Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Test NVMe UK Hourly - prem de la prem - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beta Test NVMe UK Hourly - prem de la prem

Comments

• Yet another thing!

• Reinstall button does not work! Not only there is no POST from you, but my VPS is still up rock solid.

• MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited August 2017

You guys all do bench.sh benchamrk and post results here, but you all forget what you do first... apt update && apt upgrade -y Here is the time result for fresh Debian 9.

root@vmhaus:~# time apt update && time apt upgrade -y
    Ign:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
    Get:2 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease [62.9 kB]
    Get:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease [88.5 kB]
    [...]
    Get:22 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/non-free Translation-en [79.2 kB]
    Fetched 20.1 MB in 2s (7,123 kB/s)
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    21 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.

real    0m5.579s
    user    0m2.848s
    sys     0m0.200s
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      apt apt-utils base-files libapt-inst2.0 libapt-pkg5.0 libdns-export162 libgnutls30
      libisc-export160 libpam-systemd libsystemd0 libudev1 linux-image-4.9.0-3-amd64
      linux-image-amd64 openssh-client openssh-server openssh-sftp-server perl-base qemu-utils
      systemd systemd-sysv udev
    21 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 51.3 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 6,144 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Get:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 base-files amd64 9.9+deb9u1 [67.2 kB]
    Get:2 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates/main amd64 libisc-export160 amd64 1:9.10.3.dfsg.P4-12.3+deb9u2 [334 kB]
    [...]
    Get:21 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates/main amd64 qemu-utils amd64 1:2.8+dfsg-6+deb9u2 [985 kB]
    Fetched 51.3 MB in 3s (14.7 MB/s)
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 29434 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../base-files_9.9+deb9u1_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking base-files (9.9+deb9u1) over (9.9) ...
    Setting up base-files (9.9+deb9u1) ...
    Installing new version of config file /etc/debian_version ...
    [...]
    (Reading database ... 29434 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../0-libgnutls30_3.5.8-5+deb9u2_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking libgnutls30:amd64 (3.5.8-5+deb9u2) over (3.5.8-5+deb9u1) ...
    [...]
    Preparing to unpack .../8-qemu-utils_1%3a2.8+dfsg-6+deb9u2_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking qemu-utils (1:2.8+dfsg-6+deb9u2) over (1:2.8+dfsg-6) ...
    Setting up libapt-inst2.0:amd64 (1.4.7) ...
    [...]
    Setting up openssh-server (1:7.4p1-10+deb9u1) ...
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130) ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-3-amd64

real    0m33.230s
    user    0m10.128s
    sys     0m1.832s

Edit:

I'm a god damn perfectionist... Yet another thing that could be done better:
    Open in full size here.

Edit2: Default avatar is hosted on @Dawgy CDN. What if it goes offline or Dawgy removes it/denies access to it?

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • Benchmark Run: Thu Aug 10 2017 23:25:49 - 23:54:40

System Benchmarks Index Score 2742.8

Wow i got great score on 512 Ram

• vmhaus said: You'll be provided with a free VPS for the duration of the beta (around 2 weeks) of which will be a 1 Shared Core, 512MB of DDR4 RAM, 10GB of Blisteringly fast NVMe and the 500GB of premium bandwidth.

Well there's a 1GB plan too, are we allow to order that?

• laticlatic Member, Host Rep

One thing I think that is missing from the website is about you (the owners / creators) and what your mission is.

• I think also show the monthly price in deploy screen will be better.

• laneleoeanlaneleoean Member
    edited August 2017

seem like missing a }

Full image

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@latic said:
    One thing I think that is missing from the website is about you (the owners / creators) and what your mission is.

Provide a great service and make $$$?

• Thank you!

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Jesus monkey is awake and banana's consumed

Lets begin @MrPsycho.

Add more templates! For example: Debian 7 and 8. The same thing applies to Ubuntu 14.04. Not everybody is content with newer OS versions. Also think in this order about: Fedora, Windows, FreeBSD, CoreOS.

