Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I consider DNS hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I consider DNS hosting?

HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
edited August 2017 in Help

I run a File Hosting site, most of the traffic comes from my own uploads and little from others, but is it worth to get DNS hosting? Reason I ask is its a .eu domain and I hate having to pay for a domain name just to have nameservers for it to host it as its the only domain on the VPS.

I've never used DNS hosting before so bit of a noob at it.

Any tips? Can it be used fine on a file hosting site? not looking for CDN for the actual files I'm hosting though.

And any DNS services to recommend? Was looking at testing out cloudns.net

Thank you

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I always use external DNS, but registrar DNS can be decent enough - depending on the registrar.

CloudNS is fine, but you can also use CloudFlare and just disable the CDN feature.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • @Harambe said:
    I always use external DNS, but registrar DNS can be decent enough - depending on the registrar.

CloudNS is fine, but you can also use CloudFlare and just disable the CDN feature.

Thanks! Yeah I'm just tired of using custom name servers etc for me its pointless.

• What would I need to do DNS zone wise on my VPS?

Thanks.

@HuntersPad said:
    What would I need to do DNS zone wise on my VPS?

Thanks.

Bind. Or you can look at other recommendations around here.

Probably need to do some more searching for a more up to date guide: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-bind-as-a-private-network-dns-server-on-ubuntu-14-04

PowerDNS seems to be a popular option around here as well - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/117118/host-your-own-dns-with-powerdns-on-centos-7#latest

• HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
    edited August 2017

Well I mean like anything I need to do with my DNS zone like using Plesk Panel? When using cloudfare or using default be fine? Also when using something like Cloudfare would you know if it affects adsense at all?

I setup a test domain with Cloudfare and it seems to be working perfect!

@HuntersPad said:
    Well I mean like anything I need to do with my DNS zone like using Plesk Panel? When using cloudfare or using default be fine? Also when using something like Cloudfare would you know if it affects adsense at all?

I setup a test domain with Cloudfare and it seems to be working perfect!

If you've deferred DNS, there would be no zone updates done on your VPS. You do all updates on the DNS provider.

No on the adsense issue. If you turn off the CDN features (orange cloud icon) then it just acts as a normal DNS server, nothing is proxied.

Not sure about the middle question, don't understand what you're asking.

• So Just setting up cloudflare to DNS only under the DNS setting, and changing nameservers and it should just work?

Thanks!

@HuntersPad said:
    So Just setting up cloudflare to DNS only under the DNS setting, and changing nameservers and it should just work?

Thanks!

Yep, that's how it works.

You mentioned Plesk above, obviously you'll still need to create an account/add the domain to that - so you have a virtual host file. But yeah, point domain to CloudFlare DNS and then update records there and you're done DNS-wise.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • One last question, GeoIP is that effected anytime using an external DNS host? Or only something with cloudflare? As with cloudflare without a mod Visitors IPs are incorrect. Would that also happen with CloudDNS?

No. CloudFlare only does that if you have the CDN option turned on, because it's proxying traffic. If you turn that off in CloudFlare it's just pointing directly at the real IP.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • Use CF or name cheap premium DNS that's grate it costs nearly 5$ per year.
    It's good to have premium DNS server.

• There are providers that offer almost the freedom of your own dns servers for free with their servers. Often you can configure all common record types in some kind of easy web interface and/or scripts.

As long as you don't need fancy things that should do fine for you and be quite reliable and trouble free.

Iff you ever set up your own name server, stay away from bind; it's known to be of poor quality and insecure. Some good alternatives are knot (by the czech registry) or nsd (by the NL registry, iirc). Both are also available in the repos of many distros.

• @vishalpatelz said:
    Use CF or name cheap premium DNS that's grate it costs nearly 5$ per year.
    It's good to have premium DNS server.

Don't buy NC PremiumDNS. Compared to CloudFlare, it's a joke.

Thanked by 1sin