a server and causes high CPU load over several days.
    If you do need such high amount resources, then get a dedicated server.

    But I do not know on what Hardware you are running, could be a Pentium 4 but even that can handle Factorio/Minecraft and Garry's Mod.

  • @Neoon Intel Atoms and Pentiums were soooo 1 year ago :P

    You'll thank me later. https://www.colocrap.me/

  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Provider

    @doghouch said: @Neoon Intel Atoms and Pentiums were soooo 1 year ago :P

    Indeed, but that webdev moron is... well, a moron.

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited October 10

    Thanks, already 2400+ servers deployed.

    Small Dashboard Update:

    Bigger Patch planned for end of this week/next week.

    Which basically makes it possible to offer 2 kinds of gameservers.

    • Laze: Runs as long a Player is on the Server, Data will be saved for up to 14 Days.
    • Active: Runs as long the Account has enough points (24/7), if the account runs out of points, the server gets switched to Laze.

    You can upgrade your server from Laze to Active if needed.

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited November 12

    We pushed some updates since my latest post:

    • Automated updates for Garry's Mod are in place
    • We added a new Location: Poland
    • All available versions of Vanilla and Spigot have been added to Minecraft.
    • We increased the storage for Garry's Mod to 15GB instead of 10GB.

    Have fun.

  • @Neoon said: We added a new Location: Poland

    Putting that SerweryDedykowane box to use? How many did you pick up?

  • @MasonR said:

    @Neoon said: We added a new Location: Poland

    Putting that SerweryDedykowane box to use? How many did you pick up?

    Well 1x i7 and 1x i5, I put the i7 into FireFly.

    The i5 is currently just mining monero.

    Thanked by 1MasonR
Sign In or Register to comment.