Debian 7, 8 & Ubuntu 14.04 along with CentOS 6 & 7 are all in the queue. Fedora is on the table along with FreeBSD & CoreOS. Windows will be unlikely and we will leave that to custom ISO (coming soon)

Favicon

UI guy is sleeping then will be mashing head to sort ;)

SSH Key

Thats on me and I'll sort it soon (next few days)

Control panel buttons

I'll ping doggo lets see what he does.

Hire CentOS Dev

We've got some days planned out purely for the templates we can get them done.

Emails are stupid

Yeah I agree now I see it. I've fixed the "your new vmhaus account". I will also later today remove the subnet for IPv4 and make it first name only ;)

Reinstalls don't work

Whoops someone didn't keep gitlab updated it worked on our dev infra.

Now @FlamesRunner

I'd like to give you some free credit but you did abuse the service a little bit. You were very helpful and irritating at the same time. If you'd be happy enough to explain to the users of LET why you've been kicked I might let you back. However credit will apply to others that are useful.

Bonsai is a control panel only not website.

I think also show the monthly price in deploy screen will be better.

Working on it.

Some JS issue

Shouted at UI dev.

@edmond if you really want

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

One word

Preem

Thanked by 1vmhaus

Monkey is back with updates.

1) Emails are now first name only ;)
    2) VPS emails have dropped the subnet for v4 (i left v6 unsure what you guys think)
    3) I have found the issue to not getting emails upon ticket replies. This is now resolved.

Check your accounts/tickets as emails may not have sent before now

Thanked by 1williclarkam

@pbgben said:
    One word

Preem

As a fellow NVMe enthusiast its nice to have your approval

• I'm interested in this location and feature set. I would test if I knew the eventual price of the service. (would be a waste of time for me to test and like your service and then find out its twice what Im willing to pay.)

• SilvestSilvest Member
    edited August 2017

Epic awesomeness :) Got a vm up and running, will be toying with it and already looking forward to when it is out of beta already!

Thanked by 1vmhaus

@JoeMerit said:
    I'm interested in this location and feature set. I would test if I knew the eventual price of the service. (would be a waste of time for me to test and like your service and then find out its twice what Im willing to pay.)

It will be fair. Look at our current pricing for NVMe in London. A custom panel isn't going to increase that cost by 200%.

@Silvest said:
    Epic awesomeness :) Got a vm up and running, will be toying with it and already looking forward to when it is out of beta already!

Anytime. Of course the beta is to ensure its ready for you to pay for fun. Spin to win boys

• @vmhaus said:
    Hope this sums up something, probably didn't long story short E3 + 64GB RAM + 2 RAID 1 NVMe is fine. Is it absolutely jaw dropping no, would E5-1650 allow more clients per machine? Yes, but E3 works for our use case.

Yea, this makes sense - with 2 SSDs and RAID1 (and the inherent Microcloud limitations) and thus less VMs E3/64GB is a good choice.

I pictured nodes more along the lines of a 1U with 4 M.2 SSDs (2 at chipset lanes, 2 in x8 slots on E3, all on CPU lane slots on E5), a RAID10 and more clients (i would conf E5 w/ 128GB RAM thus doubling your E3 RAM, SSDs and adding ~ 2 usable cores more, 25%). You save on operational cost by microcloud and PSU efficiency though for sure.

edited August 2017

@William said:

@vmhaus said:
    Hope this sums up something, probably didn't long story short E3 + 64GB RAM + 2 RAID 1 NVMe is fine. Is it absolutely jaw dropping no, would E5-1650 allow more clients per machine? Yes, but E3 works for our use case.

Yea, this makes sense - with 2 SSDs and RAID1 (and the inherent Microcloud limitations) and thus less VMs E3/64GB is a good choice.

I pictured nodes more along the lines of a 1U with 4 M.2 SSDs (2 at chipset lanes, 2 in x8 slots on E3, all on CPU lane slots on E5), a RAID10 and more clients (i would conf E5 w/ 128GB RAM thus doubling your E3 RAM, SSDs and adding ~ 2 usable cores more, 25%). You save on operational cost by microcloud and PSU efficiency though for sure.

Thats the call for London. However I do believe we are looking towards E5-1650's for other locations where MicroClouds isn't an option ;)

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited August 2017

Got one spinning up and it's AWESOME. Generating keys for OpenVPN was super fast, support was friendly and fast (I got a reply within 4 minutes), and network seems to be great! Nice job there @vmhaus!

