Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SYN Flood Problems
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SYN Flood Problems

XakiXaki Member

Hi

I know LET isn't the right place to ask this, but...

Is there any way to "stop" a SYN Flood on a VPS with 1Gbit/s with IPtables?

An UDP flood of 200Mbit/s does nothing on the VPS, but now people are making SYN Floods and those, even a 50Mbit/s can cause a big packet loss :(

Comments

• Try ddos deflate?

• The packets per second matter more than the Mbit/s
    How many PPS you getting?

• XakiXaki Member
    edited July 2013

@Nodepop said:
    Try ddos deflate?

DoS deflate does not work for this type of attacks (I think)

@Spencer said:
    The packets per second matter more than the Mbit/s
    How many PPS you getting?

How can i see the PPS?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

Is there a single source IP (as opposed to spoofed/random)?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

I have a VPS with RamNode where they said SYN cookies are not possible. In that case only solution is iptables, but that only works for non-spoofed source.

• What virtualization as this is more important than anything

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

It would take a very tweaked config to be able to handle 200mbit of SYN floods on standard consumer hardware. You may have more luck on enterprise Intel network cards, but in which case its probably cheaper to use a service that specializes in mitigation instead of working on it yourself.

You should be able handle <50mbit attacks using syn cookies and iptables syn limiting etc.

• @perennate said:
    I have a VPS with RamNode where they said SYN cookies are not possible. In that case only solution is iptables, but that only works for non-spoofed source.

I thought it has to be turned on at the host node? It's not "not possible", just not per VPS.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Well, filtering a syn flood at the server level requires a lot of CPU power, that's why some hosts don't enable syncookies for the whole box.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Its also more than just CPU power involved, syncookies throw away legitimate connections as well. So on a server level your SYN flood will affect everyone on the node (KVM/Xen is slightly different, although the PPS and Bandwidth will still affect).

Have you asked your provider if they have a firewall for rent service, alot of small hardware firewalls can handle this type of thing. Although it may not be possible with a VPS to do so.

• XakiXaki Member

@SplitIce said:
    Its also more than just CPU power involved, syncookies throw away legitimate connections as well. So on a server level your SYN flood will affect everyone on the node (KVM/Xen is slightly different, although the PPS and Bandwidth will still affect).

Have you asked your provider if they have a firewall for rent service, alot of small hardware firewalls can handle this type of thing. Although it may not be possible with a VPS to do so.

So, I have no chance against this, right? (My provider does not have any firewalls ... )

(OpenVZ)

Thanks.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@Xaki

No you don't, I would recommend giving a provider in that field the job to protect you. Your provider most likely only offers VPS and not DDoS protection. 200mbit SYN is a small attack but it will harm your unprotected VPS.

• XakiXaki Member
    edited July 2013

@Ishaq said:
    Xaki

No you don't, I would recommend giving a provider in that field the job to protect you. Your provider most likely only offers VPS and not DDoS protection. 200mbit SYN is a small attack but it will harm your unprotected VPS.

Providers with DDoS protection are too much expensive :(

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

What are you using the server for? There are plenty of possibilities to protect yourself without spending alot of money.

• XakiXaki Member
    edited July 2013

@Jack said:
    BuyVM is $3/mo per IP... Not at all...

But I want protection on nl,es,fr,uk ... BuyVM is USA right?

• IshaqIshaq Member

@Xaki said:
    But I want protection on nl,es,fr,uk ... BuyVM is USA right?

Yes, is Romania good enough? if so PM me.

• XakiXaki Member

@Ishaq said:

Nop, pings are too high :(

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Oh wait, voxility is 52ms from my home Internet in Germany, there are only a few applications that need a very low latency, maybe you should tell us what exactly you're hosting.

• XakiXaki Member

GameServer

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Okay, even this information isn't enough, if you host a minecraft server e.g. a latency of 50ms would be fine, it would work out pretty good.

• XakiXaki Member
    edited July 2013

@tr1cky said:
    Okay, even this information isn't enough, if you host a minecraft server e.g. a latency of 50ms would be fine, it would work out pretty good.

Ya, I know, but remember it's 50ms to your country, not for mine. Anyway, 50ms it's fine...

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Where are you located? You could try and ping x4b.net, they have their site setup with their own protection and this is the same latency you would also get when you would use their services, you would have to get a vps in the same dc aswell though, e.g. server4.pro offers romanian vps, but there are some others around there aswell.

• XakiXaki Member

ping x4b.net = 130ms+

:s