Just one thing though, the panel is not that mobile-friendly... :(

@sanvit said:
    Got one spinning up and it's AWESOME. Generating keys for OpenVPN was super fast, support was friendly and fast (I got a reply within 4 minutes), and network seems to be great! Nice job there @vmhaus!

Just one thing though, the panel is not that mobile-friendly... :(

We are working on that in the future. We are looking to make it 100% for mobile, we know from using WHMCS + Virtualizor on our phones the pain.

It should be fast with the CPU & Disk power at hand. Network is thanks to you friend Dom at Clouvider

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Hello,

Reinstall: Bad request. Maybe you fix it already ...

• @vmhaus

Ah I remember now: I was running a stress test on the VM to see how far I could push the limits. Yeah, I'll admit that it wasn't a great idea especially on a shared node.

In all fairness, as soon as I received the ticket, the tests did stop; I killed all of the offending processes. I'm not sure why I was suspended in the end, as it said I'd be suspended if I continued.

• CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2017

Great work on the panel! However the signup form looks very long, it would be nice to have user fill other data later ;)

• From which way your monkeys peel bananas? Because it seems like they are doing it wrong. Initially your login page dimmed from bright green to dark green. That was OK. I wanted to draw your attention to result pages, which were going from bright green to even more bright green, which was making the text unreadable. ...Now your login page goes from bright green to the same unreadably bright green from result pages. Tell your monkeys to ramp up brightness on their monitors and let them compare the colors with second monitor (phone at least) or add some light to the basment they are working in, because with no other light than monitor it feels more readable.

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited August 2017

Maybe the password that's generated shouldn't be such a long string of text, it's not as handy. Otherwise it looks great, the credits don't get used when the machine is off right? Or it's still being used?

The first thing I ever do after passwd on a new VPS, a benchmark:

root@server8:~# ./bench.sh
    Benchmark started on Fri Aug 11 16:27:00 UTC 2017
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
    -----------
    Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz
    CPU Cores       : 1
    Frequency       : 3792.048 MHz
    Memory          : 488 MB
    Swap            :  MB
    Uptime          : 4 min,

OS              : Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
    Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel          : 4.4.0-87-generic
    Hostname        : server8

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is 185.214.69.43

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        112MB/s

^C
    root@server8:~# ./bench.sh -46
    Benchmark started on Fri Aug 11 16:27:06 UTC 2017
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
    -----------
    Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz
    CPU Cores       : 1
    Frequency       : 3792.048 MHz
    Memory          : 488 MB
    Swap            :  MB
    Uptime          : 4 min,

OS              : Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
    Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel          : 4.4.0-87-generic
    Hostname        : reacted

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is reacted

CDN                     Cachefly        112MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          13.3MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       10.3MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       8.56MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       7.81MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       15.5MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          6.58MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       7.00MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         32.8MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        95.2MB/s

Speedtest (IPv6 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv6 is reacted

Atlanta, GA, US         Linode          8.01MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Linode          7.40MB/s
    Newark, NJ, US          Linode          14.6MB/s
    Fremont, CA, US         Linode          2.30MB/s
    Chicago, IL, US         Steadfast       3.43MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          6.78MB/s
    Singapore               Linode          3.02MB/s

Frankfurt, Germany      Linode          16.9MB/s
    London, UK              Linode          106MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        83.9MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 660 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 880 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 894 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 811.333 MB/s

Speeds in the US could be improved but the disk speed is amazing!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Edmond said:
    Maybe the password that's generated shouldn't be such a long string of text, it's not as handy. Otherwise it looks great, the credits don't get used when the machine is off right? Or it's still being used?

Short tend to get breached quicker.

• @Clouvider said:

@Edmond said:

The longer the password, the less VMHaus gets blamed for terminating a compromised server :)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @doghouch said:

@Clouvider said:

@Edmond said:

The longer the password, the less VMHaus gets blamed for terminating a compromised server :)

I guess some people leave it at default and doesn't care. I'm just used to changing it right when I log in. :)

• @Edmond ... you messed up. You pasted terminated benchmark with IP xD